Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

reccomendation for hire shop for touring gear

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am thinking of going to chamonix for a course on glacial terrain (crevasse rescue etc) , but i dont have much of the stuff i need.

touring boots
skis with touring bindings
skins
ski crampons
ice axe
etc etc

Does anyone know a shop that could kit me out with all of these? The most important is a place used to hiring out touring boots because where i usually ski the hire shops seem to only hire out alpine boots.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ractys, try Grand Montets Sports - at the base of the lifts in Argentiere. You can check out their web site to see if it is what you are looking for.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ractys, A question - why are you doing a course on glacial terrain if you havent got the gear? I would have thought it advisable to have the right gear if you are planning to go into this terrain in future, which is presumably why you are doing the course? Or are you just doing the course for information sake, which seems a bit random?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Why are you doing a course on glacial terrain if you havent got the gear?
Because not everyone will want to rush out and buy all the gear when venturing into a new area of mountain sports. Before deciding that ski touring was for us, Mrs MA and I hired all the kit (in Argentiere) for a short intro tour. We also hired ice axes and borrowed harnesses/slings/carabiners etc for summer hut to hut hiking in the Alps.

Sound sense I'd say.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hi thanks for the replies, i'm actually doing it in the ecrins instead of chamonix now.

i've done ski randonee before, but with alpine boots, now i've got some proper randonee boots in the sales Smile which should make things more comfortable and gives me more options as its iso alpine/dynafit/at compatible.

but never needed ski crampons and all the other stuff for glaciers, the binding i have is a salomon guadian which is more for side country and they dont seem to make a ski crampon for that binding. I guess my only option is to hire some kis with more suitable bindings and crampons. which then means i cant use my skins because theyd be the wrong shape.... nightmare!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You might want to pack a ladder too - the Ecrins is effin steep touring country.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ractys, there are two good shops in Chamonix which I will name in case others find this thread looking for the same, Sanglard, and Snells book in advance for a cheaper deal. I have no idea re the Ecran but I would guess that the outfit running the course can put you straight, guides often include transceiver hire in their fee.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy