Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lock for snowblades

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone point me in the right direction for a lock for my snowblades? It would be for use slopeside when getting lunch etc. I assume I could use the same lock as for skis.

Many thanks.

Hannah
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
why? do people actually steal them? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lol very drole! They're brand new and I'd like to at least get one week out of them!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought they would be small enough to carry into restaurant/pub with you Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes I suppose they would, but I don't know how much the owners would like me bringing them in with me to be honest. I thought most people left their skis etc outside because they weren't allowed to bring them in.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hannah, probably only because they take up so much space.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK, sorry. Yes a normal ski lock will be fine... But, why not save yourself a few £s by buying the same piece of kit from B&Q (or similar), I bought a new one t'other day for around £5, brand name Master. A ski / snowboard branded version normally adds another £10.

Don't take them into a restaurant with you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you have nice boards, they are actually easier to lock up (with a ski lock) than skis are.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks very much guys!!

snowHead Hannah
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What boards do you have Hannah? There dont seem to be too many into this little niche area on here, so it is always interesting when someone else is!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
buns, I have Salomon Slowblade 90's, what about you?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There are a lot of the combination type lock + extending wire on ebay. Probably not 100% safe, but would surely be a deterrent ...

http://search.ebay.co.uk//search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=ski+lock
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Ray!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hannah, I got myself a pair of older Line boards this season (old factory stock from when Line was a core company).... im dying to try them out! Are the skiblades your only snow adventure or are they just a little asside from skiing? I am always a bit anxious to admit on a ski forum that I gave up on skiing in place of the short boards!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi buns, I've been skiing (on skis) a couple of times, but when we went to Canada in 2003 I decided to try out some snowblades as I could swap between them, skis and snowboards. I couldn't get on with a snowboard although it was really icy which didn't help but I loved the snowblades. I find skis quite heavy and these are great for me! I'm not your typical snowblader - I'm a 33 year old married woman who is quite happy cruising down gentle tree lined runs rather than off piste and jumps and tricks etc!
ski holidays
I dont think Im even typical of those snowblading..... I believe once you get to about 20 years old, you are ancient! Im not a park person either, i dont trust that I wouldnt break my neck..... given my attempts to persuade my girlfriend into the fun of snow sports, i dont think that would be a wise move!
latest report
buns so you should be... Twisted Evil

Hannah off piste, on blades? Laughing

...all said with a pinch of ice... X x X
snow report
Once you move out of salomon skiblades into skiboards in general, off piste is not that laughable! You can either get longer boards (which I have to say i think are just like short skis) or the newer fat fat boards..... there are quite a few guys in the US will go off piste in really deep stuff without troubles!
snow conditions
buns, I was always told that Skiblades, snowblades and skiboards were all the same thing, just different lengths, side cuts, widths and manufacturers. Snowblades is just Salomon's name for them, bit like we all call vacume cleaners hoovers. As for being anxious about mentioning them - shout it from the roof tops! Blading is where snowboarding was a few years ago, and now that release bindings are being fitted to so many, we will be popping up all over the place in ever increasing numbers! I gave up on skis after 8 years of struggling and love my 99cm blades to bits, and hubby uses 120's that save on his old knees, and we are in our 50's !!!!! parlor, would a lock from B&Q work ok in freezing temperatures?
ski holidays
Hi Sharon

I think I have a pair which have the older style bindings - is it worth getting them swapped over? Mine were brand new for the 03/04 season ...

Many thanks

Hannah
ski holidays
sharon1953 sure, I've seen exactly the same model with a brand name on it selling for £15 in SnR which was £5ish in B&Q. They're not going to stop a determined thief but then again I've not seen a practical carry around ski lock that would. However they work brilliantly as a visual deterent.
snow report
Salomon now make a release binding to fit any of their older blades, I think Ellis Brigham sell them but can't see the bindings on their site, just the blades themselves, but I have read somewhere that they can be bought as a seperate item. I used the head big easy ones first of all, (with release bindings) but didn't like the fat shape, then after toppling out of a fixed chair with non-release binding blades last year, (Salomon 90's) and a planting (too short when the snow was powdery/deep and they halted suddenly and I didn't), I decided not to risk non release again, or very short blades, so and have just bought the new Salomon 99 with release bindings. Now await the hols in Feb to try them out. Do some surfing to see if you can find the bindings, name is Salomon C609 SC Releasable Binding. or contact Ellis Brigham or anyone else you find selling the blades, ie Beans, and Snow and Rock
snow report
Thanks Sharon1953. I can only find the kit for sale at Snow & Rock and that is £65 for the kit alone! My blades only cost £69 new and I haven't even used them yet so I'm going to wait and see how I get on with the bindings I've got. I didn't seem to have any problems with them when I used hired snowblades for a week so fingers crossed will be okay. If I have problems when we next go skiing I might consider getting the new bindings.
ski holidays
Sharon, if you talk to hardcore types who skiboard, the use of the term blade for anything but salomon will warrant a roasting unmatched even by skiers towards us!!

A quick idea of the differences (quoted from elsewhere):

Width - They are very skinny compared to other boards. What does this do terminally to the ride? It makes it harder to float in soft snow, slush, and powder. It also makes for a slower ride because you have less surface area, so your weight is more directly pressed down, slowing the ride.

Binding - Salomon binding are notoriously poor compared to other bindings, especially all metal ones like the bombers, snojam extremes, and the old line bindings. The salomon's are made of soft plastic that, in my experiences and others, is notorious for pre-release at inappropriate times. I've had salomons come off while i was in the air several times.

Binding Position - Salomon doesn't center their bindings like most quality skiboards have. This affects the ride in many ways. One big factor is that it leaves much less board behind you to act as a safety cushion if you start leaning back. Get a little off balance, and you're on your ass. It also affects carving, and makes it much more difficult to ride backwards.

Tip/Tail Size - Being as skiboards are short, a high tip and tail is necessary to be able to power through some of the crud that is in the way. Without reasonable tips, you're much more prone to taking a faceplant forward, or land on the back of your head if riding backwards. Salomon traditionally has smaller tips than most boards, and tiny tails in comparassion.

Foam Core - No how far foam cores have come along, their use in skiboards is far from excellent. My first boards were the salomon SB-10s, and I broke several of them my first year. Foam cores just don't have the strength that wood cores have. At least in my experience, they are far much more prone to breaking, and tend to give a softer feel that doesn't let you control the ride as well.

Hannah,

If you were really set on switching to release bindings, the salmon is not going to be the best (it is designed principally with ski releases in mind), so you would be better getting a set of boards with the spruce release setup (designed specifically for skiboards). Of course this is going to cost you!
latest report
buns, Well I don't use parks, jump or go backwards, I simply use them as short skis. If you read the stuff on the American sites, they swear by 'Line' so I guess it's different strokes for different folks, but I don't claim to be an expert, just someone who likes skiing down the blues and reds in perfect control, without worrying about the turns or my skis crossing over in front of me. By the way, the head big easy does allow you to move the release binding, so that you can change the position according to the conditions and the feel you want.
ski holidays
Im mostly the same sharon but i do like to have the odd spin or jump at the edge of the piste..... if all you want is to ski on shorties, then that is what salomon is all about!

I have a pair of big easy's (which im going to sell actually).... I learnt on them but eye opening occurred when I moved onto 4 hole bindings snowHead

Which site did you see where they were whispering sweet nothings about Line? The ones I know, Line gets flamed now because they went over to skis and now dont make skiboards comparable to those they did early on.

Adam
snow report
buns, Whilst on holiday I spoke to an experienced skier who had lost his confidence after a bad fall, he had tried skiblades for a day, and was raving about how easy they were, and how they had enabled him to improve his skiing technique. Then I started noticing others using them that didn’t fall into the stereotypical gutsy half pipe user.
www.skiboards.com (don't know how to make that a link) is dedicated to the sport, and is what really inspired me to pluck up the courage to try blades at Castelford Snow Dome. Needless to say the ski instructors at Castelford had only bad things to say about them, ‘too girly’ ‘not proper skiing’, and ‘you wont go back to skis’ , and on that point they were right, I never have gone back to skis! I play around doing slalom moves around the piste poles, and play in the deeper snow at the edges, (that’s what caused the planting and I really sore head!) so sold my Salomon miniverse and bought longer ones to avoid this. Skiboards.com will supply any type of board with separate bindings to make up your own system, but by the time you add import duty/tax on at this end, their initial cheap prices become as dear as here.
ski holidays
Sharon, I have to say that I havent seen too many people on skiboards, it is good to hear that you have seen more!

I am more of a skiboardsonline guy..... I got my new boards from them. They actually sent them to the hotel my family was staying at during the summer..... ended up with a spanky new pair of boards and padded bag costing me about £120. Id agree that the price spirals a bit if you get them shipped to the UK, but some of the styles of boards are available in the UK, so if you are a gear freak (which I am getting towards!), you have little choice but to go to these US companies.

A new company to watch out for is Loken..... Norwegian company who will be able to sell to Europe without the US middleman...... snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy