Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why is Eurotunnel so totally unreliable?

Poster: A snowHead
Airlines & ferries generally can blame a third party (air traffic control, etc) or external event (e.g. weather) for foul ups. Eurotunnel seem fully capable of screwing things up on a regular basis without any external help. Thursday: delays of one hour because of technical problems, ditto Friday, Saturday (when I travelled), was told to expect continued delays of one hour...in fact was two. This is from an outfit that claims "We are the fastest cross-channel operator, with a crossing time of just 35 minutes, so you arrive on the Continent quicker than you think.. Not in my experience....

And the UK terminal customer experience is reminiscent of the worst of 1970s style motorway services, with 20 minutes wait for a coffee, 30 for breakfast, totally unable to cope with the backlog of passengers caused by the ineptitude of those supposed to be running the trains. I had naively believed that it was worth paying a premium for a faster, more reliable service. Here's hoping for better things for the return trip next weekend, but I'm not holding my breath.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We crossed back to the UK yesterday, we got an earlier train than the one we booked and cleared UK passport control in a couple of minutes at most. We've only ever had one major delay in 7 years, when we were transferred to the ferry. Why not have breakfast before you arrive at the terminal or get bacon roll from the snack van on the boarding area? It's lousy in the terminal anyway and overpriced.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Simply because it aint ran by the Germans or Swiss. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Julian T, easter weekend, lots of people guess you got unlucky... only had one delay to speak of in all the time i have used it too
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Julian T, Never had an issue using it normally we are late/early for our train as we drive from hollyhead and we always get looked after.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Because there was no technical reason why it couldn't have been a drive-through road tunnel, but they just couldn't stop themselves wanting to be "in control" and hence try to scalp the punters the way the ferry cartel had for decades. Unfortunately for them, the internet and SpeedFerries killed off the cartel just as they got going, so they're now saddled with a ridiculously expensive high-maintenance system to run on far less than projected revenues. It would be very efficient and profitable (and much more secure) if it were drive-through. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

easter weekend, lots of people guess you got unlucky... only had one delay to speak of in all the time i have used it too

my experience too, and I use it at least four times a year.

Quote:

It would be very efficient and profitable (and much more secure) if it were drive-through

secure like the Mont Blanc tunnel, that is? Skullie
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Julian T, I think you've been unlucky. We use it for return trips 4-5 times a year & haven't yet had a problem. I would, however, only use the terminal for loos, as it always looks chaotic in there.

shep, I would be terrified of driving through it Skullie
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and the trains go very fast. Road traffic would have to be very spaced out (like in the Mont Blanc and other alpine tunnels) AND very strictly speed limited.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
shep wrote:
Because there was no technical reason why it couldn't have been a drive-through road tunnel, but they just couldn't stop themselves wanting to be "in control" and hence try to scalp the punters the way the ferry cartel had for decades. Unfortunately for them, the internet and SpeedFerries killed off the cartel just as they got going, so they're now saddled with a ridiculously expensive high-maintenance system to run on far less than projected revenues. It would be very efficient and profitable (and much more secure) if it were drive-through. rolling eyes

One technical reason was related to pollution, and having to exchange the exhaust fumes for clean air. The trains are electric and don't have that issue.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
feef, I suspect that would be a pretty big technical reason , the old Tyne Tunnel is horrendous at times, and that is only very short.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Drove through the A86 West tunnel under Paris during the summer. That's a 10km dual deck tunnel with a 2 meter roof height and it quickly becomes hypnotic and claustrophobic as you drive along.
http://youtube.com/v/STstpyGg0i8

I have to agree with Julian T, when it goes wrong it goes wrong big time and while it may be a quick crossing there a lot of faffing around before you get on the train so I prefer the slower but consistent ferries
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmm yes I can see the pollution problems... I believe longer road-tunnels do now exist, in Japan? The rail infrastructure investment would have gone a long way towards engineering it completely differently, but I'm not suggesting it is possible to drive through what's been built! I do think their projections went up the spout when the ferry companies all had to start competing on the "budget airline" online pricing model. Hey ho, it's better to have it than not Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I go to France on business I use the Tunnel. When it does occasionally go wrong the problem is that the waiting area is one of the worst places to spend some time. If you are in a rush and the timing goes well it is very good though.

When I go to France for pleasure I always take the Ferry, go straight to the decent restaurant and spend the whole crossing having a very good meal. It doesn't add a huge amount of time to the journey either.

Use the tunnel 6 or 7 times a year and the ferry about the same.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

while it may be a quick crossing there a lot of faffing around before you get on the train

sometimes, possibly, but I am often on a train within 35 minutes of driving off the motorway. I have only once, in ten years, taken longer to get through the tunnel than a ferry would take, and that was the day after the London bombings, with heaps of extra security. And when driving back I often have a 20 minute kip on the train - just enough to get me round the M25 and down the A3 home.

Plus all my crossings for the last ten years have been free with Tesco vouchers.

But I'm lucky that I can always avoid peak times.
ski holidays
I was on a Eurostar on 11 Feb, returning to London in the evening, which was stuck for over an hour because of a broken-down shuttle train stuck in the tunnel.

I wonder how often Eurostar is affected like this?
latest report
Eurostar stuck for an hour is still quicker than a ferry. wink
snow report
I think if you avoid high volume weekends you can probably avoid hold ups as they have enough spare capacity to manage any blips in their operation - when they are operating at capacity a minor problem causes big knock on delays (Much the same as any other mode of transport)
I almost expect to have a mare on a busy weekend.... Equally I expect to equally turn up and be rebooked when travelling outside peak days
snow report
Came through today having booked the last over height space available this afternoon, train was 3 mins late leaving, no delays anywhere, did't need to go into terminal either.
To give some perspective to some of the delays, one delay we were involved in was when we were the third car back from the front of the train and the first car wouldn't start, the tw@t of a driver refused our offer to push the car off the train and insisted on waiting for the Eurotunnel breakdown truck! So that train already 10 mins late was another 20 mins delayed waiting for the tow truck. So that was 30 mins late before unloading could begin.....Easy to see how that could then end up being another hours delay, added to which there are 'slots' as in airport runway slots so once a slot is missed a shuttle has to wait for another vacant slot to get into the tunnel.
snow conditions
pam w, rarerly have to go into the terminal for more than a toilet stop then straight to boarding area.
ski holidays
We have had a couple of delays with the tunnel - each time they have paid for a ferry and given us a free crossing - I think we are fairly unusual in that we tend to prefer the ferry but then nowadays we have lots of time unlike years ago finishing work on a Friday, piling the kids into the car, big bag of food each + tapes (yes, tapes in those days), ferry, drive all night to Austria and then ski sometime that day.

Now we meander down to our own chalet, car loaded for a few weeks, - but the perfect journey for me is to take the tunnel on the way out, and the ferry on the way back. Tunnel gets us there faster - ferry is good to have a meal and relax after 8 hours drive before the misery of the motorway home.
snow report
Pamski, after a couple of bad experiences of food on the ferry (brasseries closed, still serving breakfast at 1.15 etc etc), we've decided to stick to the tunnel. We still do the lunch thing but at Le Calice in Calais. Very traditional brasserie, and great food. Despite a crossing two hours later than usual we were only 45 minutes later arriving home.
ski holidays
Quote:

Pamski, after a couple of bad experiences of food on the ferry (brasseries closed, still serving breakfast at 1.15 etc etc), we've decided to stick to the tunnel. We still do the lunch thing but at Le Calice in Calais. Very traditional brasserie, and great food. Despite a crossing two hours later than usual we were only 45 minutes later arriving home.

Hells Bells does use a first class travel company however. The driver is very reliable, rarely gets lost, and would give Jason Stratham a run for his money Smile
snow report
Quote:

Eurostar stuck for an hour is still quicker than a ferry.

depends if you're in a rush.

typically my journeys are 6 hours(ish) followed by ferry then an hour (or the reverse), as a sole driver. Since we don't have the tesco vouchers here, Eurotunnel prices are extortion in comparison to the ferry (maybe if you book months and months in advance there are cheaper prices?). So I'm more than happy to spend 60-100max booked last minute and have an hour break than spend 180+ and be in a rush, with no time to stretch legs. OK tunnel on the return journey might make sense.

Only been on the tunnel once, and no clue if that was on time, since it was in the period before the service opened to the public (just press, travel industry, etc.)

If someone knows how I can get sub £100 eurotunnel return fares booked maybe 2 weeks prior, without cashing tesco's vouchers, then please do let me know.
ski holidays
We use the tunnel three or four times a year. Only had two frustrating delays, one caused by a train fault (two hour delay) and one caused by long queues for UK Border Control at Calais (about 60 minutes). Other than that it's been pretty much plain sailing, if you excuse the pun. Although there isn't a huge time difference between tunnel and ferry, the shorter journey time with Eurotunnel means I can leave home at a not unreasonable hour in the morning and arrive in Bourg St Maurice at 6.30pm in time to do some grocery shopping and then get to Les Arcs at a reasonable hour. The extra crossing time with the ferry is just enough to make it an unpleasantly long day.
snow conditions
We went on the tunnel once - us 2, 2 young kids, 2 grandparents going to Disneyland Paris all crammed into a car. We drove onto the train and stayed there, trapped for 4 hrs. They wouldn't let us off and communication was appalling. Passengers were threatening violence and all sorts. It was all down to a problem in the tunnel.
I will never understand why they didn't unload us all, but they didn't. Some had missed meetings and quite a few didn't want to travel, but they were adamant the train would not be unloaded. Eventually someone threatened to called the police and say they were being held hostage and the train was unloaded, we went up the exit ramp from the platforms and those that wanted to travel turned right and came back down to the train, others turned left and escaped.

The absence of management was a disgrace and although we got a free crossing I gave it to a mate and have not traveled on it since.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

The absence of management was a disgrace and although we got a free crossing I gave it to a mate and have not traveled on it since.

This is the problem, and the fact its on rails, nothing on rails works properly here.
ski holidays
We were there on Thursday night/ friday morning - it was the first time we have ever been delayed on Eurotunnel. Here are some reasons why I think they are not poo-poo:

1) there were signs ALL OVER THE SODDING PLACE apologising and pointing out the reason for the delay with an estimate of how long we were delayed. Granted no one tapped on my window to tell me personally but I was able to use my eyes to get over this issue.

2) No queues at cafe and quite alot open when we were there at 12am-2am, also not needed as I had packed sandwiches. (rule 1 of long distance driving - NEVER be at the mercy of roadside food peddlers)

3) parking was a pita but I think this is down to IDIOTS trying to go to the boarding area before they had been called then kicking off when they were turned back around into the car park, we still managed it in about 10-20mins from check in.

4) you don't have to mingle with the great unwashed if you don't want to. This can never be a bad thing.

5) journey home was as per the norm - straight drive up and save for a quick loo stop, onto the train home.

The last time I got on a ferry it was like the bowels of hell, full of people wearing chavsuits, drinking cheap lager and kids running about in nappies and vests. Give me the eurotunnel any day - saves 2 hours of unpleasantness.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

rule 1 of long distance driving - NEVER be at the mercy of roadside food peddlers)

^ this !!!
latest report
Quote:

Because there was no technical reason

Well no, but lots of economic ones; the tunnels would have to be much larger for the same volume of traffic and as a consequence the tolls will be much greater. Then you have the problem of the train from Paris to London, would you have people getting off the train to waiting coaches? And of course with the freight you would need a train line anyway.

Personally I have been delayed at the tunnel for more than an hour on about a quarter of the crossing, usually in the middle of the night when I suspect they just cancel crossings to consolidate the load and hence run full shuttles. On one occasion we waited for 2:30 hours and the only notification was a sign saying the departure was delayed "for operational reasons" with no indication as to when it may actually run. Still I use the tunnel, but sort of expect to be delayed by an hour so always add an extra hour onto the supposed crossing time.
latest report
Sadly the Chunnel is the lesser of evils as far as I am concerned, living in the north its far easier to go with the P&O Hull-Rotterdam bit its so expensive we usually go via the Chunnel. we've generally had decent service on the crossing, however the terminal is a nightmare, full of chavs & scroates, the WC's are filthy and bins overflowing with rubbish, try to keep out of there at all costs and we just see it as a PITA but one worth enduring. The holiday starts as soon as we hit German tarmac, I really enjoy the drive apart from northern French and Belgian roads if its snowing, once in Germany its happy days.
ski holidays
It must be the time of day that we usually cross, but the terminal is usually very quiet if we have to have a comfort stop.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, same here
snow report
From Wikipedia:

"Thatcher said she had no objection to a privately funded project. In 1981 British and French leaders Margaret Thatcher and François Mitterrand agreed to set up a working group to look into a privately funded project, and in April 1985 promoters were formally invited to submit scheme proposals. Four submissions were shortlisted:

a rail proposal based on the 1975 scheme presented by Channel Tunnel Group/France–Manche (CTG/F–M),
Eurobridge: a 4.5 km (2.8 mi) span suspension bridge with a roadway in an enclosed tube
Euroroute: a 21 km (13 mi) tunnel between artificial islands approached by bridges, and
Channel Expressway: large diameter road tunnels with mid-channel ventilation towers.[10]

[10] Public opinion strongly favoured a drive-through tunnel, but ventilation issues, concerns about accident management, and fear of driver mesmerisation led to the only shortlisted rail submission, CTG/F-M, being awarded the project.[10]"

Guess I should have done that search before I posted Cool
snow conditions
After about 4 years on the trot of being delayed on the ferries due to bad weather we swapped to the tunnel about 12 years ago as it was only about £20 more expensive, would never go back to the ferry. We have children with us, so enjoying a meal on the ferry is not possible.
latest report
Quote:

The last time I got on a ferry it was like the bowels of hell, full of people wearing chavsuits, drinking cheap lager and kids running about in nappies and vests

Laughing several times I've used the tunnel recently it's been blowing a hoolie so you could add vomit to that mix.

Quote:

We have children with us, so enjoying a meal on the ferry is not possible.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

as it was only about £20 more expensive

I really wish that was the case when I book my tickets. £120 extra is closer.
ski holidays
andy, do you book at the very last minute?
ski holidays
Hells Bells, one of my friends is a cartoon tight Yorkshireman. He once didn't bother to book in advance and just turned up hopefully at Eurotunnel. Nearly had apoplexy when he had to cough up a lot of money. Laughing He won't make that mistake again - but he can laugh about it now.

Given that it's so infinitely flexible there's no argument for not booking well in advance.
snow conditions
We booked on the 23rd for travel over the Easter bank holiday and it was £120 return.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy