Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Joining the club- here or in the resort?

Poster: A snowHead
A bit of advice please

going to Val d'isere ( never been before) - skiing mostly on my own as an intermediate ( average)... people have advised me to join up and ski with the reps......

so reading some of the threads- do you get a better deal if you join in the resort?

ta for advice

Vis
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
vis, you get 2 years for the price of one if you join in resort. But we wanted to use the discounts to book a holiday, so we joined on the web. It worked out cheaper for us doing it that way.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I joined over the phone then found out about the two season deal if you join in resort.

Wait til you get there and join. You get a day with the rep free so you can try before you buy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ta for the advice
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
vis, you have the same name as my MP, Rudi Vis

Are you, by any chance, related?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sorry wink - but no it isnt me
I have two xx chromosomes, and dye my hair to hide the grey!

happy to be growing old
vis
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
vis, Certain holiday companies offer ski hosting, or social skiing. This is usually excellent.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Although ski leading / guiding by T.O.s is increasingly rare in France because of the ESF's opposition to it.

For those likely to go for the 2 for 1 in resort offer, make sure your chosen resort has an SCGB rep - not all do. Listed here
vis will be OK in Val D. The rep led skiing programmes generally start as a 'blues cruise' and get harder through the week. But are variable depending on weather, snow conditions, and mainly who turns up and what level they want to ski at.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kuwait_ian, is that the case? I mean not the ESF's long-standing opposition to it, but reps effectively being prevented from providing the service? I know that in a certain nearby resort, from talking to the ESF director, that they're far from happy - but it's tolerated, even free accommodation provided for the Ski Club rep as I understand it, and the situation doesn't look likely to change.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, I said T.O. leading or guiding. SCGB reps are treated rather differently largely because their reps are invited in by the resort who as you say often (but not always) also provide free accommodation. I was thinking of the likes of Crystal and Neilsens who used to provide some pretty basic tours around the resort (where to lunch, how to avoid queues, where to ski in bad weather, etc) led by their resort rep or a knowledgeable assistant but very few T.O.s still provide this service in the bigger French resorts. Last time I used it in LP (some years ago), the T.O. had to pay for an ESF instructor to come with us in order to stay 'legal'. The guy did nothing and was the original grump. The following year not surprisingly the T.O. wouldn't pay out again and just dropped the service.

Where a small T.O. is based in one smaller place, I understand it can be possible to have a sufficiently good relationship with the resort staff and the ski schools to do it - but usually not in uniform and all very low key. David Last could say more about this I suspect.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 7-11-05 15:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kuwait_ian, In La Plagne in Jan Silver Ski had the full uniform on and included a trainee host also in full uniform, wheras Ski Olympic were incogskisnow at both La Ros and Courchevel. Not everyones cup of tea but IMHO a great service and a great way for singles to meet and ski with others.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, Agree - SP and I had a great ski host ( Harry ) for the week we stayed in La Ros with Ski Olympic last year. As you say there was no uniform but he certainly knew his stuff, no tuition either as that is a no no, but he certainly knew his stuff. And we got to meet and ski with skiers from other chalets which was nice.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, good I'm pleased LP have eased up. I've used T.O. ski leading in Serre Che and LP and as you say it's great for solo travellers not taking lessons to meet others staying in the same place and to get familiar with the resort. It was never taking business from the ESF and could even have generated some from people who wanted to improve.
So can we look forward to Nade doing a bit of extra curricular leading for Silver Ski next season. ?? Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kuwait_ian, you're absolutely right, we don't wear uniforms nor do Ski Olympic in La Rosiere but everyone knows who we are and the service we offer. They also know we're not attempting to compete with ski schools, if our host has a skier in his group who can't keep up then he/she will tactfully suggest that some lessons might be in order, unfortunately not every skier is prepared to listen. We have had occasions when our host has refused to take out someone, unfortunately a snowhead, he thought was a danger to themselves and others. It's quite easy to maintain good relations in a small resort, very different, I would suggest in a larger station although I have taken guests to other resorts when snow conditions have not been good, never had any problems.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In the past the Which Good Skiing and Snowboarding Guide has always had a voucher in the cover to give a discount for SKGB membership. The 2005 edition gave half price membership (£24.50 ind / £35 fam) at a cost of £15.99 and u get to keep the book too Very Happy

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone does need to join from home.
snow report
And there is a free gift thrown in with 'normal' membership if you sign up for direct debit - boot bags and the like. Not sure what they are currently offering. The web site doesn't say.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
kuwait_ian, In La Plagne in Jan Silver Ski had the full uniform on and included a trainee host also in full uniform, wheras Ski Olympic were incogskisnow at both La Ros and Courchevel. Not everyones cup of tea but IMHO a great service and a great way for singles to meet and ski with others.

When we have stayed with Silver Ski the host has always led in uniform except for one year in La Plagne, which was 'a local' dispute' Obviously solved now. Very Happy
ski holidays
[quote="David@traxvax"][b]kuwait_ian[/b], We have had occasions when our host has refused to take out someone, unfortunately a snowhead, he thought was a danger to themselves and others. [/quote]

I wonder who that could have been...hmmmmm? wink
snow report
Tim Brown, I bet you can guess.
latest report
I understand that if you try to sign up to a skifreshtracks holiday (SCGB) as a non-member you can also get the membership half price.
Just linking a few turns together to round off this topic. wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy