Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pimping my services: Free ski hosting in Courchevel/Meribel next week

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be in La Tania next week on my own. Whilst I'm happy in my own company I also get bored with skiing on my own and I enjoy ski hosting so if anyone wants ski hosting out of LT/Courchevel/Meribel I'd be happy to show you around. I'm a bit broke so my only request is that you buy me lunch/après beer in return and you're not a rank amateur. If you're an intermediate and you want technique tips I can help you with that, too (but if you want a proper private lesson you'll have to PM me). Moderate off-piste leading no issue.

Me: Advanced/expert skier, male, 45, relatively unfit, ex-BASI, Avi kit, 50+ weeks in the 3V's including 2 seasons (1 ski hosting), don't need a piste map, know several itineries, Escapade in a day no problem, can handle the Gendarmerie, can talk b*llocks about skiing for as long as you can tolerate, can give technique tips to those with a thick skin (or nice touchy-feely lessons to those who pay me wink ), will try not to sulk if you're quicker than me (but I'll get you back!)

PM me - I'll show you a good time Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 29-03-13 15:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did you say you were driving down? Are you offering accommodation?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
2weird2die, I'm driving down Friday (29th) night/Saturday day to my apartment in La Tania, followed by a week in Val Thorens. Could offer accommodation in return for transport and beer if you're not an axe-murderer. Bruges pick-up's possible. PM me a phone number and let's see what we can sort out?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Raceplate wrote:
ex-BASI

Can you be ex-BASI Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stewart woodward, I didn't renew my BASI membership/licence last season. I'm pretty sure that makes me an ex member.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Raceplate, you can check out any time you like but you can never leave... (cue guitar solo)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller wrote:
Raceplate, you can check out any time you like but you can never leave... (cue guitar solo)

http://youtube.com/v/U8k8st337w0
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, Bode Swiller, if I could ski like he plays guitar I'd pay my subs... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Raceplate wrote:
If you're an intermediate and you want technique tips I can help you with that, too (but if you want a proper private lesson you'll have to PM me). Moderate off-piste leading no issue.

You may wish to be slightly careful about making statements like that on a public forum, particularly when you put 'free' in between apostrophes...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Raceplate, It's a bit too late to get this sorted at my end. Was looking at 6th-13th April. Have a good trip! Can you email me your contact details as I would be interested in this in the future.
uploadzone (at) hot mail (dot) com
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
offpisteskiing, yeah, I was waiting for some naysayer to pick up on that. I was just trying to be straight with people and hopefully a little humourous. Maybe I'll remove the apostrophes.

I don't see any issue with it - there's no contract, no money changing hands, we'd just be mates out skiing together whilst on holiday from the UK. I think I'm right in saying that under French law, the most experienced skier is always responsible for the group anyway so that would usually be me whatever the circumstances. When I take my nephew and his mates skiing I give them tips and exercises to do, and lead them off piste in easy places I would happily ski on my own without Avi kit. When I've stayed in chalets on my own I've often ended up leading the other occupants on an 'away day'. They buy me beer in gratitude. What's the difference?

When I did a season as a ski host I pretty much always got bought lunch (or it was free from the restaurant if it was a large group) and I got some great tips too. Given that 90% of Courchevel ski hostees want to go to Val Thorens for the day, I just don't want to recommend somewhere in a far away valley and then end up with a €20 bill when I could have gone back to my apartment in LT for nothing.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Raceplate,
My reading of your original post basically goes:
" free ski guiding in return for beer " (arguably fair enough, no worries)
" happy to give some tech tips " (possibly straying towards slightly more dodgy ground as there is payment in kind mentioned)
" available for private lessons but pm me" (best not talk about it in public coz it ain't going to be legit, definitely getting into murky waters here)

Combine this with someone recommending to get in touch with you on a thread asking about instructors in Courchevel and you can see how one might take a certain view on it.

PS I'm off to Norway for 2 weeks so don't really give a monkeys!

PPS Interested to know your top tips for 'handling the Gendarmes' (or DJSS inspectors) - you could create a good niche market for yourself offering that training to TOs Very Happy

PPS Have a great week... loads of snow in the 3V at the moment...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Norway! Cool! Haven't been there.

offpisteskiing wrote:

Combine this with someone recommending to get in touch with you on a thread asking about instructors in Courchevel and you can see how one might take a certain view on it.

Hadn't seen that! But I did see the original request and wasn't interested. There's no way I'd teach a low level group of strangers, that's seriously asking for trouble! It would be way too obvious (and boring, I'm on holiday too!)

The reason I said PM me is that I sometimes do 1-on-1 'lessons' as a way to keep my hand in and experiment with what gets results. I don't charge for it because I view it as practice and it gives me a kick if I can transform someone's skiing confidence in a couple of hours. If the victim decides to give me a decent tip at the end that's up to them. Nothing illegal there. I've been watching franzclammer's trials and tribulations on here and was thinking of offering to teach him for an afternoon just for a bit of fun but I see he's coughed up to Marmalade now. Don't think I want him to compare my teaching prowess with an ISTD's!

Quote:

PPS Interested to know your top tips for 'handling the Gendarmes' (or DJSS inspectors) - you could create a good niche market for yourself offering that training to TOs Very Happy

Yes, indeed! The best tip is don't get caught wink

Quote:

PPS Have a great week... loads of snow in the 3V at the moment...

Cheers, you too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raceplate, great attitude......would be great to ski in 3V sometime, been years since I was there but if I come back will look you up, my mates and I would need to look out some couloirs and fresh lines and local knowledge is always welcomed. Have fun.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB, great guitarist, bending those strings just brill
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:

The reason I said PM me is that I sometimes do 1-on-1 'lessons' as a way to keep my hand in and experiment with what gets results. I don't charge for it because I view it as practice and it gives me a kick if I can transform someone's skiing confidence in a couple of hours. If the victim decides to give me a decent tip at the end that's up to them. Nothing illegal there. .

I can't see a problem with this, and did something similar myself with a nervous friend, presumably as no money passes hands it's ok????
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy