Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hi! and a question about doing my first season

Poster: A snowHead
Hi SnowHeads!

I'm a long time lurker here, been coming here most days in the winter months and even in the summer to console myself over the lack of snow! It is definitely about time to join in.

My skiing journey started about 6 years ago, with my dad and sister begging me to come on their annual ski trip to Andorra. After running out of excuses for why I couldn't go, I resigned myself to the fact and joined up. From the first morning of ski school, I could tell that this was something I was going to love for a very long time, my only regret being that I only started in my twenties! Since then I've been going to the slopes as many times a year as I can afford. Since my first tentative turns in Soldeu, I've been to Les Trois Vallies, La Plagne and even to Whistler for a day when working in Vancouver.

So I'm planning on embarking on my first ski season next season. I've been living and working in London for the last 5 years or so and I think its time for a change. What better excuse to take some time out and get some quality skiing in? I've been saving for a rainy day for a while now so I'm planning to go out there and see how long that lasts. I really want to get as much skiing in as possible in my time out there.

I've not 100% decided on where I'd like to go yet. I'm really keen on Austria, It's a place I've never been to before and everyone I've spoken to who has been there has recommended it. SnowHeads who have done seasons in the past - have you got any advice? I guess I would prefer a place that has a decent seasonaire community. Although my priority out there will definitely be on the skiing, a good apres scene is always appreciated!

Anyway, I'm very excited about it all! Can't wait for the summer to roll around and see the white stuff falling from the sky again.

Cheers,
Ciaran

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 14-04-13 16:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting... Can I ask what type of skiing do you prefer and what standard?

I've only ever worked ski seasons, never been a 'Ski bum' as such.

The 'Ski Bum' community that i've bumped into, tend to be hardcore skiers with a few years experience under their belts. Lots like the 'gnarly' stuff...backcountry and freeskiing...searching powder stash's...or are Park rats. In the 'typical' English resorts you get the hoorays in their early 20's doing 'seasons spending Daddy's money and staying in their owned chalets...they tend to be more into apres and pottering around the Intermediate pistes.

Because I've worked for TO's i've tended to find my own community to ski with... generally people i'm working with for the season... I've often wondered how first time 'Ski bums' manage to find people to hang with if they go out on their own, don't work and don't know anyone.

Just a thought... have you considered doing a Ski Course for the season instead of just 'Skiing' and frittering your money?
You learn a lot, Ski all day, have a ready made community of likeminded people to ski with,make great friends, have a good craic and come away a better skier and often with a useful Qualification.

I'm sure some on here have far more experience and knowledge than me...whatever you choose...have fun snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spud wrote:
Interesting... Can I ask what type of skiing do you prefer and what standard?

I've only ever worked ski seasons, never been a 'Ski bum' as such.

The 'Ski Bum' community that i've bumped into, tend to be hardcore skiers with a few years experience under their belts. Lots like the 'gnarly' stuff...backcountry and freeskiing...searching powder stash's...or are Park rats. In the 'typical' English resorts you get the hoorays in their early 20's doing 'seasons spending Daddy's money and staying in their owned chalets...they tend to be more into apres and pottering around the Intermediate pistes.

Because I've worked for TO's i've tended to find my own community to ski with... generally people i'm working with for the season... I've often wondered how first time 'Ski bums' manage to find people to hang with if they go out on their own, don't work and don't know anyone.

Just a thought... have you considered doing a Ski Course for the season instead of just 'Skiing' and frittering your money?
You learn a lot, Ski all day, have a ready made community of likeminded people to ski with,make great friends, have a good craic and come away a better skier and often with a useful Qualification.

I'm sure some on here have far more experience and knowledge than me...whatever you choose...have fun snowHead

I guess saying i'm a 'confident intermediate' skiier doesn't really help, since 'intermediate' is such a vague description of someone's ability... I'll generally attempt anything pisted in a resort and apart from the nasty steep mogully blacks I feel in control. I really like challenging myself with steep stuff, and I do love a fast run down an empty piste. After my last trip in March where we enjoyed a beautiful clear day after a week of solid snow, some of the stuff we did that day on the fresh snow just off the piste was just amazing, the best day of skiing i've ever had. I'd love to get into that more too. I recently did a couple of hours of freestyle lessons over at the indoor slope in hemel, and that was great fun too!

I've definitely considered doing a ski course, it sounds like a good thing to concentrate on and will hopefully give me a chance to really improve my skiing too. Maybe its worth looking into that idea again. Thanks for the advice Smile Although i'm massively looking forward to the experience, it's a little daunting sometimes! Hence why i'm trying to get planning early.

spud, where have you done seasons in the past if you don't mind me asking?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gotta admit I agree with spud on the demographic of ski bums! There's a pretty good seasonaire community in Mayrhofen (been there the last 5 years) and the skiing in the Zillertal is world class, great place to do your first season.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ciaranw wrote:
I'm really keen on Austria, It's a resort I've never been to before

Really don't want to come across as "one of those guys", but you are aware that Austria's a country and not a single resort...?

I'd second the voices saying do a course of some kind, as much as I love skiing I find just skiing around (especially on my own) to get a bit boring after a while and would definitely get fed up after a season of it. I went out to Canada with Nonstop and did the CSIA instructor course. Superb stuff. You're with like-minded people for 3 months with tuition 4/5 days a week and plenty of freedom to ski every additional day you want. And as long as you don't mind the occasional "ey" and "aboot", no language barrier with the locals, either!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thedrewski wrote:
ciaranw wrote:
I'm really keen on Austria, It's a resort I've never been to before

Really don't want to come across as "one of those guys", but you are aware that Austria's a country and not a single resort...?

Whoops, don't I look like the fool now? Embarassed That'll teach me to pay more attention, edited my post! Yeah, been looking at all the different resorts and ski areas in Austria and I'm having a hard time choosing. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much, and should just pick one and go out and enjoy it?

thedrewski wrote:

I'd second the voices saying do a course of some kind, as much as I love skiing I find just skiing around (especially on my own) to get a bit boring after a while and would definitely get fed up after a season of it. I went out to Canada with Nonstop and did the CSIA instructor course. Superb stuff. You're with like-minded people for 3 months with tuition 4/5 days a week and plenty of freedom to ski every additional day you want. And as long as you don't mind the occasional "ey" and "aboot", no language barrier with the locals, either!

Canada is another consideration, I've been out to Vancouver a few times with a previous job and the people and attitude out there suit me perfectly. Everyone is really nice and pretty laid back, despite it raining all the time there! I suppose though, if I lived in a place within a 30 min drive of a local hill and a few hours from Whistler I wouldn't mind a little rain here and there!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Speaking from a standpoint of complete inexperience I'd agree that you really want to do a course, or get a nice cushy job. Just skiing for the sake of it might get v dull, especially when the weather is bad. Personally, I'd go to Europe, learn a language, get a part time job.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ciaranw, have you made your mind up that you're definitely not going to work on your season?

I first did a season of sorts 3 years back, and I was in a similar situtation to you (only I was around 10 years older). I fancied a break from my working life, and had always wanted to do a winter season but work got in the way. So I spent a month and a half skiing in Tignes plus 3 or 4 weeks in Les Gets and La Thuile in Italy for my first "season". I did no work, just skied almost every day. After that I decided that I wanted to do a full season, but I knew that I wanted to have something else going on, so I got a job as a rep for a tour operator. And I have to say I enjoyed that first working season much, much more than the previous one, despite the fact that I was working. I met loads more people (some of whom will be friends for life), and when you have nothing to do but ski for 5 months I found I needed something else other than slopes. If I had been so inclined I still could have skied on 6 days out of 7; as its was I probably averaged 4 days a week throughout the season, which I found was absolutely plenty.

Different strokes for different folks, but personally speaking I'm not sure if I could do a whole winter season without working. And it really is the best way to get to meet people (and more importantly bar owners for cheap drinks......!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dav wrote:
ciaranw, have you made your mind up that you're definitely not going to work on your season?

I first did a season of sorts 3 years back, and I was in a similar situtation to you (only I was around 10 years older). I fancied a break from my working life, and had always wanted to do a winter season but work got in the way. So I spent a month and a half skiing in Tignes plus 3 or 4 weeks in Les Gets and La Thuile in Italy for my first "season". I did no work, just skied almost every day. After that I decided that I wanted to do a full season, but I knew that I wanted to have something else going on, so I got a job as a rep for a tour operator. And I have to say I enjoyed that first working season much, much more than the previous one, despite the fact that I was working. I met loads more people (some of whom will be friends for life), and when you have nothing to do but ski for 5 months I found I needed something else other than slopes. If I had been so inclined I still could have skied on 6 days out of 7; as its was I probably averaged 4 days a week throughout the season, which I found was absolutely plenty.

Different strokes for different folks, but personally speaking I'm not sure if I could do a whole winter season without working. And it really is the best way to get to meet people (and more importantly bar owners for cheap drinks......!)

No decision made, i'm still trying to decide the best course of action. And getting a job with a TO would definitely be the easiest way to go ahead, get to know people. I'm just worried, having chatted to one of the chalet hosts this year in La Plagne, that she only had been out on the mountain a handful of times in the 4 weeks she'd been there. I guess it all comes down to the job you go for, and how much you really want to be out on the mountain.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ciaranw wrote:
No decision made, i'm still trying to decide the best course of action. And getting a job with a TO would definitely be the easiest way to go ahead, get to know people. I'm just worried, having chatted to one of the chalet hosts this year in La Plagne, that she only had been out on the mountain a handful of times in the 4 weeks she'd been there. I guess it all comes down to the job you go for, and how much you really want to be out on the mountain.

Yep, it definitely depends on your choice of job. Like I said my first season was as a rep, my second as a resort manager for a chalet company (5 chalets in Meribel). I repped for Crystal in Les Arcs; one of a team of 14, and met many other people out there. The job was a complete piece of p*ss, and I actually found it very enjoyable, even the "dreaded" airport days. Working as a chalet host; that just wouldn't be my thing at all, especially after having managed chalet hosts. Working as a rep you get much, much more time off. The downsides are running events such as bar crawl and such like, which get tiresome pretty quickly, but its a great social time and leaves more than enough free time to ski.

Saying that, some of the older hosts I managed last year (in their 30s and 40s) were organised enough to have completed breakfast service etc by 10, were out on the mountain straight away and stayed out until 4 or 5 before heading back for dinner service. So it can be done, but I think its quite hard work.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Your chalet host in La Plagne wasn't a very good one then- my first season was in a chalet and I could have gone out 5/6 days out of 7.

Second season we took part time jobs just so we would both meet friends and ski buddies quickly.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If I had the money, I'd gladly bum a season - missed powder days suck. Go to a smallish resort, hang around the bars long enough, and as long as you have at least some social skills, you'll get to know other seasonaires to ski with very quickly. If you're interested in Austria, I'd recommend Saalbach as a good place to look into. Large pisted area, lots of mellow (and some gnar) offpiste, good park, lively town with good apres, and the seasonaire community is very easy to 'break into' - I've only worked peak weeks there, but was very quickly able to get to know a lot of people. Tend to be more Dutch and Skandi seasonaires than Brits (though of course there are some), but the communal language is usually English. Check out Underbar and Spitzbub, really friendly scene, you'll soon make friends.

The Gap Year courses are great, but, especially if you want a season-long one, reeeaaallly expensive. I did a four week one in St Anton a few years ago, qualified to teach by Christmas, then work the rest of the season. My skiing improved beyond all recognition, but then working 6 days a week limits your freeski time, and trust me, teaching snowplough while your mates are balls deep in pow isn't great. I still had an awesome time, but if I could have done it without having to work afterwards, it would have been even better (didn't have enough money though).

If you've got enough money to tide you over for the season, as well as regular (maybe two mornings a week) lessons, I think you'd see the same sort of improvement, while having a lot more ski time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dav wrote:
Saying that, some of the older hosts I managed last year (in their 30s and 40s) were organised enough to have completed breakfast service etc by 10, were out on the mountain straight away and stayed out until 4 or 5 before heading back for dinner service. So it can be done, but I think its quite hard work.

Nadenoodlee wrote:
Your chalet host in La Plagne wasn't a very good one then- my first season was in a chalet and I could have gone out 5/6 days out of 7.

Second season we took part time jobs just so we would both meet friends and ski buddies quickly.

Yeah, think this was the case. The host in La Plagne was the only host in a chalet of 12, working in a tiny kitchen. She seemed to be having fun though, despite the lack of time on the slopes. A couple of years ago we stayed in a place in La Tania, hosted by a young couple. They'd got the routine down to a T, sometimes they were out and on the slopes before some of the other guests staying with us!

clarky999 wrote:
If I had the money, I'd gladly bum a season - missed powder days suck. Go to a smallish resort, hang around the bars long enough, and as long as you have at least some social skills, you'll get to know other seasonaires to ski with very quickly. If you're interested in Austria, I'd recommend Saalbach as a good place to look into. Large pisted area, lots of mellow (and some gnar) offpiste, good park, lively town with good apres, and the seasonaire community is very easy to 'break into' - I've only worked peak weeks there, but was very quickly able to get to know a lot of people. Tend to be more Dutch and Skandi seasonaires than Brits (though of course there are some), but the communal language is usually English. Check out Underbar and Spitzbub, really friendly scene, you'll soon make friends.

This sounds really up my street. I'll take a look into Saalbach.

Thanks for the advice so far, everybody!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And whatever money you think you need- double it- it's worth doing it properly wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ciaranw wrote:
Dav wrote:

Nadenoodlee wrote:

Yeah, think this was the case. The host in La Plagne was the only host in a chalet of 12, working in a tiny kitchen. She seemed to be having fun though, despite the lack of time on the slopes. A couple of years ago we stayed in a place in La Tania, hosted by a young couple. They'd got the routine down to a T, sometimes they were out and on the slopes before some of the other guests staying with us!

clarky999 wrote:

This sounds really up my street. I'll take a look into Saalbach.

Thanks for the advice so far, everybody!

Blimey... Shocked I worked as a Chalet Host in La Plagne once. I had a chalet for 12... just me. Out the door latest 10.30am. Skied all day until 5.00pm. Then out Chalet by 9.45pm most nights. Skied probably 5 1/2 days a week... easy work and great fun.
I also did my season course in Canada. Never saw any rain... Whisler is renowed for it though. Best season i've ever had...awesome fun and came away with Qualifications and a job Instructing...that's what I do now Razz
Think i'd get bored with no structure to a season.

As you asked... I've worked in Resorts in France, Austria and Canada.
ski holidays
Quote:

Go to a smallish resort, hang around the bars long enough, and as long as you have at least some social skills, you'll get to know other seasonaires to ski with very quickly.

There was a really interesting thread on here somewhere by someone who did just that - didn't work, rented a studio and went to a quiet resort but part of a big linked area and got sociable in the bar.

Um, not realyl helpful I know but maybe someone can remember the posters name / thread?
latest report
kat.ryb, it was Bertie Bassett
latest report
Search for Zero-G, she has just done a season without working and posted up about it a few days ago, that's maybe the onekat.ryb means?
ski holidays
Thanks holidayloverxx, I think you're right
ski holidays
Loads of potential here.... yes you could simply bum, and if you put the time and effort in and get out to resort before the season starts and meet the seasonaires as they arrive in resort you can make some good mates but if you wait until the resort opens for tourists and don't put the effort in then it is very hard to "break in to" the crowd.

But, seasonaires tend to look at ski bums in a funny way.... not sure how to describe it but they tend not to think of them as all the same as you're not working and they are.

One way to get over this is to actually go in to a "decent" shared house.... there vary massively from 4 people in a 19sqm studio through to 8 bedroom chalets/houses with a maximum of 2 single beds in each room in these ones that will give you 15 others to ski with.

I think, if I were to be heading out for my 1st season (without family, dog etc etc etc) then I would go this route.

The availability of a decent house and the depth of your pockets would drive where you go.

The nicest shared accommodation (imo) is in Whistler, there's some nice ones in Morzine, a small but nice one in Meribel, Les Arc has several hostels, Val d'Isere tends to be 19sqm studios with 4 people in.
latest report
ciaranw, I would try and get some work of some description, it does give you a common bond with the other seasonnaires wherever you may end up. Plan your time well and you'll have plenty of skiing time, its all about organising, in my experience the more you plan, the easier your day pans out. But you should go for it though and I wish you all good luck whatever you choose do do.
ski holidays
I am writing from the perspective of somebody with absolutely no experience of doing this, but who has seen what it's like from the guest side of things. I'm guessing that if you've been working for five years then you're 26ish...

In your shoes I'd be looking at chalet hosting. Repping doesn't look like much fun at all as it eats into the slope time. I've often heard that there are three things to do when doing a season: work, ski and party, and that you can only manage two of them. I'd be running a chalet, myself, with the expectation of being on the slopes by 10am daily - at the latest. At your age (if I've guessed right) you'd be much more desirable than the average 18 year old, so would get a job in a much better chalet; the tips better, the staff-treatment better. And I'd want to have a job to do, if stuck out with nothing to do but ski for five months.
snow report
James the Last, as a former rep I'm really not sure where you're getting your "eats into slope time" from. It completely doesn't, in fact its just the opposite. The major daytime hours of repping come on transfer day and taking the coaches to/from the airport (and no TO staff can ski on transfer day anyway, certainly not chalet staff who have to turn around their chalets in record time for newly arriving guests). As a rep you may lose an afternoon here or there accompanying excursions or other ad hoc duties, but hotel/chalet/apartment visits are all done in the evenings, and most days are free. As a rep I could easily have skied 4 full days and 2 half days per week, every week of the season.
ski holidays
marcellus wrote:
Loads of potential here.... yes you could simply bum, and if you put the time and effort in and get out to resort before the season starts and meet the seasonaires as they arrive in resort you can make some good mates but if you wait until the resort opens for tourists and don't put the effort in then it is very hard to "break in to" the crowd.

But, seasonaires tend to look at ski bums in a funny way.... not sure how to describe it but they tend not to think of them as all the same as you're not working and they are.

One way to get over this is to actually go in to a "decent" shared house.... there vary massively from 4 people in a 19sqm studio through to 8 bedroom chalets/houses with a maximum of 2 single beds in each room in these ones that will give you 15 others to ski with.

I think, if I were to be heading out for my 1st season (without family, dog etc etc etc) then I would go this route.

The availability of a decent house and the depth of your pockets would drive where you go.

The nicest shared accommodation (imo) is in Whistler, there's some nice ones in Morzine, a small but nice one in Meribel, Les Arc has several hostels, Val d'Isere tends to be 19sqm studios with 4 people in.

This sounds pretty much like what I was planning to do - rent an apartment with a fellow ski bum and that way you know someone straight off. Just have to find a fellow ski bum...any takers here? wink Thought not!

Swissie wrote:
ciaranw, I would try and get some work of some description, it does give you a common bond with the other seasonnaires wherever you may end up. Plan your time well and you'll have plenty of skiing time, its all about organising, in my experience the more you plan, the easier your day pans out. But you should go for it though and I wish you all good luck whatever you choose do do.

Thanks Swissie! As I said earlier I'm really looking forward to this. I'm sure whatever I end up doing, I can get something great out of my time in the mountains.
snow report
Hi Ciaranw,

I am actually looking for a fellow skibum possible for season 13/14.

I did a ski season in La plagne, Bellecote 11/12 and loved it, i do however have a job, but i am very lucky that i can do this job anywhere that has internet. i have been dreaming off doing another season. even though i had work to do, i found myself on the slopes most of the time, do not listedn to the people saying you would get bored, rubbish, there is always something to do, off piste, park, free skiing, on some days i would just try and ski in switch for the day or just one leg ski, stuff like that will progress your skiing no end.

When i completed season 11/12 i did on my own (didn't really read all the posts above about working, being lonely) and i found, being quite a social guy anyway, i met some amazing people, bar workers and owners mainly Happy we are still friends now, so if you decide to go on your own or with a another skibum? im sure you will enjoy.

i have been skiing for about 5-6 years, started bnoarding 11/12 season and now i have almost been fully converted to the dark side, but i will never get rid of my skis, nothing better than a nicely groomed motorway first thing in the morning or catching a bit of powder between runs.
snow conditions
I did my first season with one friend in a shared place. It was great and meant we had a good group of friends already... but it did mean we were a bit segregated as a group as everyone was there bumming it...

Talk to Marcellus about the properties he runs, not only shared but if you decide to get somewhere on your own he'll be able to help with that too. Being in a shared property you will quickly make friends with people, and if they work friends through them.

I've worked for TOs as transfer reps, so just doing the airport runs on a Saturday. I actually really enjoy it and you get paid pretty well too!
latest report
snowsure1977, cheers for the reply, I've sent you a pm Very Happy
snow report
Brilliant plan.......Bravo!
I'm gonna do the Bum thing for sure when I'm ready, too old to work IMO, am antisocial & doubt that I'd get bored of my addiction Toofy Grin probly 3V's cos it's massive n I love it

But I'm thinking.... If you are considering working...Don't a lot of jobs offer accommodation & a local Season Lift Pass as part of the salary package?
If so, it would equate to a huge £££ Saving, as well as mates rolling eyes No?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franzClammer wrote:
Brilliant plan.......Bravo!
I'm gonna do the Bum thing for sure when I'm ready, too old to work IMO, am antisocial & doubt that I'd get bored of my addiction Toofy Grin probly 3V's cos it's massive n I love it

But I'm thinking.... If you are considering working...Don't a lot of jobs offer accommodation & a local Season Lift Pass as part of the salary package?
If so, it would equate to a huge £££ Saving, as well as mates rolling eyes No?

Yeah, most jobs out in the mountains have a decent benefits package that supplements the poor wage wink I've been applying for a few transfer rep jobs, which seem like the best bet to me. You seem to have a bit more time to yourself and just help out at the busiest parts of the week, like transfer day.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
kat.ryb, it was Bertie Bassett

and this is the thread

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46330&start=253
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy