Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic Skier Ross Welch//Freestyle Video

Poster: A snowHead
Here is a short edit from my time in Portes du soleil, pre injury.
More information can be found at www.rosswelch.co.uk

Ross Welch - Portes du soleil from Ross Welch
https://vimeo.com/64001231

Nice or constructive comments only.

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Like it. Tell me though: do freestylers wear knee support? All that flying off stuff must takes its toll on your knees by the end of the day.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
c0Ka|Ne wrote:
Like it. Tell me though: do freestylers wear knee support? All that flying off stuff must takes its toll on your knees by the end of the day.
We often do. Normally after injury or when problems start to arise. I personally wear knee pads from time to time as it dosent limit movement and keeps my knees warm enough to help prevent injury.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Coolio. Nice crash at the end, missed that when watching it first time around!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Are you wanting criticism on the editing or filming or skiing?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mag1882 wrote:
Are you wanting criticism on the editing or filming or skiing?
I was mainly putting it out there for people to watch and enjoy. Im always open to feedback but the reason for saying 'Nice or constructive comments only.' is because in my experience, forums tend to generate hate.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll just comment on the editing then as obviously you weren't filming, and clearly you're a pretty good skier.

I don't really give a Be Nice please! if you say be nice only, cause that's not gonna help you at all. Regardless it's not like I'm being mean.

Don't use 2.35:1 unless A. You planned it in advance so you don't end up cropping heads, and B it actually works with the edit, sure sometimes it did, but most of the time it wasn't a good choice.

Don't overslow your footage, set it to 24 frames at most.

0:17 was perfect.

0:21 definitely shouldn't have been used, just ridiculously shaky and soft/oof

Excessive contrast on quite a lot of the shots, and overexposed on some, but I'm not sure that was on you.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mag1882, Thanks for the feedback. Fingers crossed next years edit will surpass this.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I liked it - nice variety on filming angles and features, which is fairly unusual for park edits.

Post it in 'The Piste,' you'll get more views/exposure.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent, not entirely sure I agree with mag1882 above but to each his own.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
meh, Feel free to disagree, but at least state which part?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mag1882, attitude to start off with. You seem to manage to ignore that he did ask politely for constructive feedback which you ignored in order to have a little rant.

I don't see the problem with the crop to aspect ratio at all.

You meant 24fps at the least not most. The best way to think about it are the old movie terms overcranking and undercranking. Increase the rate that frames are shown to speed up, decrease to slow down.

I'm not sure excessive contrast is a flaw as such. If it is its a subjective one high contrast stuff can be awesome. Probably somewhat impossible to colour balance all the different cameras contributing anyway, especially for a short edit.

In short it's a two minute ski edit with good skiing content. Barely anyone is going to notice slight technical imperfections anyway so its not necessarily worth fixing them. The guy is obviously putting this up as a cool little promo for his skiing and not looking for an in depth critique of cinematography.

TGR would probably same something about lady bitsing up the thread. Razz
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
meh wrote:
mag1882, attitude to start off with. You seem to manage to ignore that he did ask politely for constructive feedback which you ignored in order to have a little rant.

I don't see the problem with the crop to aspect ratio at all.

You meant 24fps at the least not most. The best way to think about it are the old movie terms overcranking and undercranking. Increase the rate that frames are shown to speed up, decrease to slow down.

I'm not sure excessive contrast is a flaw as such. If it is its a subjective one high contrast stuff can be awesome. Probably somewhat impossible to colour balance all the different cameras contributing anyway, especially for a short edit.

In short it's a two minute ski edit with good skiing content. Barely anyone is going to notice slight technical imperfections anyway so its not necessarily worth fixing them. The guy is obviously putting this up as a cool little promo for his skiing and not looking for an in depth critique of cinematography.

TGR would probably same something about lady bitsing up the thread. Razz

I really don't care, you can't ask for nice comments, I'm gonna say what's gonna be most useful.

Believe me, it doesn't work, let alone because of the framing, even without 2.35:1 I'd probably say it's still too tight and cutting off heads, his crash at the end is a prime example of how 2.35:1 has ruined the framing(although I'm not sure if he moved the video upwards so it may have just been a missed shot.

Depends on how you look at it. I guess I worded it badly, but what I was meaning was slow it down to 24fps at the most. Afraid I wasn't around for old movies, depending how old you consider.

Well the whole point of using a decent camera is having dynamic range, you boost the contrast and you've lost that, snow becomes solid white with no detail and the skier becomes black.

True, but there's always something to improve on, I could go into way more detail but I figured it wouldn't bother most people. There's no denying that it's decent skiing, especially for a brit(I'm assuming).

I'm sure they'd start off by calling everyone a JONG haha.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rolling eyes

He asked for "nice or constructive" comments. You seem unable to comprehend the word or and the word constructive. My last point was that we should leave the nice gentlemans thread alone and argue about cinematography somewhere more appropriate. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sweet video mate. Good skills. Keep it up.
ski holidays
rosco,
RESPECT Dude, Epic skills
You own that park mate! in fact nice colour co-ord rails at 1:15 wink
What's appening with Gap Nation?
snow report
meh wrote:
rolling eyes

He asked for "nice or constructive" comments. You seem unable to comprehend the word or and the word constructive. My last point was that we should leave the nice gentlemans thread alone and argue about cinematography somewhere more appropriate. Very Happy

But where else than in this thread?

Rosco has got some good skills, but to me (as a complete armchair punter) the filming does let it down somewhat - too much on flat light days, making it hard to see what's going on, focus not great in places. If you're going to want to woo prospective sponsors then I think at bit more attention to the quality of the filming would help.

Avoriaz does seem to leave a lot of furniture around it's pistes...
ski holidays
bertie bassett, probably somewhere the discussion didn't end in April. Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy