Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Supershape Magnum or Rev 85 Pro

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I am currently skiing on Head XRC 800 163cm skis, which I have had for about 6 years now and I'm thinking of buying something new for next season. I am aged 57 years and 80kg, level 7.
I think the SS would be a nice upgrade from my current skis, but should I stretch the envelope a little and go for the new design and wider width of the Rev 85?
Thanks in advance for your input.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Next year the supershape comes in three versions the Magnum the rally and Titan which will be 80 wide, the Rev 85 is slightly rockered and is more a cross over ski, the supershapes are better for piste performance. All are great skis (i have skied on magnums and Rev 90's)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They seem to be focused for different purpose, do you want a hardpack groomer slalom ski or a all around ski for the softer stuff? Personally I don't like tiny turn radius skis for general use,I have a rev 80 pro and they do fine for laying down railroad tracks on icy slope and can bash through crud relatively easily as well. The rocker on rev is quite small too, so not that much different from traditional camber skis.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I guess I really want a hardpack groomer ski that is better than the XRC 800 (which I like). But I'm also considering something a little bit different and more versatile. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Better in what way? As in carving ability and hold on ice, or able to handle things other than good groomed runs? I've demoed an atomic redster which seems to be in the same level as i.supershape and it definitely do well in slalom turns (not so much in GS turns though because the ski want to carve a smaller turn than the edge hold is able to provide, so there's some constant slipping). The rev series is softer so will better in surfaces that aren't flat like crud and moguls, my 80 pro can handle carving well, but I suspect a high level skier can push it beyond what it can give.

I guess it comes down to how often do you ski conditions other than groomed runs, if groomed most/all of the time go with supershape, if you like to venture away go with rev.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The XRC has now done well over 100 days. The ski itself still seems good, the top sheets have held up well and the bases have been well maintained. The edges could probably do with a tune and the camber may have sagged a little, but difficult to compare with new now after 6 years of use. However I am not happy with the bindings. The SP100 rental bindings were never top notch but now they feel loose and rattly. They still release (or not) when they are supposed to but I am sure the skis are not edging and carving as well as they should. Certainly my wife's railflex bindings are much better.
Most of my skiing is on groomed slopes, but I do venture off occasionally (and realise there is a big gap in my skills). The Rev 80 may suit my needs better than the Rev 85 as I would guess it is a better carver. I am tempted with an out and out slalom ski, but I expect I would then have to buy something else as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nwhitta, I have a set of XRC 800i 170cm that are sitting in my loft, they have only done 4 weeks skiing, you could have them for the price of the postage, or swing by Glasgow and pick them up.
They have the railflex bindings.
Drop me a PM if interested.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you for your very kind offer. Unfortunately Glasgow is quite a way from Abu Dhabi, where I now live.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am sure post and package will only be about £300 Shocked

After trying K2 apache, I have moved onto Head Titans, and I love them, fantastic ski.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Finally done the deed. I decided to go down the slalom route after demoing the 2014 supershape magnum at St Anton. Didn't buy the magnum but I found a good deal on a new pair of 2013 model i.supershapes. Very tight and curvy Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why did you prefer the narrower i.supershape over the magnum. Really like the magnum as it covers the whole range of piste conditions from ice to slush and heavy snow.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good question. My XRC's are also 66mm and are not bad in varying conditions so I figured the supershapes wouldn't be any worse as they are wider in the tip and tail with more sidecut. My son tried my XRC's and concluded they had lost their "pop" so I decided to go for out and out slalom skis. I think they will be a lot a fun and be good for developing my technique. I was concerned the supershapes with kers might be too much, so I demoed the nearest equivalent I could find, the 2014 magnum. The magnum is a great ski, I loved it but it's still very expensive otherwise it may have turned my head.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Its an expensive ski. Mine is the 2011 model I bought in an end of season sale for half price. Since I've bought it rearely ski my atomic nomad crimsons.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm really confused by this discussion:
Quote:

I was concerned the supershapes with kers might be too much, so I demoed the nearest equivalent I could find, the 2014 magnum

Quote:

Why did you prefer the narrower i.supershape over the magnum

There are 4 skis in the i SuperShape range: Speed, Rally, Magnum and Titan. They all have Kers.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That is the 2014 range. It was not always so. First there was the supershape, then came the others with the original supershape falling by the wayside after 2013.
ski holidays
We did all forget the obvious answer to the question was both as you need an all mountain ski as well Very Happy
latest report
Happy I have something which will get me anywhere on the mountain where there is snow, however deep. A pair of Spruce Sherpas. The supershapes press entirely different buttons.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy