Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix or Tignes mid April skiing.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been given a week off work so I'm looking to get out again for another week. I have been to Tignes many times before and love it. I have never been to Chamonix and would like to go one day. Because its late in the Season do i play it safe and go to Tignes again or do i risk it by going to Chamonix. Do i save Chamonix for another year, earlier on in the season? or will most lifts/runs be open? Anyone been to Chamonix late on in the season or anyone based there around to give me some advice.

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bluenatic, dates?

Most Chamonix areas close April 21, with the exception of the Grands Montets.

I have no idea how much of Tignes is likely to remain open then.

Grands Montets vs Tignes Glacier? GMs wins hands down.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The whole of the Espace Killy is open until 5th May (Tignes until the 12th). With the current snow cover most of the resort will be open until May.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
One of the main difference which is worth considering too is the resort. Very different concepts. Chamonix is a large town with year round activity whilst Tignes is a ski resort.
There is still a lot of snow out there so pretty much wherever you go in the French Alps should be fine until 21/4 when many ski areas are scheduled to close. As chocksaway says, Tignes always stays open until early May. The majority of the ski area should be open until at least 21/4. I have skied on Les Grands Montets in May and I had amazing conditions but in the end it is down to personal preference.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I should have said GMs open until May 12th...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chamonix has lot to offer. But GM one small section that I'm not sure you want to ski everyday (if only to give your legs a break). YoU will be able to do VB also but mostly you'll begoing back to same area as other areas are either low or south-facing and will deteriorate fast as sun gets strong and next mild spell kicks in. You will definitely have more variety in EK at that time. If this is your only chance to go to Chamonix of course go but you'll get more out of it a bit earlier in terms of utilizing its full extent
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Having done both Grands Montets and Tignes on a number of occasions in late April/early May, it's a no brainer.

- GM will keep you amused for a day or two. Basically a couple of long linear runs plus the runs served (at a supplement) by the GM cable car.
- Espace Killy, with (probably) at least 200km of piste open at that time may be slightly more entertaining. See the current photos under Tignes/Val D'Isere Snow Reports if you need convincing any further wink.

Hmmm....... Puzzled

Quote:
Grands Montets vs Tignes Glacier? GMs wins hands down
Agreed - but there will be another 200km of piste open at Tignes - not just the glacier.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers everyone. Will do chamonix one day, but Tignes it is....again.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy