Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oldie - fitness for long trip/off piste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK I've posted elsewhere that, at the age of 55, I'm going to spend 7 weeks skiing next winter in 2 spells (3 weeks in January and 4 from mid March) in L2A.

I obviously want to make the most of this by ensuring that I'm as fit as possible for it. I've been working pretty hard for some time and can ski pretty much all day on piste but off piste tires me quickly. Improving my off piste skiing will be a priority next year.

I'm still a little overweight (BMI of 26) but expect to be down to around 172cm/74kg (BMI under 25) by then. Current thoughts on exercise are:-

Spring/Summer/early Autumn - I do a fair bit of biking, 3 times a week, up to 50 miles on the road last summer. I hope to increase that to 75 miles this year. I used to do a fair bit of inline skating and I think I'll do a little of that too, I think it's good for skiing. I intend (I don't atm in summer) to do various situps, squats and a few weights too.

Late Autumn/Winter - I've a Crosstrainer which I use 3 times a week for 30 minutes (I'll probably up this to 40) plus a few situps, squats and a weights. Bike rides if the weather is OK.

I've also become more careful what I eat and have reduced alcohol consumption (but perhaps I should increase that as part of the training for next year :D )

Anything else I should be doing? At 55 I don't expect to become mega fit btw.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Balance / stability exercises .....

Just do a youtube search

http://youtube.com/v/BHtUyVifAxo

http://youtube.com/v/vZY2dSvPKLI

http://youtube.com/v/CqToTTMJ0yE
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, is that from a gay fetish site Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like your off piste tiredness isn't coming from fitness but technique. Ski fit comes in the first 7 days of the season IMO and although you can do a fair bit to prep your legs with single leg presses, quad curls and lunges you'll never totally simulate the demands. Work on technique with periodic guided/instructed sessions at a dome over summer would be my recommendation to enhance general fitness stuff.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Claude B, one of the energy-sapping aspects of off-piste skiing, for me, is hauling yourself up after the inevitable crashes. That needs upper body strength - so best not to neglect that. I can't remember whether you did Charlotte's On2Off course this year. Are you going to do it next year?

Did you see the video of old ladies skiing off piste? Very inspiring and underlines what fatbob says about technique. Someone will remember where it is.

From personal experience I would say that especially for people past their physical prime, longer ski trips are more manageable than short ones. You can work up to it slowly, you can take some rest days when weather is cr*p, you can do things like snowshoeing, or some XC skiing, for a change of scene and keep up your cardiovascular fitness.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, and fatbob, yes you're both right my technique is lacking and I am planning on doing On2Off. I did see that video and the one of skilegs.

DB, Thanks that's helpful, I'll try those.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Claude B, it is not meant entirely seriously Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno, I thought not but the Scorpion looks like something from that sort of site (or so I've been told ) Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Claude B, I was supposed to be doing On2Off this year but had to pull out after fracturing my pelvis. Sad Wondering about next year.... but I'm a LOT older than you. wink It would be the best incentive to really work on strength and fitness.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Claude B,

Why not try & find a local fitness club/boot camp?

I keep fit in the summer training with these guys http://www.realfitness.org/ and normally do 3/4 sessions a week. Lots of different people come along from serious runners to people just trying to loose a few pounds.

Much better than training on your own. I am sure there must be someone local to you.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all some useful info. I don't think I'm the boot camp type tbh, even when I used a gym regularly I pretty much did my own thing. Biking tomorrow I think, should be fun against a 20mph wind.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think it's good to have some HIIT style exercise in with everything else. I like this youtube chanel, most exercises are bodyweight or only requires weights and are under 12 minutes but are generally pretty tough.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuzkaLight
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pilates. Spendy but good for core strength.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy