Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

question - are there ANY light sensitive/photochromatic goggles for kids?

Poster: A snowHead
I use a range of OTG goggles, and for a photochromatic goggle the SCOTT icon bronze seems a perfect goggle for this time of year - flat light in the morning punctuated with bright periods or layers. The Amplifier lens is as good as any yellow tint, but darkens nicely when the sun hits.

But I bother about my kids. They ski flat light and out of bounds, and they need the same kind of versatility and protection which I enjoy. But I just can't find any light sensitive goggles for them (age 7 and 9) and boy have I looked, in shops and on line. If I put them in cat1 yellows at the beginning of the day for when the light is flat flat flat, I can't expect them to know when to switch to a cat3 dark tint - and come to that, there aren't many cat3 dark tints out there for kids.

any ideas?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
valais2, have you tried looking at some of the brands which do adult models specifically for smaller faces? A couple which come to mind are Smith Anthem and Smith I/O S. not sure what the lens options are but I think they do a photochromic. My son is 8, he now uses a Smith Stance, which fits well (not as deep) and came with two lenses, a yellow one and a red sol x mirror, I make a call in the morning and change the lens at lunchtime if needed. To be honest for myself, I use a smith ignitor mirror in all conditions and it works well, I'm not sure I've ever changed it for the other lens which came with the goggles. So maybe a really good all conditions lens might work?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
xx

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 9-03-14 15:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
valais2, Try searching Google for Spy Targa kids goggles. Grown-up quality for smaller faces. My kids use them and I believe they do a range of lenses.

As a search term try: spy targa goggles kids lenses

Be prepared to pay £25-£30 a set.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yes we have a pair of Bolle ones from Costco that fit my 10 and 13 year old, in fact was thinking of trying to find a 2nd pair as one between two doesn't work that well
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
yes we have a pair of Bolle ones from Costco that fit my 10 and 13 year old, in fact was thinking of trying to find a 2nd pair as one between two doesn't work that well

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
slikedges, I had an eyetest last week and I was pleasantly surprised Smile The hubby had just got reading glasses but my vision was still nice and sharp all round thanks to my laser correction a few years ago.

Megamum, we had some Spy Targa, decent quality, but didn't fit well so flogged them off on ebay for more than I paid in the end (very cheap in TKMaxx).

valais2, the Smith ones I picked up for my son were very cheap in an end of season sale in the US.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sarah, slikedges, sarah many thanks - this is really helpful - the photochromic red lens on the stance looks like it's exactly what we need.

Slikedges - not quite sure I agree - yes their acuity is up on mine, but they need the high transmission lens for flat light off piste, they need to see every obstacle - hidden rocks and trunks, tree pits, drop offs, etc etc and although all good lens are UV reducing (uv400 rated) they get sore red-eye if they use the yellow and orange lens in the bright easter sun - hence the need for a lower transmission lens. I don't think this is 'cossetting' the kids, it's just giving them the same level of equipment that I expect to have.

kitenski, many thanks, I'll take a look at the Spy range

Thanks for all the helpful pointers...SH at its best....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
valais2, if you find a Smith goggle with an ignitor mirror lens as standard try that first before buying any more lenses, you might be pleasantly surprised, it really is an excellent all conditions lens.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sarah, many thanks - on your advice and the various on-line reviews, I just bought a pair of smith small-med frames with ignitor lems - will give that a go and see how it pans out - many thanks again
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
valais2, fair enough if they're having problems. It's not just acuity though - younger people can discern contrast not perceptible to older people at both higher and lower lux levels.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slikedges wrote:
valais2, fair enough if they're having problems. It's not just acuity though - younger people can discern contrast not perceptible to older people at both higher and lower lux levels.

This is really interesting and I didn't know that. Might explain why my son is just not fazed by flat light conditions and skis on near normally whereas I slow down and pick my way and generally don't much like it.

valais2 sounds good, I might try to get an ignitor for the Stance rather than swap the lenses, hope they workout ok for you.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FWIW I've been using a pair of Scott Black Chrome spherical amplifier lenses. I think they out-perform my Oakleys with their Hi-Vis yellow lens in low light, and I've used them in sunny conditions without too much issue.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
xx

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 9-03-14 15:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges, fantastic, I have yet another excuse for why my son skis so much better than me Laughing
snow conditions
sarah, +1 and why they always tell me that they don't have my problems with flat light. Puzzled Very Happy
snow conditions
sarah wrote:
valais2, if you find a Smith goggle with an ignitor mirror lens as standard try that first before buying any more lenses, you might be pleasantly surprised, it really is an excellent all conditions lens.

Think that is down to the user as I can't see a thing in my ignitor mirrors in flat light and in fact don't use them even if it is reasonably bright but with cloud cover.
snow report
Resurrecting old thread.

My 6 year old struggled a bit on Saturday with the light (or lack of it) at Cairngorm. He complained he couldn't see properly and he had a few falls that dented his confidence a bit. My Bolle's with photochromic lens were excellent. I had no problems at any time. It made me think that the answer could be a pair with photochromic lenses for my son, however, there simply doesn't appear to be such a thing on the market. He has a fairly large head so one option would be a woman's pair so long as they were not girlie!

Has anyone had any luck finding kids photochromic goggles?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy