Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes, April 27th - 4th May

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I'm looking at booking a week in Tignes from 27th April to 4th May for a last chance get away (not the most advanced skiers, one beginner and one 'intermediate', and our first Alps trip). I've been looking online and most historic posts say that Tignes is ok during this week, but after checking the 6 day weather report it looks like things are getting to +1/2 degrees on the top pistes (and around 6/7 in the resort).

What do people here recommend?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's surprising if air temp doesn't get above zero in late spring but snow doesn't instantly evaporate at this temperature. It'll be fine but you need to be prepared for snow to get "heavy" and "slow" in the pm which lots of people hate but can actually be lovely.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks for your reply. Does the 'heavy' and 'slow' apply to all the slopes or just the lower ones (i.e. if we get progressively higher in altitude during the day can we avoid this)?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Usually but also depends on where the suns been.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tester, the best way of using such a late season week might be to have morning lessons (there are some excellent ski schools in Tignes) and probably aim to finish skiing about 2 pm and sit on a sunny balcony. An instructor will know how best to avoid the most icy pistes first thing and the slushy ones later. As fatbob notes, slope aspect can be more important than altitude. The high pistes in the full blast of the sun will get slushy too. Even though there's a huge depth of snow, you only ski on the top couple of inches.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tester: Just be prepared for every type of snow - winter cover and conditions on north-facing slopes at altitude; powder if you are lucky (and we have been on about 4 out of 6 late April/early May visits to Tignes); soft snow in the sun on a morning; total mush/slush later in the day - particularly at low altitudes.

The glacier will have winter cover and has some really gentle slopes, suitable for beginners/early skiers - so if needs be, that could suffice if conditions were to get really slushy/challenging elsewhere.

There will still be well over (at least) half of Espace Killy open in late April - Go for it, you'll have whale of a time and could well be converted to end of season skiing forever Very Happy !
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great, thanks all for your advice!

One last thing... this thread talks about high avalanche risk: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91825&start=920

Is that a risk for off-piste skiing? We don't do off-piste but don't want to have to worry about that kind of thing on-piste (I guess they would close it if there was too great a risk?)!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tester, Yes - if you stay on piste you will be safe (with a 99.9999999% certainty). The piste services will close a piste if there is a risk of avalanche onto it. Piste L and Santons have been closing at lunchtime for a month in VDI. They are now closed and will remain so (I suspect) until the whole of the slopes above have avalanched onto it.

On the other hand there are parts of the village where I stick to the roads with the amount of now slipping off the roofs!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy