Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moving from ice skating to skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

First post but I've already gained a lot of useful info from reading the forums. I've skied probably 8 days on snow over two family trips (OH parents have a Swiss apartment, plan to make more use of) and 6 hours in my local fridge. I had one private lesson, but no other instruction (I know, get lessons, its on the list), however my main question was how transferable are ice skating skills to skiing???

On cruisy blue runs I found I was relatively competent at making turns and starting to get a feel for using edges as well as the trusty hockey stop style turns I found relatively easy to pick up (I'm 24, skated since age 3), however beyond that, anything steeper and I quickly revert to an unceremonious snow plough. I've been advised by the fridge instructor that I wouldn't gain much from their level 1-4 system as I was already main slope level which seems to be all they aim for, but being essentially self taught means I'm ok if the terrain is not to distant from the ice rink (flattish, not bumpy, not covered in snow, but how do I move these turns onto the steeper stuff??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lampygirl, Where are you based?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
scooby_simon, just outside MK. 10 mins from the xscape place is dangerous as skiing has become quite addictive
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lampygirl,

OK: Skating gives good balance; and will help with the dynamic balance part of the skiing game; but it can also lead to trying to "skate down the mountain" - had this very problem with a girl in a lesson tonight. loads of body movements to get the feet moving! took a while to fix it!

You have answered your own question. Get some lessons!

My guess is that you are "getting away with it" on the easier slopes and as it gets steeper; your technique is letting you down.

Maybe a private lesson or two would help to sort the problems out....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like it backs up my thoughts. I have a decent understanding of the mechanics of using edges to turn, weight transfer etc, but need to practice where there is someone there to make sure I'm using correct technique rather than guessed technique. I should add that I am very aware of the fact I am very much a beginner, but have found trying to get suitable tuition a challenge. Had a good instructor the other day who was getting me to position my body correctly and try to use weight and the edges to turn rather than skidding a lot.

Can you recommend any good local instructors here or at Hemel who don't charge the £150 an hour they want at MK. I'm happy to pay for lessons in resort but again probably private, though work means I'm unlikely to get out til next season now. It suits my learning style better than being part of a big group.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Here's time for the obligatory Inside Out skiing plug. Scott n Rob don't do beginners but if you're already comfortable on main slope one of their lower level days might be appropriate for you. Give one of them a call/email.

Othe ski instruction is available. tamsin conditions apply.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We can offer private lessons at Hemel for less than those MK prices. Our coaches use tried and tested drills and techniques that are used all the way through to national racers which can be applied at different levels depending on where you are.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I skated a lot before and alongside initial learning to ski (Prelim - Gold levels across different areas) - I would say that ice skating gives some advantages:
- balance
- understanding of body position
- understanding of edges
- familiarity with the cold
- if you move on to jumps having done figure skating then there are other advantages as well - especially around the ability to rotate / flip / jump / etc.

however that is it - and it is not a lot Smile
unless you ice-skated at Tower Parks when that was open - when they had the external track with slopes - generally you are on quite flat ground and the movement is very different...
however persevere and keep telling yourself you can do it - if you can ice-skate, skiing is far easier and a lot more fun! You don't go round in circles / you get to spend time drinking various concoctions and you do it in far prittier surroundings (why are ice rinks always in such dismal locations?!)

some good advice above - just pursue the skiing with the same committment as ice skating and you will be fine!

Alasdair
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Move along, nothing to read here.... Embarassed Embarassed

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 4-04-13 21:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lampygirl, your posting reminded me of a comment that I received that touched on skiing and skating - it might be useful to you http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=96245#2200906
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller, wrong fred?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob wrote:
thefatcontroller, wrong fred?

Very................ Laughing Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy