Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Codfather Part 2: Lofoten Islands TR (Also with Pics)

Poster: A snowHead
My version of events from offpisteskiing's superb week of ski touring in the Lofoten islands, complemented by Arno's thread (http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=99793).

Day 1: We turn up in a snowstorm, which clears to reveal this!

Henningsvaer in the late afternoon:

Day 2: First day of skiing and we wake up to this view...

...which rapidly becomes this view at our first ski destination:

We gained a mere 300m of height on skins in rapidly worsening weather before deciding to turn back. The wind was gusting 40mph+, vis was down to 20m and it was absolutely puking with snow (albeit horizontally). It was during out descent that we spotted a pair of crossed skis, next to which were 2 girls, one of whom had broken her hip in 3 places after skiing off a cornice in the murk. We were fortunate to have a doctor qualified in mountain medicine with us (Nick M) who did an absolutely fantastic job of stabilising her whilst we waited for the volunteer mountain rescue. To cut a long story short, it took 3 hours+ before we were all safely down:

Day 3:

Again, the cloud had closed and there wasn't a lot of vis beyond a km or two:

In a matter of minutes, this view appeared as we topped a col...we were all speechless:

The snow wasn't exactly crap either:

After 2 pints of beer we were all bankrupt so turned to night photography back in Henningsvaer:

Day 4:

Things didn't start well with Captain Oates-levels of weather outside:

However, things cleared up enough to get out. Again, the wind prevented us from getting more than 500m up. After a slight mishap involving Arno, a DPS ski, Dynafit Speeds sans brakes and a long hill, we got a decent ski in:

At this point, the magic really happened. Ski to the sea, anyone?

On our return to Henningsvaer, the Lofotens gave us this:

Day 5:

Today started well. Another 700m peak which felt like a 2000m peak. More views and pretty deep powder on the way up:

...and the way down? Too much untracked knee deep creamy powder to take photos...with added chest shots. Perfect.

Day 6:

We travelled to the westernmost island on a true bluebird day. The photos speak for themselves. The views were jaw dropping:

Day 7:

Our final day turned out to be another perfect bluebird day. We ascended another 700m peak. We thought that the views of the previous day were good...until we saw this:

Finally, the man who made this incredible trip happen, offpisteskiing.

I never thought I'd say this but forget Fernie, forget La Grave, this place is home to the finest skiing experience on earth. Truly awesome in every sense of the word snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 10-04-13 23:14; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Balls. That hasn't gone well. I'll attempt to actually get the photos to show...help?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think BB code needs a standard image suffix in the URL (e.g. .jpg or .png) to work. I could be wrong though...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Copy and past thecode you get when you press share on Flickr, no need for the [img] tags either.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
on Flickr you can copy and paste the code if you click on share and then "grab bb code"
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Got it snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nice Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lovely pics guys - looks really like the edge of the world.

Good also to see Arno keep up his record of Blue Steel modelling poses in the day 5 group shot.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was it a requirement to be able to take awesome photos to go on this trip Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow! Stunning photos
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, i am trying to achieve the rugged/ghey look
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ChrisWo wrote:
Was it a requirement to be able to take awesome photos to go on this trip Very Happy

No word of a lie: it was almost impossible to take a poor photo (unless you got your camera out in the horizontal apocalyptical storms). The scenery and the light that far north were just epic.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BobinCH, thanks snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm going there. No idea when, or what for. I just am.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy, you'll need this: www.offpisteskiing.com snowHead
snow report
Wow!
snow conditions
clarky999, imagine each of those peaks having seen the attentions of maybe a few dozen skiers over the week...the vast majority were totally untracked with windbloiwn but creamy powder. Most snow they'd seen in April for 30+ years snowHead
ski holidays
Flouncymark, snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Flouncymark, wow, that looks like a special place. Can you provide a link to the lift map?

wink
latest report
Is that ski in ski out?

Apres ski doesn't look up to much, think I'll stick with France.

wink
snow conditions
That looks absolutely jaw dropping. Nearly worth chopping in my board for a touring set up for.......... Laughing
snow report
Absolutely incredible! I think it's time to look up the Norwegian rellies and make a trip out there.
ski holidays
Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing
ski holidays
Wow. Just wow.
latest report
Inspiring. Well done guys.
ski holidays
For some pro standard photos, keep an eye on Summit Photographs on f'book - that is Nick M's page and he'll be putting pics up in due course
snow report
I'm further disappointed that this TR hadn't been subtitled: Sleeping with the Fishes. Slow pitch there.
snow report
fatbob, you can rest assured that a fairly comprehensive range of fish-puns came out during our time in Lofoten
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
great pics of what looks like a fantastic trip Cool Cool Cool Cool
snow report
fatbob, we spent too much time floundering about in the snow to think of fishy puns.

DB, ski in ski out? Changed by the minute and depended upon which direction the wind was coming from Wink As for the apres, we savoured every sip - mostly because every sip cost the price of a small family hatchback
snow report
Flouncymark, not sure if they have a similar beer "class" system as Sweden, but if so, we used to go for the Class 2 beer iirc which at least stands a chance of getting some change from a significant denomination bank note when you buy a round. Summer, though, so 3-4% beer was quite refreshing.

edit: seems the Norwegian version is a bit lighter still. Bit too light to admit drinking, but then you don't go to Scandinavia to get wasted.

Norway has been on the MTB radar for a while. Next year maybe.
snow report
Arno wrote:
For some pro standard photos, keep an eye on Summit Photographs on f'book - that is Nick M's page and he'll be putting pics up in due course

here's the link

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Summit-Photographs/286043071470037?fref=ts

and here's one of the early ones - offpisteskiing is the skier:

ski holidays
I have now fallen hook line and sinker for a Lofoten trip now! better dust down the splitboard.... snowHead
ski holidays
Tremendous
snow report
...and now, finally, some selected footage from my vanity stick. Enjoy...cos that's what we did snowHead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7E7SgQhwLvg
snow report
nice!
I haven't been able to face my goggle-cam footage yet Confused
snow report
Arno, pun intended I assume? wink
snow report
Absolutely stunning shots - so much so that I have chosen one of them for my desk top wallpaper (The first one after the caption day 7).
latest report
hmm, great shots, and oddly a job within my company has come up for lofoten! Unfortunately looking at beer price comments I wont be applying Laughing

Thanks for sharing, i wish i had the brassies to take on something like that Toofy Grin
ski holidays
That looks rather special Flouncymark

http://youtube.com/v/7E7SgQhwLvg
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy