Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing before Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Verbier should be open by then....normally partially opens mid to late November
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another vote for Obergurgl - I went during the week before xmas a couple of years ago and practically all the runs were open.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does anyone know if any Tour Operators will be offering hotel accommodation for the 2 weeks
before Christmas (last year all we could find were chalet deals)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
valleyboy, the volume of customers might not justify it, from a TO point of view, but if you contact hotels direct you could probably get some good deals.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CaravanSkier: We've skied loads at that time of year - sometimes even earlier - and have never had a problem in finding decent snow. The secret is to book flights but not accommodation until you see where the best snow is. That date is very low season so accommodation will be in plentiful supply and easy to find.

Chances are that most places could well have fair snow cover by then - but you would not have a problem with somewhere that has a glacier as backup - eg Tignes, Saas Fee, Zermatt, Cervinia, Soelden or Hintertux; or a good snow record - eg St Anton, Obertauern, Ischgl.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Chances are that most places could well have fair snow cover by then

but that doesn't mean they'll have any lifts open. wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am finding it difficult to find both high accommodation, and lifts planned to be open. Those places where both are possible are not as cheap as I might have supposed, with several quotes coming back at around £9,000 per person for a catered chalet!

Lower down, where it may well be rainy and I don`t want to be even though there is easy access to lifts up to high skiing, there are some absolutely superb chalet deals, real luxury at basic prices.

Mountain addict I can not take a chance on accommodation, much as I would like to.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CaravanSkier, not sure where you are looking? Just as an example seems plenty at reasonable prices on here.

http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/home/2.html
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've skied the 3V a couple of times & Tignes the last few years and never had problems with lifts or Snow cover.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Take a look at the hotels with Inghams in Obergurgl - something like the Sportiv is £675 per person half board. This is adjacent to the Crystal which we stayed in years ago in their white week offer Inghams used to do. Nice location we had snow on our balcony and we actually went 2 weeks before Christmas.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you nozawaonsen, husband has ruled out St Anton, must ask him why! Shock

The TO`s I contacted re Obergurgl claimed no where had enough availability for our group. The couple of hotels I contacted directly seemed expensive bear in mind we want some single rooms. But thank you NickyJ I am still investigating Obergurgl.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CaravanSkier, The lower villages in Tignes would be an economical option, if the lower runs to the village are not open then the lifts up and down from the higher terrain will be, I know you say you don't want that (and in Les Boisses I have never had rain at that time of year, just shed loads of snow) but if you can't pay the higher prices for the higher villages then htats the trader off
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CaravanSkier, on another thread a new poster called Born Slippy has mentioned staying in this place. http://www.les-balcons.co.uk/presentation/les-balcons-de-belle-plagne.html

There are a number of different sized apartments of good quality. It's high, should be snowsure. Not normally a place for a non skier but the skiing is very close - your aunt could feel "amongst it all". Might be worth exploring, and Born Slippy offered to answer any queries

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=99811#2278430
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been to the Garmisch , Innsbruck circuits when I lived in Germany 3 years in a row no probs with Snow or runs being open then. Even went to Stubai in October the first year, a wee bit icy though as you'd expect from a Glacier. Thing is the Zugspitz another Great glacier 30 years ago is just a mere trickle. Wound not call it a Glacier now judging by what I observed last summer flying over it on the way back from Turkey Sad so I guess the Stubai Glacier may not be that far behind Sad((((
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AJQ, Stubai is in excellent shape, no worries (at all) on that front! Think it's actually Europe's largest glacier resort (?).

This is what 40cms of Stubaier (last) October pow looks like coming for your face:

snow report
Holidaylover don`t you just hate trade offs!

Very Happy

Thank you Pam I have asked some questions of Born Slippy but trip advisor reviews are not too reassuring!

I have found a couple of not ideal, but probably acceptable properties but I`m still looking.

What about the new areas of Flaine? I detest the old ugly centre but the newer hamlet looks ok. Any one got any thoughts? I have skied the area in the past so I know the skiing will suit, but will be likely to have snow, will it even be fully open? I have emailed the tourist office but have not had a reply yet.

I`ve also looked at Arc 1950 but am confused who to contact, as emails seem to bounce back.

Thanks again for all the info, its a real help.
latest report
Clarky999, thanks for the reassuring info. It may well be worth another look then. From what I recall very few spoke English in those days and was a real test of what was my very basic German then but I got by, both skiing and language skills. Both were very early days for me then Happy
ski holidays
AJQ, things have changed considerably in 30 years - you will find that most Austrians in the tourism business now speak better English than a lot of so-called native speakers!
snow report
CaravanSkier, you might find this list of opening and closing dates for this season useful as a guide. The Grand Massif, including Flaine, wasn't due to open till 22/12 and IIRC it didn't - I was looking around because I had some very keen visitors for Christmas who arrived before Les Saisies was open. The only skiing we could find was a very limited area in Megeve.

Trip Advisor reports of the Balcons place look OK - overwhelming majority are good or better. There are comparatively few really large French self-catering places and even fewer in places pretty well guaranteed to have no rain the week before Christmas. As we have a real-life snowhead who has stayed there 3 times you should be able to get a really good feel for the pros and cons.

Life is full of trade-offs. wink
ski holidays
http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/resort-opening-closing-dates.htm

sorry - rambling on, forgot to include the link!
ski holidays
Quote:

I just Googled Reberty as I was confused about where/what it is. The first phrase I read described it as high and pretty, two boxes immediately ticked So thank you

Reberty is basically part of Les Menuries. It's just slightly further round and slightly higher. Les Menuires isn't the most attractive looking resort (concrete buildings everywhere). Reberty is the newer part and they've tried to make it look more like a nice alpine resort, which it does. I think Reberty goes up to 2000m

This season was great for early snow, we had deep fresh powder on the opening weekend and great coverage everywhere! Wherever you go, early to mid Dec is a bit of a gamble (any week is to an extent!). Look for height and aspect (north facing)
snow report
Quote:

Look for height and aspect (north facing)
I would suggest that historical snow depths and terrain type may be more accurate e.g. Schladming is skiing on grass pasture, Val Thorens is skiing on stony ground. 30cm in Schladming is fine, 30 cm in VT is not.
ski holidays
Its so good of everyone to take the time to give me all this information. Thank you
ski holidays
pam w, sorry your not correct about the 22nd ......................well unless i was imagining it i was skiing rather nice powder on Tuesday December 18th in les carroz, and Flaine was fully open from the previous weekend and partialy open on 8th/9th december Les Carroz gondola was fully open from the 15th, and quite a few of the other lifts at the weekend of 15th / 16th. Whole of GM opened on Friday 21st.

The individual GM resort websites will have the dates of early opening plans i.e lescarroz.com and flaine.com

see this thread

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=92079&start=80
snow report
carroz, yes, sorry, faulty memory on my part. But I think if someone is planning accommodation now for the week before Christmas they would need to be 100% sure that the report was going to be officially fully open. When do opening dates for 2013/14 get published?
latest report
pam w, Not usually until September / October, but sometimes something appears on the flaine website earlier. All the much earlier opening info normally only appears a week before...depends on white stuff! so for planning not much use really. However Flaine nearly always opens a week (approx 15th) before the whole of the GM unless conditions are really bad, even in 2006/07 (i think) it was open the week before.
ski holidays
I've skied the opening week of the season for the majority of the last 10 or 12 years, mainly in Tignes, Meribel and Les Arcs. Always had enough snow for the majority of pistes to be open at the beginning of their seasons, and often had excellent conditions with plenty of fresh tracks. For example:

8 December 2012 in Meribel

14 December 2011 in Meribel

15 December 2010 in Meribel

10 December 2009 in Solden

2 December 2008 in Tignes

If the weather gods are kind the opening week of the season can be awesome Happy
snow conditions
Certainly looks like it Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wonderful looking snow in those photos 'sigh' Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

Wonderful looking snow in those photos 'sigh'

Indeed, but you could see equally truthful pictures of green meadows and soft refreshing rain. We arrived here on New Year's Eve 2006, with Les Saisies looking horrendous. Brown skidmarks of pistes, surrounded by acres of brown grass. Worst I've ever seen it (and I've been here till the end of season in April all but one of the last ten years).

It snowed overnight, and - hey presto! It all looked terrific.

Sometimes the problem is that though it's cold, it's very dry - then the resorts with big snowmaking can do well and the places where pistes are on pasture (such as Les Saisies) can keep things going OK. But sometimes it's just too warm - and then you do definitely need the altitude. Sometimes early snow is better in the east (ie Austria) but not always.

Good early snow will see some (not all, by any means) opening earlier than published.

But if you absolutely have to book now, and given your other requirements, including minimum chance of rain at accommodation level and wi-fi (which many privately-owned places may not have) you really have little choice but to aim for one of the most snow-sure places which in France, at any rate, means they are not going to be very pretty/traditional and if the weather is bad could be very bleak, cold and windy. I've not been to Obertauern or Obergurgl but google images suggests they are no more picturesque than Reberty. Less grim than parts of Tignes, maybe, but that's not much of a recommendation. wink
snow report
pam w wrote:

Indeed, but you could see equally truthful pictures of green meadows and soft refreshing rain. We arrived here on New Year's Eve 2006, with Les Saisies looking horrendous. Brown skidmarks of pistes, surrounded by acres of brown grass. Worst I've ever seen it (and I've been here till the end of season in April all but one of the last ten years).
Of course that's right. The start of the 2006/07 season was especially poor (in the Western Alps at least IIRC), but there was still plenty of skiing to be had on the upper slopes. I was in Les Arcs for the the final two weeks of December and the pistes below 1700m relied heavily on man made snow, but there was lots of great on-piste skiing to be enjoyed. I've skied every year since 1979 including lots of trips in December and earlier. In that time I've never once had so little snow that skiing has been impossible. My advice would be to choose one of the higher resorts in whatever country you decide to ski in. That's not without potential downsides, but in general it will give you the best chance of snow if the season gets off to a poor start.
latest report
Have you thought of Japan? Go to Niseko / Rusutsu in Japan. Powder heaven! Smile
ski holidays
CaravanSkier, have a look at Mark Warner, lots of their hotels are available that week, and they're doing early booking discounts.

http://www.markwarner.co.uk/ski-early-deals
snow conditions
Got to be Europe I`m afraid! Long flights are out of the question at present!

Think its going to be high and bleakish we have to settle for, hmmmm decisions, decisions Puzzled Smile Can`t please everyone all the time lol
ski holidays
awww. should make a trip down there some time. the snow is amazing.

i'm sure u'll have fun wherever you decide to go! Little Angel
snow conditions
We are certainly looking at Niseko for 2015 , will go back to SSV and LL next March though Happy
snow report
AJQ, Think carefully before going for Japan early season, January or February much better bets than December.
snow report
yellowveggiez wrote:

Ischgl has an excellent early season record, and while no the most attractive village around, most of it is still pretty nice.
snow conditions
Any thoughts on Arc 1950?
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
yellowveggiez wrote:

Ischgl has an excellent early season record, and while no the most attractive village around, most of it is still pretty nice.

And next season opens with a concert by Nickelback. Not a huge fan but could probably belt out a reasonable beer inspired "Are we having fun yet..."
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy