Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid life crisis! Need lesson in the park!! Opinions??

Poster: A snowHead
Competent recreational skier heading for first proper birthday seeks fountain of youth.

Alternatively, said person quite fancies extending technique into the park - particularly pipe, rails and air.

Will be in Champoluc 23.12.05-7.1.06 and Morzine 28.1.06-5.2.06.

Any opinions out there on what to look for/recommended instructors/alternative recommendations for early mid life crisis? (I already have sportscar, younger girlfriend, etc.)

I also have helmet (albeit a DH one), am reasonably fit and flexible and do not want grungy ski pants. WIll be investing in a fine orange pair a la 1989 (see here).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Murdoch,

You've been watching too much skier cross in the LDA park.
But I agree some of those guys did look quite good but its not skiing is it...?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch, don't do it! Shocked Bumps are one thing, park is another. I know - you've been enthused by Luca who started in his mid-30s in the park. Yes - well - he's almost a world class skier before that, and a pro, and a boarder. Still I'm actually quite surprised he's still doing now he's a daddy!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

There must be easier ways to resolve a mid(?) life crisis. rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm still firmly in the baby park - doing little tiny jumps Embarassed

My advice as a fellow mid life skiier is to start small, keep those arms forwards on take off and be confident... oh... and watch loads of DVD's of the top people playing - gives me an excuse to admire Sarah Burke doing half pipe jumps on my Helly Hanson freebie anyhow Blush
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can now manage to get 6 inches off the ground and still land upright Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scarpa, This is about 6 inches, honest Laughing
http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/1355/cat/541
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch, do something safer instead - like skydiving!

(PS - you get opportunities to wear all sorts of wonderfully garish one-pieces that way too)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch, this is what a lesson in the park does for you when you're 17, this is what happens otherwise. Click on the link down the page to read about the injury.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Are you all suggesting I'm too old already? Nooooo!

My ambitions are modest:

* rail sliding (on someone else's skis) - I think my balance is good enough and it should be good for maintaining dynamic balance ability into adulthood
* pipe - just being able to pull the odd tip grab or rotation into switch landing will be fine
* OK, forget big air, I don't like heights
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch, apparently the rails are well waxed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch, helmet & back protector a must I reckon.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch,

If you're going to spend any time in the park you have to accept the fact that you WILL fall and you WILL injure yourself at some stage! One very very experienced skier I know is a whiz in the park, but counts a broken back (backflip) and dislocated shoulder (half pipe) amongst his injuries...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1, nasty. I have broken my back already (bumps race, entirely stupid and a major, major lucky escape). I would prefer not to repeat the experience.

Maybe I keep the "air" to a minimum.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ha ha ha Laughing Laughing Laughing old bloke in the park, good one!

If however you are serious, get a bigger sportscar and a younger girlfriend.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch - I'm the same age as you hehehe.

Nadenoodlee - I did sell my CBR but have just dated a 19 yr old Embarassed

Then again - I've never grown up enough to need a mid life crisis Cool
ski holidays
David Murdoch, I've just been watching video of Luca failing to ride the up and down rails (don't know what they're officially called). He fell off it every time. then he did the big wall thingy and had a major crash off that! He's 36 apparently. He's doing good stuff in the pipe though, including an allyoop (don't know how to spell it), which impressed one of the locals who was also visiting. Cool Cool
snow report
can you get "freestyle" lessons in resorts, i know you can get something at MK/Tamworth Puzzled

having not ever been with anyone in my group who can do any sort of tricks it's a bit of trial and error just trying simple stuff on piste with everyone else...........never plucked up the courage to go into the park as everyone else in there seems to be able to already do it..............but i'd quite like to have some show me how to do it properly in a "slightly controlled" way Embarassed Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
If however you are serious, get a bigger sportscar and a younger girlfriend.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
do you folks have dry-pipes?
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, Laughing Laughing Laughing

David Murdoch, I'm not as good as you in the bumps, and I'm early thirties, and I've started going to the park the last couple of seasons as well. I say go for it.

If you die, can I have your sportscar and younger girlfriend please?
snow conditions
David Murdoch, half measures all the above.

Pardon the Americanism, but DUDE!
ski holidays
Rusty Guy, Dry as in no alcohol? Never!!! NehNeh
snow conditions
spyderjon, for sure!

Nadenoodlee, you offering? Pix PM'ed first please! ("old bloke in the park" indeed!!! NehNeh )

Kramer, You'd need to ask Nadenoodlee Twisted Evil
ski holidays
David Murdoch, I've often been tempted, though knowing I have to drive the kids back home has stopped me so far. Let's face it, park is for kids, however good you might get, you'll look as ridiculous as when you're riding a swing.
If you want some more excitement, find yourself a nice couloir, or some cliffs to jump off. snowHead
ski holidays
Rusty Guy, yes we do. A lot of the dry slopes have geared up for the younger end of the market by redesigning the slopes. My local slope now has a 1/4 pipe, tabletops, kickers and the like. Seems to have a very healthy boarder section as a result.
latest report
David Murdoch,

You are indeed in need of therapy, I have a few cunning plans and cures to rid you of this silly crisis.
snow report
And your sports car obviously isn't fast enough...!!!
snow report
MartinH, I do couloirs and cliffs all the time.

JT, I'm looking forward to it. 2nd point: 174mph not fast enough??? Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch,

Thats quite fast enough, thank you..!!!

And I'll get back to you about the 'plans'
snow report
Quote:
can you get "freestyle" lessons in resorts, i know you can get something at MK/Tamworth

Dan and David Murdoch, yes lessons are available in some resorts. Last year in La Rosiere my mate and I had a two hour lesson with a Freestyle skier - can't recall his name, maybe david@trax will know (young guy, competed internationally, famed for jumping off a building in town) ....

Anyway, the lesson was truly excellent. Only problem was that due to conditions the park wasn't in very good condition but he still showed us a few freestlye tricks such as bunny hops, reverse carving, and how to successfully complete 180's and with a bit more practice later on in the year 360's (just off medium sized bumps) - also gave us some very useful tips for jumping off higher things. The little time we did have on the park introduced us to the rails but as I say the conditions meant we didn't try anything too ambitious. Have now invested in a helmet and will probably have more lessons this season.

By the way, male, married, 2 kids, bought a sportscar this year (now locked away for the winter) ... wife won't agree to younger girlfirend!

Seems to be a pattern emerging here.

David Murdoch, go for it!
snow report
masmith wrote:
Last year in La Rosiere my mate and I had a two hour lesson with a Freestyle skier - can't recall his name...

Was it Maxim from Evo?
snow conditions
David Murdoch, a boxster?
ski holidays
spyderjon, no it was an ESF guy.
snow report
masmith, cool!

Kramer, 1990 964 Carrera 4 Targa. Bought with my divorce settlement!
ski holidays
David Murdoch, Proper car - none of this overcontrol nonsense then. Laughing

PSBers can confirm that freestyle lessons are available. there may be aome resorts without the right teachers though.
ski holidays
easiski, I haven't had to test th e4 wheel drive in snow yet, but that will happen at some point! he he he
ski holidays
masmith, I forgot to say that he used to be with ESF up until last season.
snow report
spyderjon, don't recognise the name Maxim, but am sure I'd spot it if you try a few more ....
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
I do couloirs and cliffs all the time.

I was going to sugest you try the "Poubelle" , but I guess that's old hat for you then Shocked

So,

it is then
snow conditions
GrahamN,

Fab smilies. Do you design them yourself or is there some special repository somewhere on the web??
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy