Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR Presten couloir, Lofoten

Poster: A snowHead
Having waved goodbye to Arno, Flounderymark, Hewey and Nick M last Sunday (see various fish-related TRs elsewhere on here), I promptly picked up Will who was arriving on the inbound flight and we headed back out to Lofoten, picking up Chipie en route, who had made his way by boat from Tromso to a tiny port on the coast that day.

With a finite weather window, greatly stabilised snowpack and a few hours of daylight to spare we immediately set about one of our objectives for the trip, the Presten couloir.

Presten couloir - centre of picture - the buttress on the right is over 400m high and a rock-climbers mecca in summer:

The Presten is one of the classic steeper lines of Lofoten and epitomises easy access - you park in a layby, put your skins on your skis and immediately start up the couloir!

The first part of the couloir is skinnable, but soon the angle kicks up and skis go on the pack:

Will putting in the bootpack below the narrows:

Looking back from below the narrows:

Some years/weeks this section is blue ice & rock - there was definitely blue ice underneath the snow, but no problem on the way up or down:

Above the narrows the couloir keeps on kicking up and gave an interesting finale of thin snow over frozen grass and reindeer moss. Not too bad with crampons, but potentially stimulating on the way down!
A chilly breeze was blowing at 500m at the top of the couloir so we didn't hang about too long and got straight into the descent.

Will contemplating the frozen grass section:

A pair of sea eagles were keeping an eye on Chipie's turns in the top section - maybe hoping for an easy meal?:

Chipie again:

Will letting rip through the narrows:

Less exposed from here, time to enjoy the skiing & the backdrop:

Great ambiance in the couloir:

Evening light... nice... :

Chipie - 'air to beach':

A classic line, and we made it to Henningsvaer just in time for a plate of cod stew and a pint of eye-wateringly expensive Nordlands beer...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
offpisteskiing wrote:

$$$
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm packing my crampons and axe next year!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
life jacket with ABS needed!!!

amazing though! Lofoten now top of my hitlist Razz
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999 wrote:
$$$
+1 : one for next year's Snowheads calendar

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 15-04-13 17:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Very nice!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stunning. Glad your trip turning out so good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sweet Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno wrote:
I'm packing my crampons and axe next year!

Ahhhh, more shiny things for Christmas for me then snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
offpisteskiing wrote:

Will contemplating the frozen grass section:

Good times in Lofoten. What we all would give to be half as good as Will or ski half of what he has skied.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wow, that looks exciting. Not sure I'd be fit enough to climb up now, though - assuming I've got the bottle for the down - which looks quite exposed in places Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball, it's amazing what a difference climbing at sea level makes. the up is like a moderately energetic walk in the Lake District and then you have a nice ski down
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
God, that looks beautiful. Would that I were 40 years younger, 400% fitter, and could actually ski competently enough for it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fabulous. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dropping into that thing, I would want all leg energy available...
latest report
We need a snowHeads Lofoten touring bash!
snow report
So: On Wednesday, I turn my calendar over at work to reveal a picture of Lofoten. Yesterday Flouncymark messages me with news that offpisteskiing is thinking about plans for next season. And today this thread gets bumped. It's a conspiracy, I tell you.... rolling eyes
latest report
davidof wrote:
What we all would give to be half as good as Will or ski half of what he has skied.

davidof he will be sorely missed by a lot of people...
snow conditions
I recently bought a painting of Lyngen - I'd not heard of this amazing place, though.

Arno, yes, I can see that would make it easier. I have walked up 1,000 metres a couple of times at Alpine heights but I didn't enjoy it.

I bought crampons for my ski-boots last season - perhaps time I bought an ice-axe.....
snow conditions
Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
I stayed around the corner in the apartments above the private bar (blown down in astorm). Stunning place.

Brother in laws boss owned the place
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy