Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

buddy needed for adaptive L1 course

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am doing an adaptive L1 BASI course 13th - 17th May at Manchester. Because i am disabled i am unable to bucket a bi-ski down the slope so need to bring along a buddy to do this for me.

I would be able to provide accommodation in a hotel if needed and meet any other costs you have as well as a modest amount for helping me.

If you are interested in helping me, maybe you are thinking of doing your own adaptive L1 course later in the year and want a chance to see how it works without any pressure, then this is an opportunity for you to see how it all works.

to contact me my email is
water_mad@hotmail.com, please just tell me a little about your skiing experience and if you have any experience with disability skiing

thank you very much for looking
Ann
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excuse my ignorance but I don't understand "bucket" in this context, what do you mean "bucket a bi-ski"?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the bi-ski has a handle on it a bit like a handle on a supermarket shopping trolley. The seat on the ski is reffered to as a bucket so bucketing someone means to ski down literally steeping the whole setup like you were steering a shopping trolley, the disabled person doesn't to a lot and the instructor is incharge of where the bi-ski goes.

to be able to do this as in instructor you would need to be able to ski the indoor snowdome slopes without and issue, be good at snowplough as the adaption from snowplough to crabbing, snowplough but travelling down and across rj snow at the same rime is needed to steer the bi-ski

A bi-ski is a sitski with a seat / bucket on it. it is a bi-ski because un-like a mono ski which has one ski a bi-ski has two short skis under them.

a search for google picture search for bi-ski will get you a bicture of one, or go down to the local disability group and have a look at one in real life.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What a patronising response. Why you didn't just say steer/control/propel rather than bucket in the first place is beyond me.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i did my best to explain to you in terms of someone who knows nothing about disabled ski equipment.
it is obvious that you know nothing about the things i am asking for. the post is asking for someone to help me out no hurle abuse at me. If you want to know about terms for disabled skiing use that topic post. My request is obviously something you are not ready for yet so please refrain from any more posts on it for the sake of posting and allow me to carry on looking for someone to assist me

ann
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ajl338, I had no idea what you meant either, but found your explanation to be exactly that. "An explanation" Wish you luck in finding someone to 'buddy you' snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Ann,

Why don't you try the BASI member's group on Facebook.. I'm sure you will have a good chance of finding someone on there Smile

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BASIMembers/?fref=ts

Best of luck,

Charlie
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ajl338, so the course you are doing is so that you can teach adaptive skiing - I looked it up. Just curious (sorry I'm too far away to help), are you aiming to teach disabled skiers in the use of adaptive skiing equipment, and/or to teach their pilots how to steer one? i.e. if you need a 'pilot' during the course, who provides a pilot when you ultimately teach, you as the instructor, or your pupil? N.B. +1 your response to lilywhite, and +10 to Touretteski,

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 7-04-13 8:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I owe you an apology, you had no way of knowing I was aware of what a bi-ski is. I gave you no indication in the way I phrased my question. I should have asked do you mean you need someone to sit for you or someone to steer for you. I did not mean to cause offence, obviously I did and for that I am very sorry.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
good luck. wish i could help but my daughter is undergoing foot surgery that week. having just started to bucket ride my daughter two weeks ago a strong skier will pick this up very quickly. hope the course goes well
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ajl338, just curious: if you are disabled in a way that prevents you from "bucketing" can you still pass Adaptive L1?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have you got anyone yet?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikeedges - The BASI Adaptive Instructor qualification is open to just about anyone to access given a prerequisite skiing standard. So yes you can attend the course as, say, a mono skier or as a three track skier (just to give two examples). In any teaching, demonstration is a very effective tool, so (again for instance) teaching mono ski from a mono ski is a completely practical thing to do. Indeed in some cases there is very effective crossover of technique whereby, say, a mono skier can very effectively demo three track. If you think about most teaching where equipment is involved is going to be via verbal communication that is just as effective sitting down vs standing up.

However, there are certain other tasks that come into adaptive teaching such as lift loading, helping students up after a fall, tethereing and the aforementioned bucketing. So for these tasks someone attending the course will need to provide their own helper to perform such tasks and the candidate instructor would also be responsible for giving the helper instructions on what was required in any situation.

This is of course a very simplified explanation and I hope it helps. Finally most programmes will also use volunteers to assist instructors when giving lessons - particularly where equipment and lifts are involved. So an instructor in a monoski can still teach in the mountains effectively.

Just to add too, for an able bodied instructor to be able to ski all the equipment and demo from it can be enormously beneficial not to mention great fun. Teaching monoski to an independent monoskier from a monoski is a real blast.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tomichi wrote:
Just to add too, for an able bodied instructor to be able to ski all the equipment and demo from it can be enormously beneficial not to mention great fun.
I agree with that, the adaptive L1 I did was a fascinating week (as well as being challenging) and I thought useful for my alpine teaching as well.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy