Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spring Jacket suggestions welcome.

Poster: A snowHead
As hubby has decided his winter jacket is way too warm for Val Thorens in 2 weeks time, I've been instructed to find him a suitable jacket. I'm thinking he will be wanting a soft shell for spring skiing, but will he also need a hard shell to layer if it is snowing? Any links to current sales appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hells Bells, i believe that you can get soft shells that will do both.

Arc'teryx:

I am liking my Gamma Sv which has done about 10 seasons and would probably cope with most stuff, also loving my Atom as a mid layer - although a little wind and showerproof and I have used it spring skiing on its own, it may not cope with late season inclemencies.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name, thanks, that one was already on my short list.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a jacket designed for cycling / riding which I use as a sealed waterproof layer where warmth is not required - can't remember the make, but bought from Cotswold Outdoors...
a lot cheaper than skiing kit at the time...
ultimately you want something small to fit in a pocket easily / waterproof / no restriction of movement...
I then just ski with t-shirt / jumper and carry it...

Alasdair
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
akirk, he probably needs something a little heavier than that, as he will be going off-piste, and as said above, late season inclemencies may happen.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells, in very warm weather last week I found my normal, quite heavy, jacket was fine with just a short-sleeved base layer underneath, as it has some good vents. Same went for my trousers. And yes, it might rain - and then, specially late in the afternoon as lifts are closing, it can all get a bit chilly.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, I will be fine with my normal jacket. I know J will be way too hot again in his Spyder one.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arc' Sidewinder SV hardshell - super lightweight Goretex Pro so great for spring stuff & when layered up he'll never wear his Spyder again wink. And you'll get one a great price at the moment.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells, there have been quite a lot of Haglofs and Mammut shell and softshell jackets in TKMaxx branches of late, might be worth a look Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sarah, a pile of junk in our TKMaxx unfortunately.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hells Bells, Laughing sometimes it is like that, very unpredictable.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarah, there's never anything decent in our local one.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A goretex softshell is actually just a soft-feeling hardshell, would be a good option (as would just a standard hardshell). Worth getting something with at least some waterproofing (check for DWR if you opt for a 'true' softshell), in case of rainfall/sleet in resort/low altitudes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells,
Got to be layers.
Light first layer that wicks, soft shell and hard shell in the pack in cases it snows/ rains!!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am selling mine - not sure if this is the sort of thing you are looking for? http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=99759
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
akirk, he probably needs something a little heavier than that, as he will be going off-piste, and as said above, late season inclemencies may happen.

fair point Smile though I have been under Iguacu Waterfalls in mine - so it is possible to get good & light...
I guess I always take several layers with me and then mix and match, any my main skiing jacket is pretty cool with vents open if necessary...

Alasdair
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
sarah, a pile of junk in our TKMaxx unfortunately.
Our is always like that too.
Got a Go Outdoors nearby Hells ? Might be worth a look. Got my Dare2be soft shell there - not everyone rates them but I think it's spot on.
latest report
I've recently skied in a T shirt. In hot weather either a thin soft shell, a breathable hard shell with massive pit zips or a cheap nylon windproof. In fact I did most of this winter in a windproof fleece with softshell shoulders over a thin base layer. Used this down to -10C with no problems. Just ski faster if you get cold wink
ski holidays
Tarquin, there's one up in Newcastle somewhere I think. I might drag him up there on Saturday afternoon.

smithy05, thanks, but XL will be too big for him.
ski holidays
I have an Arc'teryx Sabre jacket that has proved to be very versatile all season. Underneath on cold days I have an insulated & wicking Skins base layer and a windproof North Face fleece, whereas in the warmer days last week I just have the base layer plus a very thin merino midlayer, and made good use of the armpit zips in the jacket when overheating.

It is super lightweight, waterproof and flexible in all the right places. Looks good too - I've had lots of compliments Smile

One word of warning though is for your hubby to try before you buy if possible - they tend to be bigger than the size suggests. I'm normally a Large or even XL on some clothes, but the medium jacket fitted perfectly.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, Arcteryx Beta shell with Icebreaker layer(s) under.
snow report
Arcteryx Stinger SV with Icebreaker layer(s) underneath. Use on the coldest days in St Anton to the warmest ski days in Australia - just adjust the layering. The Stinger is no longer made, but the Sidewinder SV looks pretty close.
snow report
I am interested in acquiring a soft shell, partly for XC skiing, partly for walking in the UK. I am thoroughly confused. I think what I want is a highly breathable jacket, and windproof. But I have read that waterproof ones are going to be less breathable? I wouldn't have a problem with a lightweight waterproof to go over the top if necessary; I already have one of those.

Or are the best ones both highly breathable AND waterproof?
ski holidays
pam w, I have been impressed by the water resistance of a softshell that I got from Decathlon, it still seems breathable too.
ski holidays
rjs, I had a quick look in Decathlon but though there was a good range for men, there wasn't that much for women - I did try some men's ones, but the shape/size just wasn't right. Might go to Albertville next time it rains, and have another look in Decathlon and Au Vieux Campeur, or down to the big Quechua place in Passy - they might have a wider stock.

I really don't want to pay hundreds of pounds for an Arcteryx product. Shocked I don't think I do enough walking to justify that.
snow report
pam w, I got a superb SOS one from TK Maxx for very little cash, but you have to be lucky in there of course.
ski holidays
pam w, try the end of season sales though....the Arcteryx shop in Verbier last week had this year's stock at up to 50% off
snow report
I tried on loads Au Vieux Campeur today, including several different Arctryx offerings. Ultimately I was willing to spend whatever, to find something which really seemed right. I took so long that from being bright sun and 22 degrees Shocked outside it was p*ssing down. After much deliberation I bought a Haglofs one

http://www.haglofs.com/en-us/products/clothing/layers/soft-shell/women/boa_q_hood_en-us.aspx

in purple. It said €142 on the label but I paid €113 - I think there was some sort of promotion on.

So, I had to wear it straight away, to avoid getting soaking. Very comfortable. I think I might live in it.

Some of them were very clumsy and some very expensive Eider ones had ridiculously long and tight sleeves but were big in the body. Made for chunky women with very thin arms? There was quite a good Rab one, but the hood was too bulky. I was rather glad not to like the Arcteryx ones!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, looks very good and for quite a good price too. Had to re-read your post as when I opened the link the bright pink jacket flashed up and I thought 'no, not pink, I don't see pam w as a bright pink kind of gal'! The purple is just the job, I like it very much, in fact it would match my new skis very nicely Laughing
latest report
sarah, thanks, I'm pleased with it. snowHead
ski holidays
pam w, nice looking jacket. I might have a look for one when I'm in France next week.
After trying some on today, J bought a Berghaus Goretex shell. He can always buy another layer if he wants to wear it in winter. Bright green so I can't lose him.
snow report
[b]Hells Bells[b], it's very lightweight, and majors on breathability, I think, because it doesn;t have "membranes". I've never had a softshell before, so not sure what to compare it with. I wore it for a walk down in the Hauteluce Valley this afternoon, and it was perfect, over a short sleeve T shirt. It would have been FAR too cold for skiing this morning - I wore my normal winter jacket and a fleece underneath. Rushing through the air it was quite cold, though as soon as I stopped and sat in a deck chair I had to take the jacket off.

I think my softshell will be great for walking in the UK, or the Alps in Spring/autumn. It's supremely comfortable because the fabric is so stretchy and it looks quite good. snowHead

There were some very nice goretex shells Au Vieux Campeur, but I do have a lightweight waterproof (not Goretex though) so decided against one of those.
ski holidays
pam w, Good choice at a nice price - Arcteryx is way over priced in my opinion, its nice gear but you pay a premium for the name a bit like Apple products in the techno world.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy