Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A resort for late skiing and stuff other than skiing for aged parentals ... help?

Poster: A snowHead
My sister and I are trying to get my parents interested in snow/skiing. I'd be def up for them learning skiing, but they're 70, and don't want them to die. Ever. Or get broken. They're pretty fit - do long walks and badminton often - but more fragile than me. And I fell lots learning.

ANYway: I was thinking somewhere with snow shoeing routes/someone who could teach them, if it's something that needs teaching. But also with 'other stuff' to do than just ski/walk. My sister was thinking maybe somewhere with very easy skiing. And have them learn very slowly and carefully with tons of lessons.

So ... ideas for getting parents doing something interesting in cold places? Recommendations for resorts? (Probably France, definitely Europe. They speak -ish French. They wont do apres ski.). Any suggestions for activities?

It's basically the only way we'll ever do anything as a family, so I'm a little keen. My sister wont join us for Xmas, but might for skiing.

My sister loves Chamonix, but I think it's a faffy resort with the buses, and the skiing isn't 'easy' (perfect for me, but wouldn't have been when I was learning). I'm trying to remember resorts I've liked, but I've never really explored the towns, or know what routes would be like for walkers.

We did a list of places we've been to see if there were any areas we both liked - but we've only ever looked at from skiing angle ...

Chamonix
Tignes
Val d'Isere (from Tignes, didn't stay there)
Alpe d'huez
St Anton (I LOVE - but partly for the apres ski which wont interest them)
Meribel
Les Arcs
Solden
Porte de Soleils
Les Deux Alpes

any of those particularly good? Any other recommendations?

(please, thanks, etc)

Edit: Is snow shoeing a thing you just do? Is it any way preferable to just normal walking? They like nordic walking (did in Finland)? Do you need teaching?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 2-04-13 10:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chamonix is great with nonskiers. Obviously I'm pretty biased here NehNeh but we go often with parents and in-laws and they've had a great time. I wrote this which might be useful, and links to a detailed seven day itinerary for non-skiers.
http://www.chaletlaforet.com/winter-in-chamonix/chamonix-for-non-skiers
The one thing against Chamonix at the moment is that the train isn't running this year, which would be really useful for them. So maybe a thought for another time?

The other big one would be Zermatt which I think is really well set up for it.
Other possibilities - Megeve? Courmayeur?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
firebug wrote:
Chamonix is great with nonskiers. Obviously I'm pretty biased here NehNeh but we go often with parents and in-laws and they've had a great time. I wrote this which might be useful, and links to a detailed seven day itinerary for non-skiers.
http://www.chaletlaforet.com/winter-in-chamonix/chamonix-for-non-skiers
The one thing against Chamonix at the moment is that the train isn't running this year, which would be really useful for them. So maybe a thought for another time?

The other big one would be Zermatt which I think is really well set up for it.
Other possibilities - Megeve? Courmayeur?

Thank you - I'll have a read. My only concern is that if they DID try to ski, Chamonix didn't seem to have a many really easy green runs. Is there an area where they wouldn't need to bus, but where they could green run back to resort? (Though suppose could take lifts down.)

I don't know Zermatt, Megeve or Courmayeur, so all possibilities for me to explore too.
Thank you
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not really. Well, there are the two greens at Flegere but I don't think I'd recommend it at all, honestly. How about somewhere that has some easy cross country tracks? Les Contamines? Or snowshoeing, like you say, which might be a better option.

The problem is that not many places have the charm for them to enjoy themselves anyway as well as late season snow that is accessible for xc or easy downhill. High altitude places tend to be a bit modern by definition.
Snowshoeing might be a bit easier and much less risky.

(edit - you can just go do it, and that might be an option for them, depending on the state of the tracks. There's a lot to be said for going out with a guide though, partly for safety and partly to get to some really beautiful spots)

Another place to consider might be Samoens? Or even some of the ritzier places like St Moritz or Cortina d'Ampezzo?

I suppose...well, I can only give you my own experience, and everyone's family is different for sure! But they might just be quite happy to be away with you, enjoying nice lunches, fun atmosphere etc rather than trying to get them to learn to ski as well. My older relatives have really enjoyed Chamonix, but even when they were more active, just the exhilaration of mountains, railways, lifts, views, the odd walk etc was really quite enough for them. Also a week might be quite a big commitment for the first time...maybe a long weekend that could be combined with a city break for them, even?

edit - one more thing to bear in mind...again depending on their own preferences...late season is nice because it's quiet and a bit warmer. But you can also miss out on the beauty of thick snow - certainly Chamonix can be looking pretty tatty by mid-april! It might be nice to try them with a short winter break at a reliably snowy time.

Anyway good luck! It's nice to go away with them and ours have all really enjoyed the experience.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 2-04-13 11:02; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would've said somewhere like Les Gets, Samoens, etc. Certainly good for things like snow-shoeing, and Les Gets slope at top of gondola is possibly one of the world's easiest wide open blue runs.

You mention xmas though... neither are the most reliable for snow at that time - although I've arrived with Les Gets all nice and green the week after new year, but still managed a full 6 days on the slopes. But then I've also had deeper than knee deep powder the same week in the previous year.

edit: and sub-1hr transfers from GVA are a bonus compared to Tignes etc.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andy wrote:
Would've said somewhere like Les Gets, Samoens, etc. Certainly good for things like snow-shoeing, and Les Gets slope at top of gondola is possibly one of the world's easiest wide open blue runs.

You mention xmas though... neither are the most reliable for snow at that time - although I've arrived with Les Gets all nice and green the week after new year, but still managed a full 6 days on the slopes. But then I've also had deeper than knee deep powder the same week in the previous year.

edit: and sub-1hr transfers from GVA are a bonus compared to Tignes etc.

Xmas was just a sideways gripe about my sister. We're thinking this season, but if we don't get sorted this time, any time next season.

Never been to either, so will add to the list to research. Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
firebug wrote:
Not really. Well, there are the two greens at Flegere but I don't think I'd recommend it at all, honestly. How about somewhere that has some easy cross country tracks? Les Contamines? Or snowshoeing, like you say, which might be a better option.

The problem is that not many places have the charm for them to enjoy themselves anyway as well as late season snow that is accessible for xc or easy downhill. High altitude places tend to be a bit modern by definition.
Snowshoeing might be a bit easier and much less risky.

(edit - you can just go do it, and that might be an option for them, depending on the state of the tracks. There's a lot to be said for going out with a guide though, partly for safety and partly to get to some really beautiful spots)

Another place to consider might be Samoens? Or even some of the ritzier places like St Moritz or Cortina d'Ampezzo?

I suppose...well, I can only give you my own experience, and everyone's family is different for sure! But they might just be quite happy to be away with you, enjoying nice lunches, fun atmosphere etc rather than trying to get them to learn to ski as well. My older relatives have really enjoyed Chamonix, but even when they were more active, just the exhilaration of mountains, railways, lifts, views, the odd walk etc was really quite enough for them. Also a week might be quite a big commitment for the first time...maybe a long weekend that could be combined with a city break for them, even?

edit - one more thing to bear in mind...again depending on their own preferences...late season is nice because it's quiet and a bit warmer. But you can also miss out on the beauty of thick snow - certainly Chamonix can be looking pretty tatty by mid-april! It might be nice to try them with a short winter break at a reliably snowy time.

Anyway good luck! It's nice to go away with them and ours have all really enjoyed the experience.

My ancients are young for their age, if that makes sense. In comparison to my grandparents at that age, they're 20 years younger. Which is nice. Happy
Doesn't have to be 'old fashioned' - if modern, so long as not hideous.

Samoens seems to have a couple of votes ... *forms list*
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OliviaDB, Megeve is charming as a resort/village/ski/walk etc--I've been going there for past 18 years and sometimes with non-skiing friends, who can meet up with you at mountain restaurants. My late partner learned to ski there at age 58; there are plenty of blues and greens to build confidence. I've never tried snow-shoeing, but some local friends of mine do it regularly in guided groups at the end of season times.Your parents would love it! Very Happy
ps and Chamonix is only a half hour bus ride away--if you want to do a day trip there!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Both times I've been to Kitzbühel, the parents of one of my ski buddies have been there too. They are sadly too old to ski but they love the town, the ambience, walks, shops, lunch in mountain huts, views, etc. I'd have said a sizeable thriving town like this is perfect for non skiers rather than a ski station which is all but dead during the day when everyone is out skiing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We went to Saariselka (Finland/Lapland) and my kids learnt to ski on the 'fells'. The slopes are lovely and wide, good for begginers - if you are a good skier you may find it a bit limiting though.

I only suggest this though because of all the other activites we did - skidooing (sp)? husky sledge rides, reindeer sleighs and as we went just before Christmas we did pop in to visit Santa.

Best of all we saw the northern lights! We stayed in a log cabin a little walk from the hotels (on bus route to slopes, but still easily walkable).

It is COLD there though in December, but not a problem if you dress accordingly. The plus of it being so cold is that the moisture in the air seemed to freeze and with it being dusk so much it was like walking through a snow globe all the time - beautiful!!!! I am sure it would be warmer if you went in March / April though.

Happy holiday hunting, hope you sort somewhere suitable.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Samoens seems to have a couple of votes ... *forms list*

If you need non-ski activity suggestions there, then I suggest contacting Adamantis. Photos look rather scenic.

My memory is a bit rusty now, but I think the ski bit you access via Morrillon, but can ski back down Casades to Samoens. Don't remember a lift up from there. Shame it's not, and probably never will be, linked with Les Gets.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have a look at Colletts in the Dolomites - catered chalets with guided skiing, but also guided snowshoeing and walking, or if your parents prefer to do their own thing, lots of info to organise your own walks etc. We are booked to go next season for the first time with Colletts, but there has been lots of favourable stuff on here about them, and the Dolomites - very scenic, also lots of World War history type sites and I think there is plenty of relatively easy skiing if they did decide to give that a go.

Failing that, how about the Jungfrau region of Switzerland - lots of skiing, but also walking and tobogganing, fantastic scenery and trains which go up the mountain so ideal for non skiers meeting up during the day with skiers. We were there at halfterm and did a great mix of activities.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kitzbuhel or any of the Town resorts in Austria. Or Switzerland - Crans Montana maybe, can use the train there, much more cosy than France for non skiers. Maybe they would like to do Cross Country skiing which I understand is quite easy to learn. Snow shoeing isn't difficult, you don't need lessons but some places offer guided snowshoeing walks which are quite a sociable and fun activity. Most resorts do some sort of activities for non skiers.

Take the parents to a fridge for some lessons before you book, make sure they know what they are letting themselves in for and get them used to the amount of effort involved. Instruction in English English is helpful (rather than pidgin).

My parents don't cope that well with altitude now (they are 79) so they no longer come with us to Les Arcs (we live at 1800 and ski high above that). They prefer lower resorts. They like nice shops, a swimming pool, cafes, and a bit of apres like a tyrolean evening with a meal, or a sleigh ride.. These things are often found in Austria and hardly ever in France.
I would go in mid March when the snow is still OK and the sun is out.
Tobogganing? Now that is much more dangerous than anything on skis IMO!
Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kitzbuehel is a good idea, depending on how late you're thinking (would have to be in the next couple of weeks). You could also consider Neustift, plenty of skiing up on the Stubai glacier for you, Innsbruck closeby (simple bus ride) for your parents, fantastic wellness facilities (sauna/spa/etc - and food for that!) in the Sport Hotel. If you like the spa idea, take a look at the Aquadome in Langenfeld (Oetztal) - incredible spa/wellness, glacier skiing nearby (with free shuttles), and I believe they organise snowshoeing/walking/other non-ski activities too.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mm - considering short notice, I think this will be planning for next season ... still, ifI plan now, less hassle then, and they'll have fewer excuses. Happy

All suggestions being considered, so keep thoughts coming (etc.)

Thank you
snow report
OliviaDB, I did snow-shoeing this year & loved it. My friend & I went with a guide first & he showed us how to wear the racquettes - they have 3 settings - fixed, flapping or what became known as stillettos. Coming downhill in deep powder, you had to adopt a sort of telemarking step - but easily picked up & terrific fun. I would say that if they are reasonably fit & can hill walk ok, then they will pick it up easily & really enjoy it. I was in Plan Peisey (Les Arcs), & there were daily organised walks for people who wanted to join them, or they could just go - which is what I mostly did. The other people on the organised walks were all french, which gave me a good opportunity to practice my dodgy french - & your parents might enjoy that if they speak a bit of french too. It's a lovely area for walking & there is the Nordic centre too down in Nancroix if they felt like doing a bit of cross-country, husky sledging or pony traps.
ski holidays
OliviaDB, Firebug is forgetting the 2 slopes that abut Chamonix town itself, both can be walked to from the town centre and both would have snow cover at Xmas - Savoy is for absolute beginners, almost flat, very 'uncham', in fact CH2O told me he'd played cricket on it in the summer . . . plus Plannards which is a teeny bit more of a slope. Both of these would constitute 'Easy' in any resort I think. +1 for Cham as a great place for non-skiers, in fact it's much better for non-skiers, cross country skiers, snowshoers and walkers than it is for cautious intermediates. Or, why not get your rentals into X country skiing rather than alpine?
latest report
+1 for Megeve.

For non skiers, there are alpine walks threaded throughout the ski area itself. No snow shoeing or whatsoever required. In fact, I can recommend the place we stayed at, which is also very, VERY affordable, and in terms of 'mountain' experience, it can't be beat. Staying there was magical.

We were there with people that didn't ski, and they loved the walks through the snow, and the village itself is unarguably the MOST charming of all alpine villages.
snow report
Yes, Megeve would be ideal.
ski holidays
genepi wrote:
OliviaDB, I did snow-shoeing this year & loved it. My friend & I went with a guide first & he showed us how to wear the racquettes - they have 3 settings - fixed, flapping or what became known as stillettos. Coming downhill in deep powder, you had to adopt a sort of telemarking step - but easily picked up & terrific fun. I would say that if they are reasonably fit & can hill walk ok, then they will pick it up easily & really enjoy it. I was in Plan Peisey (Les Arcs), & there were daily organised walks for people who wanted to join them, or they could just go - which is what I mostly did. The other people on the organised walks were all french, which gave me a good opportunity to practice my dodgy french - & your parents might enjoy that if they speak a bit of french too. It's a lovely area for walking & there is the Nordic centre too down in Nancroix if they felt like doing a bit of cross-country, husky sledging or pony traps.

That sounds brilliant. Happy
snow report
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
+1 for Megeve.

For non skiers, there are alpine walks threaded throughout the ski area itself. No snow shoeing or whatsoever required. In fact, I can recommend the place we stayed at, which is also very, VERY affordable, and in terms of 'mountain' experience, it can't be beat. Staying there was magical.

We were there with people that didn't ski, and they loved the walks through the snow, and the village itself is unarguably the MOST charming of all alpine villages.

Sounds great. I've put it to the sibling ... now to wait and see if she'll overrule me and demand elsewhere. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy