Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere again or somewhere else? Help please!

Poster: A snowHead
We are a family with 3 children(11,8,6). We are looking to book for fEb half term next year.

This year we've been to La Rosiere and Saas Fee.

We loved the skiing at La Ros (greens/blues into the village) and the atmosphere but were less keen on the ski school and the wind shutting off the lifts for 2 days!

Sass Fee was beautiful, very friendly (more so than la Ros), more characterful with a great ski school but the skiing was trickier to access and involved skiing (fairly tricky) reds to get back down to the village.

We preferred the set up of a hotel where we could eat with the children, now they're a bit older(!) but like a smaller chalet type hotel where it's a bit more personal (Hotel Elite Saas Fee was fantastic!)

My husband is keen to go back to La Ros but use a different ski school from ESF. I'd like a change and also there doesn't appear to be any hotels with pools in la Ros (our kids love swimming). We also need somewhere with lots of blues and easy reds to build up my confidence (I'm a bit nervous after a bad experience on an icey red in Sass fee!). My husband is pretty good and is happy to have lessons in teh morning and ski with us as a family in the pm (older 2 kids are good and younger is learning parallel)

So far I've looked at Samoens (is it a pain to have to get the lift up and down every day?), Les Gets (enough intermediate skiing easily accessible?), Ellmau, Lech (maybe too pricey? How does it compare to Saas Fee) and Vaujany.

We are constrained flightwise in Austria to Salzburg and Munich (yes I know it's Germany!! ;-0)). Prefer to do it independently without a TO. France we can fly to GRenoble or Geneva. Italy is tricky so probably out for us.

Phew! Thanks everyone and please feel free to ask about holidays in La row?Sass Fee with kids ski schools/accommodation etc...

Rosie
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We spent the Feb half term at the Terrasses d'EOS in Flaine. Its a Pierra Vacance (sp?) property, but we found a private rental through a website. Pool, hot tub, sauna. Kids loved it.

The skiing in Flaine, and the whole of the Grand Massif, was really good. The only place we had problems with queues was lift called Chariande 2 in Samoen (I think that's where it was). Access from Geneva is pretty easy (though we drove from UK). The only problem is that Flaine itself isn't much of a place.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Rosie

If you did want to go back to La Rosiere, chalet le Refuge, at Les Eucherts has a pool, small with a current you can switch on to swim against, we enjoyed it. My kids are all grown up now but we saw plenty of younger children having fun `though even Xmas week we generally had the pool to ourselves.

Resort wise I loved Les Saisies when the kids were small, the skiing there felt very safe with lots of very wide pistes, I expect someone will be along soon with some real insight into Les Saisies.

The lift up to Samoens is not bad, there is a big car park right at the bottom and my kids enjoyed the skiing in the area, its easy enough to ski over to Flaine for the day.

Les Gets is a bit low but probably OK Feb and its easy to get over to Morzine, and up higher.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RosieL, Welcome to SnowHeads. Ski school at half term is often a lottery. We have used ESF at La Rosiere on numerous occasions and they were great but I think Evolution 2 has the edge, just. Evo 2 may well be able to give you an English speaking group some time during the day.

I can highly recommend Ski Olympic and their chalets in La Rosiere http://www.skiolympic.co.uk/ski-snowboard-holidays-la-rosiere-chalet-grand_planica and it's smaller brother both have pool access. I know you don't want to use a TO, but these lot are great. In my opinion La Rosiere has one drawback - The wind. In our numerous holiday this was only a problem once, but when it blows, it bloody well blows.

When skiing with kids at half term my 1st requirement is a quiet resort; much safer and more pleasant.

Salzburg is a great option for DIY as many resorts are nearby. I have no experience of ski schools though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RosieL, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Les Saisies would be fine ski-wise, but it's very French and group ski lessons are likely to involve a lot of French, as most customers are Francophone, though the instructors do speak some English.

There's only one proper hotel - very nice, has a pool, but fairly pricey. Le Calgary.

Also, given your requirements, LS is crowded at half term because it attracts a lot of French families, being a perfect family resort.

Les Gets would suit you well but is also extremely crowded at half term. I wouldn't ski there in peak weeks though I've enjoyed low season holidays there.

So, if you are after a "quiet" resort you probably need to keep looking - there might be some good prospects in Austria (though there are plenty of reports of crowds and lift queues there too, you need a lot of very honest local opinion.....) and some of the lesser-known French resorts might also suit you well.

For example, have a look at http://www.chalet-la-giettaz.com/

Run by a snowhead - gets very positive reviews. A much quieter ski area.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
LittleRob wrote:
We spent the Feb half term at the Terrasses d'EOS in Flaine. Its a Pierra Vacance (sp?) property, but we found a private rental through a website. Pool, hot tub, sauna. Kids loved it.

The skiing in Flaine, and the whole of the Grand Massif, was really good. The only place we had problems with queues was lift called Chariande 2 in Samoen (I think that's where it was). Access from Geneva is pretty easy (though we drove from UK). The only problem is that Flaine itself isn't much of a place.

Thanks! The ski area looks perfect for us just a bit worried about access. I got a great price from a nice hotel in samoens too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CaravanSkier wrote:
Hi Rosie

If you did want to go back to La Rosiere, chalet le Refuge, at Les Eucherts has a pool, small with a current you can switch on to swim against, we enjoyed it. My kids are all grown up now but we saw plenty of younger children having fun `though even Xmas week we generally had the pool to ourselves.

Resort wise I loved Les Saisies when the kids were small, the skiing there felt very safe with lots of very wide pistes, I expect someone will be along soon with some real insight into Les Saisies.

The lift up to Samoens is not bad, there is a big car park right at the bottom and my kids enjoyed the skiing in the area, its easy enough to ski over to Flaine for the day.

Les Gets is a bit low but probably OK Feb and its easy to get over to Morzine, and up higher.

I'll look into that chalet, thanks.

I've not heard of LesnSaises so I'll have a look at that too.

Samoens looks so pretty. I'm a sucker for a pretty town but the practicalities need to come first!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
RosieL, Welcome to SnowHeads. Ski school at half term is often a lottery. We have used ESF at La Rosiere on numerous occasions and they were great but I think Evolution 2 has the edge, just. Evo 2 may well be able to give you an English speaking group some time during the day.

I can highly recommend Ski Olympic and their chalets in La Rosiere http://www.skiolympic.co.uk/ski-snowboard-holidays-la-rosiere-chalet-grand_planica and it's smaller brother both have pool access. I know you don't want to use a TO, but these lot are great. In my opinion La Rosiere has one drawback - The wind. In our numerous holiday this was only a problem once, but when it blows, it bloody well blows.

When skiing with kids at half term my 1st requirement is a quiet resort; much safer and more pleasant.

Salzburg is a great option for DIY as many resorts are nearby. I have no experience of ski schools though.

That's the chalet we went to in February! I quite agree its a great chalet - pool, access is perfect. The company was great too. It's booked for half term next year unfortunately. Although it would have costed us over £5k for accommodation only Shocked Luckily for us we had a different half term from the English one this year!

Thanks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
RosieL, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Les Saisies would be fine ski-wise, but it's very French and group ski lessons are likely to involve a lot of French, as most customers are Francophone, though the instructors do speak some English.

There's only one proper hotel - very nice, has a pool, but fairly pricey. Le Calgary.

Also, given your requirements, LS is crowded at half term because it attracts a lot of French families, being a perfect family resort.

Les Gets would suit you well but is also extremely crowded at half term. I wouldn't ski there in peak weeks though I've enjoyed low season holidays there.

So, if you are after a "quiet" resort you probably need to keep looking - there might be some good prospects in Austria (though there are plenty of reports of crowds and lift queues there too, you need a lot of very honest local opinion.....) and some of the lesser-known French resorts might also suit you well.

For example, have a look at http://www.chalet-la-giettaz.com/

Run by a snowhead - gets very positive reviews. A much quieter ski area.

Thanks Pam, very helpful. I'll have a look at Les Saises. I love the very French resorts but it doesn't work so well with ski school Madeye-Smiley

I don't know much about Austria, I'll do a bit more googling!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CaravanSkier wrote:
Hi Rosie

Nah! 1200m at village...not low for February. But, yes it could well be very busy. We've done countless weeks there over Christmas, NY, March and April but would avoid February hols (though I don't think it was too bad this year from what I heard).
Access up to Avoriaz is ok by road, but time consuming and not worth it (IME) by skis/petit train across Morzine town. Les Gets/Morzine is a great area and it's possible to ski 'down' to Morzine wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marmotte16 I have skied over grass and mud at Les Gets in Feb. so whilst its normally ok at that time it is not always!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CaravanSkier yes but you could say that about any ski resort Very Happy

There was enough green on a piste we were on to have to 'share' it with golfers in Arc 1800 one early April. Though I wouldn't base recommendations on that experience as it was very unusual.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RosieL, of your criteria, by far the most difficult, at half term, will be to find somewhere quiet. Les Saisies, Les Gets, Samoens, all present problems. If it's one of those years when lower areas don't all have good cover then the higher areas of the Grand Massif, such as the Flaine bowl, can be horribly crowded. The lift system is very good - gets people up the hill fast, and dumps them on the piste. My daughter and son in law, both good and very experienced skiers, had a holiday there at half term a few years ago (both teachers) and with a lot of skiers all confined to the higher areas and fast, hardpack snow, they both found themselves very apprehensive about the crowds (even though they were in ski lessons half the day, and had lift priority).

I entirely sympathise with your need for quiet pistes, which is why I don't think Les Saisies is ideal for you. Somewhere in Italy, or austria (carefully chosen) might be better, or one of the much quieter French areas, such as the La Giettaz suggestion above.

It might be worth thinking about Christmas - quieter and cheaper. Easter is a bit late next year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Courmayeur could be a good option. You can fly to Geneva and it suits beginners to intermediates.

In France I would have a look at Les Contamines as well - it is less well-known and it is a really pretty resort. Once again you can fly to Geneva.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think this ticks all the boxes

http://www.falkensteiner.com/en/hotel/cristallo/arrival
latest report
RosieL wrote:
LittleRob wrote:

Thanks! The ski area looks perfect for us just a bit worried about access. I got a great price from a nice hotel in samoens too.

Do you mean whether it is ski-in/ski-out, or getting to the apartment from the peage?

Both were pretty easy. Its only a few miles from the motorway, though we did need to use chains for the last bit (we got up hill OK, but the downhill from the Col was a problem).

Regarding the slope access. You walk out from the locker room and ski down to a very short chair "Gerats" this takes you high enough that you can then ski to the main resort area. On the return you need to take the "Grand Vans" and ski the blue "Tourmaline" back to the "Gerats" lift, and this time at the top you turn left and head to the back door again.

Hope this helps.

LR
ski holidays
LittleRob wrote:
RosieL wrote:
LittleRob wrote:

Do you mean whether it is ski-in/ski-out, or getting to the apartment from the peage?

Both were pretty easy. Its only a few miles from the motorway, though we did need to use chains for the last bit (we got up hill OK, but the downhill from the Col was a problem).

Regarding the slope access. You walk out from the locker room and ski down to a very short chair "Gerats" this takes you high enough that you can then ski to the main resort area. On the return you need to take the "Grand Vans" and ski the blue "Tourmaline" back to the "Gerats" lift, and this time at the top you turn left and head to the back door again.

Hope this helps.

LR

Thanks Rob. It sounds very accessible. I was meaning more the access from samoens. I've found a lovely apartment in samoens at a good price. Also one in Les Eucherts. The swimming pool issue is quite limiting! We've not done self- catering before as our kids eat a lot!!! Smile
ski holidays
In the past I found raclettes were a wonderful way to fill up hungry children, and last year our apartment had wonderful raclette machines which did the job of filling up my very hungry but now in their 20`s children! We just wash and boil a couple of large bags of potatoes which my lot just love eating with the melted cheese. A different sort of meat on the top of the machine every night, and a large bag of salad (with dressing) made a very simple meal.

However, if you drive to La Rosiere stock up in the big supermarket in Bourg where there is much more choice and its a little cheaper.
ski holidays
RosieL, we self catered in Les Eucherts (Cimes Blanches) a few years back. Nice pool Very Happy Ski in/ski out too. Quiet area with one or two restaurants/boulangerie/bowling and the option of a pleasant walk through trees to main village. ESF Les Eucherts has a good reputation.
ski holidays
RosieL, Evolution 2 have a base in La Rosiere and come well recommended.
latest report
RosieL, FWIW, we have a family conference every year about whether to go somewhere new or stick with what we know. Next year will see us for the 8th year running in Vallandry Laughing

My personal opinion if a family trip is stick with what you know - we return to Vallandry as I know where I can take the kids safely (although this is increasingly, they know where they can take me), know best restaurants for cheap(ish) family meals, etc etc

Appreciate some people like change, but me I like things I know
latest report
RosieL,

Consider the hotel I mentioned above in Katschberg. It is 100 km from Salzburg, at the bottom of the ski slopes, apartments or maisonettes with a full board option, and the THE BEST facilities for kids, so great that they could be secretly wanting a bad weather to play inside.

http://www.falkensteiner.com/en/hotel/cristallo/hits-for-kids.

In our unique Falky's Children's SPA with sauna, steambath and waterslide, we offer children an enjoyable way in to the pleasures of wellness. From the shared experience of bathing with parents to the first "beauty treatment" for young ladies.

Facilities for children:

Falky-Land with soft indoor play facilities, games and crafts area, play corner with billiards, various computer games
Children's outdoor playground with various attractions
Falky's children's SPA with family pool (60 sq.m) with waterslide, baby pool, children's sauna and children's steambath, fun showers
Baby facilities: free loan of baby bath-tubs, baby phones, back-carriers, changing mats, nappy buckets, bottle warmers, thermometers, children's potties, bibs, high-chairs, seat cushion, buggies
Child supervision and special children's entertainment, from 3 to 16 years of age (Sunday to Friday: 10.00 a.m. - 20.30 p.m.; Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 18:00 p.m.)

It's a winner in my book. I've never been, because I've always done self catering, but several families I know absolutely swear by it!
ski holidays
RosieL, I'd go to Saas Fee over la Rosiere anytime (budget permitting) and almost anywhere else over la Rosiere anything being equal. Why ? la Rosiere is rubbish. Rubbish snow (South facing, windy / icy), rubbish slopes, rubbish value, really really rubbish mountain restaurants. Great for ski in ski out on boring pistes though.

Ideal if you don't really like skiing but want to go anyway.
latest report
LittleRob wrote:

Caution here is to get back you have to take the Tourmaline run back from top of Grands Vans. This is blue but is always horribly crowded as it main link between Flaine and GM, and has one pretty steep area, and OP don't want tricky runs to get back to base. I always found that run a chore and unpleasant with kids
snow conditions
Like Les Gets but not very high. Look at Montgenevre.
ski holidays
Hi Rosie, have you considered somewhere like Montgenevre in the southern alps? Lovely little resort, about 100km of runs, mostly blues and easy reds, great ski school (A-Peak), and only an hour or so transfer from Turin. Even during peak weeks it is significantly less busy than the larger resorts.

Oops, just seen Dr George's post!!
ski holidays
Great minds!!! Another vote for Seb at apeak if you want lessons.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
RosieL, of your criteria, by far the most difficult, at half term, will be to find somewhere quiet. Les Saisies, Les Gets, Samoens, all present problems. If it's one of those years when lower areas don't all have good cover then the higher areas of the Grand Massif, such as the Flaine bowl, can be horribly crowded. The lift system is very good - gets people up the hill fast, and dumps them on the piste. My daughter and son in law, both good and very experienced skiers, had a holiday there at half term a few years ago (both teachers) and with a lot of skiers all confined to the higher areas and fast, hardpack snow, they both found themselves very apprehensive about the crowds (even though they were in ski lessons half the day, and had lift priority).

I entirely sympathise with your need for quiet pistes, which is why I don't think Les Saisies is ideal for you. Somewhere in Italy, or austria (carefully chosen) might be better, or one of the much quieter French areas, such as the La Giettaz suggestion above.

It might be worth thinking about Christmas - quieter and cheaper. Easter is a bit late next year.

Thanks Pam, we may try and squeeze another trip in at new year if inaccessible allow!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CaravanSkier wrote:
In the past I found raclettes were a wonderful way to fill up hungry children, and last year our apartment had wonderful raclette machines which did the job of filling up my very hungry but now in their 20`s children! We just wash and boil a couple of large bags of potatoes which my lot just love eating with the melted cheese. A different sort of meat on the top of the machine every night, and a large bag of salad (with dressing) made a very simple meal.

However, if you drive to La Rosiere stock up in the big supermarket in Bourg where there is much more choice and its a little cheaper.

Thanks - great tip! We've got 3 boys and they never stop eating!
latest report
marmotte16 wrote:
RosieL, we self catered in Les Eucherts (Cimes Blanches) a few years back. Nice pool Very Happy Ski in/ski out too. Quiet area with one or two restaurants/boulangerie/bowling and the option of a pleasant walk through trees to main village. ESF Les Eucherts has a good reputation.

Thanks, I looked there but was out off by the lack of shops/catering options if we self catered. I don't want to cook every night. I do love the walk though the woods to La Rosiere though

I've been put off ESF now with my eldest ending up in a French class last time. A lot less TLC than the Swiss ski school we used....
ski holidays
tyke2 wrote:

Yes, thanks. I think they look good but the only places in la ros with a pool are in les Eucharts, do e2 have a base there?
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
RosieL, FWIW, we have a family conference every year about whether to go somewhere new or stick with what we know. Next year will see us for the 8th year running in Vallandry Laughing

My personal opinion if a family trip is stick with what you know - we return to Vallandry as I know where I can take the kids safely (although this is increasingly, they know where they can take me), know best restaurants for cheap(ish) family meals, etc etc

Appreciate some people like change, but me I like things I know

I know what you mean! I'm torn between a change and what I know. The place we stayed in La Rosiere this year is booked up of next year and we really want a pool for the children- a highlight for them! Laughing
latest report
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
RosieL,

Consider the hotel I mentioned above in Katschberg. It is 100 km from Salzburg, at the bottom of the ski slopes, apartments or maisonettes with a full board option, and the THE BEST facilities for kids, so great that they could be secretly wanting a bad weather to play inside.

http://www.falkensteiner.com/en/hotel/cristallo/hits-for-kids.

In our unique Falky's Children's SPA with sauna, steambath and waterslide, we offer children an enjoyable way in to the pleasures of wellness. From the shared experience of bathing with parents to the first "beauty treatment" for young ladies.

Facilities for children:

Falky-Land with soft indoor play facilities, games and crafts area, play corner with billiards, various computer games
Children's outdoor playground with various attractions
Falky's children's SPA with family pool (60 sq.m) with waterslide, baby pool, children's sauna and children's steambath, fun showers
Baby facilities: free loan of baby bath-tubs, baby phones, back-carriers, changing mats, nappy buckets, bottle warmers, thermometers, children's potties, bibs, high-chairs, seat cushion, buggies
Child supervision and special children's entertainment, from 3 to 16 years of age (Sunday to Friday: 10.00 a.m. - 20.30 p.m.; Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 18:00 p.m.)

It's a winner in my book. I've never been, because I've always done self catering, but several families I know absolutely swear by it!

Thanks - it looks amazing. I'll check out the prices....
snow report
ed123 wrote:
RosieL, I'd go to Saas Fee over la Rosiere anytime (budget permitting) and almost anywhere else over la Rosiere anything being equal. Why ? la Rosiere is rubbish. Rubbish snow (South facing, windy / icy), rubbish slopes, rubbish value, really really rubbish mountain restaurants. Great for ski in ski out on boring pistes though.

Ideal if you don't really like skiing but want to go anyway.

Laughing anywhere else in particular?!
snow report
Dr George wrote:
Like Les Gets but not very high. Look at Montgenevre.

Thanks. I've looked and it looks lovely!
snow conditions
jellemr wrote:
Hi Rosie, have you considered somewhere like Montgenevre in the southern alps? Lovely little resort, about 100km of runs, mostly blues and easy reds, great ski school (A-Peak), and only an hour or so transfer from Turin. Even during peak weeks it is significantly less busy than the larger resorts.

Oops, just seen Dr George's post!!

Thanks. It does look perfect! Would it be good at New Year?
ski holidays
I thought the Katschberg hotel was good value for money...

My friends swear by it.
ski holidays
My children are similar ages to two of yours. I would also recommend Montgenevre but can't comment on how it would be at New Year or half term as we have been there later in the season. It is a great family resort and has plenty of cruisy runs. I suspect your husband would like Apeak ski school who are very good. The ESF is also very good in Montgenevre. We have used both.

If you like swimming I wouldn't rule out self catering. We are a family of keen skiers and swimmers (daughter does swimming club) and the pools at the CGH MGM luxury self catering residences are the best we've come across. As they work out cheaper than staying in a hotel you would not have to self cater all the time and could treat yourselves to the odd meal out We have always booked these residences through Peak Retreats who I'd highly recommend. Cimes Blanches in La Rosiere is pretty much ski to and from the door and in the Eucharts area which we really liked. There is also one of these residences in Montgenevre (chalet des dolines) although we stayed elsewhere there.

If you are thinking of le grand massif (Samoens) I would suggest looking at Les Carroz - also linked to Samoens, Morillon and Flaine. We have have recently stayed at the CGH residence there, Les Chalets de Jouvence which has a lovely pool is literally ski to and from the back door and you don't even have to walk down steps to get to the bootroom. We only skied as far as Samoens 1600 (not right to the village) but we found Les Carroz a better base for skiing as if the snow is good (as it was) there are some lovely cruisy wooded runs right on your doorstep in Les Carroz and there are some cruisy runs in Morillon too. We skiied over to Flaine and enjoyed that but would suggest getting your confidence back on the local area for a few days before venturing over there.
latest report
We've been to Montgenevre/claviere 3 times over Christmas and new year and have had good snow every time although theses things are always unpredictable! It's not a party resort although there are plenty of small bars along the front, it is family friendly and we've always felt very welcome there.
ski holidays
RosieL wrote:
tyke2 wrote:

Yes, thanks. I think they look good but the only places in la ros with a pool are in les Eucharts, do e2 have a base there?

I don't know if Evo2 have a separate base in Les Eucharts, as you know Las Rosiere and Les Eucharts are essentially connected, and it sonly a few minutes from the centre to centre.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy