Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Night skiing

Poster: A snowHead
I've only been night skiing in Sweden before and tried it for the first time in the Alps while I was in Obergurgl. The skiing was great and the lights were OK but not as good as I'm used to from Sweden.

Here is our first run and the sun has just gone down so it is not completely dark but you should be able to see how the lights were from the middle of the run onwards.

http://youtube.com/v/DCD3pFr3w2w

Here is what I'm used to, pictures are from Åre in Sweden

Where have you been night skiing? How was the lightning?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I remember in Norway some XC ski trails were lit which was pretty cool.

The only problem with night skiing I have found is that the slopes can be absolutely bulletproof which doesn't always make for the most pleasurable skiing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's daylight in Åre isn't it?

Soll is v good.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I absolutely LOVED night skiing in Saalbach. It's a decent long red run, and the lighting is fantastic, as clear as day. It was such an experience, I'd definitely do it again.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thing is in Norway and Sweden without floodlights it would be very limiting. When I went to Geilo in early January a few years ago daylight opening hours were something like 10 - 3.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller: Those pictures are actually taken at about 4AM, me and my wife were there on a ski test weekend and they were running the lifts for straight 56 hours so you could go and ski whenever you wanted Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Night skiing is pretty standard at most ski hills in Japan. The Grand Hirafu night session is (probably) the best in the world, with the lighting extending over a huge area of the mountain and lighting off piste areas too. Other areas can also be good. The lighting depends on the size/affluence of the ski hill. After the 2011 earthquake, some of the night operations stopped or were restricted to save electricity.

This is my town's hill

Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 19.47.49

In South Korea, most of the ski hills run 24 hours a day.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Les Arcs does night skiing twice a week but only one lift is open so I've never bothered; after a day's skiing I'm only fit for a bath and a bottle. But the above look fab!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MagSeven wrote:
Night skiing is pretty standard at most ski hills in Japan. The Grand Hirafu night session is (probably) the best in the world, with the lighting extending over a huge area of the mountain and lighting off piste areas too.
Agreed, it's a fun experience. Skiing off piste at night time with thigh deep powder and fresh snow hammering down was the highlight of my first trip to Niseko Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Night skiing in Jasna was excellent for an empty piste on which to learn boarding. Lighting is good, but the run is too gentle for much else other than the experience. Costs extra as not included in the general lift pass price.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Big White in Canada has decent night skiing, but limited to one of the quad chairs out of the village and a couple of runs. It's a great experience when the conditions are right. I had one memorable evening this season during a heavy snowstorm.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Like Claude B, I've been night-skiing in Geilo. When I was there a few years back they only opened at night once or twice a week, and only two runs were open - but they were well-lit.

Conditions were pretty good as I recall and we pretty much had the hill to ourselves.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Semmering (approx 60 mins drive from here)

Quote:
Since the 2006/2007 winter season, all our guest receive 13 kilometers of skiing slopes. Europe's largest night skiing area.

http://www.zauberberg.at/en/zauberberg/winter/night-skiing/

http://youtube.com/v/GvItHD3Aab8
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Silver star in BC has a 2 person lift for night skiing this gives access to a steepish blue that runs into a black bumps run if you ski off to the right on the way down. It only cost $10 we have done it a couple of times but happy to give it a miss and just go bowling, skating or tubeing. Actually we usually just settle for hot tub and a few beers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Night skiing in Japan seems nice Smile
ski holidays
keystone in colorado - excellent night skiing. bit spooky sking down a piste all on your own under floddlights though. clever idea with flashing beacons on emergency phones on the pistes though
snow report
Quite a bit of night skiing on the N. shore mountains here too.

A bit limited, but nice to head back from work and be able to make some turns. On a clear day the views of the city, vancouver island, howe sound, etc are great.
Conditions vary a lot here from being in a cloud, being in the rain, to a 60cm powder evening
snow report
Night skiing just outside Reykjavik:

Normally ski two evenings a week for 3-4 hours here to get the miles in.
ski holidays
Looks really nice, never thought about skiing in Reykjavik...
snow report
It's a tiny ski area. Wink
snow conditions
I'd like to have a go, but it rather interferes with eating, drinking and all the other fun bits of a skiing holiday. Can't really imagine putting my skis on again after dinner (and a long day's skiing).
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I'd like to have a go, but it rather interferes with eating, drinking and all the other fun bits of a skiing holiday. Can't really imagine putting my skis on again after dinner (and a long day's skiing).
That's why I never tried night skiing in the Alps before wink

This time we skied from 8:40 to 14:00 sat in the sun until 18:00 then had a dinner and started skiing again at 19:00 Toofy Grin No problem to ski again after dinner... didn't drink more than two beer though wink
snow report
After 7 + hours with skis on, skiing off piste plus perhaps walking up something, I'd be too tired to go out again in the evening. Well, perhaps once as a novelty.
latest report
I've always fancied doing this at L2A but not quite managed it. No full moon when I was there this year and last year the weather wasn't suitable.

http://winter.les2alpes.com/full-moon-evening.html

Quote:
From 4.30 pm : start of Jandri Express.
Night skiing on the glacier at 3200m till sunset then downhill in the moonlight from the summits to the ski station, return near 11.30 pm. The evening is completed by mountain dinner with music. Skiers and non skiers are welcome, so all the family can enjoy a full moon evening on the 2 Alpes glacier
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
After 7 + hours with skis on, skiing off piste plus perhaps walking up something, I'd be too tired to go out again in the evening. Well, perhaps once as a novelty.

My recent experience in Japan, we didn't go out until later in the day as the forecast was for fresh snow to arrive mid afternoon, so leisurely morning, bit of lunch then out skiing. Quite an amazing experience skiing off piste trees in floodlights!

http://youtube.com/v/vDABzsl8tgc&hd=1
snow conditions
Silver Star and Big White. Also anywhere in Finland, although there it's pretty dark anyway. It's like riding at a dry ski slope at night, only there's snow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy