Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I think I'm going to have to up my game soon....

Poster: A snowHead
At the age of 6 my son is flying, I can see by aged 10 I will be left in his wake.
I don't like the idea of feeling old!

http://youtube.com/v/ZTgZnBecak8
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Impressive. How many weeks on snow?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chattonmill, you reckon you'll be able to keep up with him for another 4 years!! that's what I call optimism.

But what a horribly crowded piste and lift. wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
He's been skiing since he was 2, the last couple of years he has had at least 3 weeks.
So plenty of skiing, he'll make me look like an amateur soon!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w,Megeve yesterday, not a soul around!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I knew he was a little speed demon! Looking great out there! Love to family!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What a natural! He's really got carving nailed already.

Conditions look lovely as well, and nobody about.

Best get some rocket fuel down you Chattonmill!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chattonmill, you are toast mate. Great to watch.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Get him on a snowboard quick, so that you can keep up with him!

For the first couple of days.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chattonmill, are you sure that was Megeve? Yet again somebody on another thread has asserted that "France" is horribly crowded, overpriced and full of Russians. Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sH's collective anti-Russian stance really grinds my balls.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chattonmill, Keeping up with him for another 4 years????? Puzzled I think you had better contact the British downhill racing team - if you can still keep up with him in another 4 years then you've clearly missed your calling. I think the term 'not a hope in hell' springs to mind if he's anything like my pair who started skiing at the age of 3 and are now 10 and 13 yrs. Esp. if yours is getting 3 weeks on snow each year!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The term "closing the stable door after the horse has bolted" springs to mind. Very nice skiing for someone so young, who said the Brits were all tackle and no talent ? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee, he was asking after you yesterday, perhaps you need to come back out....
Thanks to all for the kind comments, thank god he can't concentrate otherwise I may be toast already!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Driving out tomorrow for a long weekend Chattonmill, are you in Les Gets for Easter?
snow report
Skiing seems to be one of those things where starting young makes a real difference, the first thing a ski instructor said when he saw me ski was that he was sure I learned young - I was on skis at about 4. I like skiing with my dad but I have to be very concious that he started skiing late in life and not to push him to ski anything outside his ability. Enjoy seeing their skill develop and that you have given the opportunity for them to learn young just don't try and follow them down stupid lines...
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, yes, am here for another week, come and have a drink or ski. Would be great to see you.
narc, I learnt at 4 as well I have couple of seasons under my belt as well as 36 years on skis, I still take the view that if it had snow on it it can be skied, I never did have much of a brain!
He will keep me fit and motivated, that is for sure.
ski holidays
Fair play.

Very impressive stamina too.
snow conditions
Chattonmill, you have until about Easter this year before he makes you feel old and inadequate. Nothing as bad as standing at the top of some icy bumps and the kids want you to ski down backwards with a camera so they can impress their friends.
ski holidays
I feel your pain.

Same here with my girls 10 and 11. They've been skiing 4 years now. 21 days this year, 26 last year, and about 14 each the two years before that. I had them in lessons from the get-go. I have to push myself to "kind of" keep up with them.

I wish we knew some people or had a ski group with kids of their age and ability. They ski with friends, but they are much better skiers than all their friends. If you read my trip report on another thread, you will see at one point, me thinking, I'm being the good ski mom, I take them off the top of Mt. Fort in Verbier. I take my time to scope out the hill and the bumps, and carefully make my line in combination with shopping for some turns. Before I'd even started my descent, DD #1 was at the bottom. When I finally reached her (with burning thighs), I said, so that was pretty meaty, huh? She said, mwah, mwah, the hardest part was waiting for you, I don't have that much patience....

But, it's a gift we give our children. I've been skiing since 11 and only regret my parents didn't start me younger (my brother started age 8, which I'm still jealous of). But even through less than good times physically, I could still get out there and make some turns, and enjoy the blue skies, the fresh air, and breath in the beauty and nature. Teaching your kids to ski, is a gift that keeps giving and giving and giving!

Good Luck with that boy of yours though....how to keep him challenged on the mountain now? That's why after a couple years of Megeve, we went over to L4V, the kids needed more blacks and stunts to keep them entertained. I think they are too young to start on serious off piste stuff, that requires common sense and maturity apart from the skill...and that isn't there yet, but L4V ticked many boxes, for us anyway.

Would love to hook with other families who have kids that can ski like that, that would be super fun my girls.
ski holidays
Skills! If he's that way inclined, certainly worth checking out some sort of race or freestyle club..!
latest report
Quote:

Teaching your kids to ski, is a gift that keeps giving and giving and giving!

Laughing I'll say. You have to keep paying for them even when they are grownup, especially when they have kids. I will have 3 offspring and five grandchildren skiing here this coming week. My offspring are paying quite a lot, but not everything!! My contributions include transfer driving and child-care!
snow conditions
Hey pam w, What great family memories!

I hope to be following in your footsteps one day... Yes it costs money, time, and energy, but oh so worth it! I guess there isn't anything you'd rather be doing.

It's not like were going to get to the end of our lives and say "Darn, wish I would have worked one more day."
snow conditions
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
I think they are too young to start on serious off piste stuff, that requires common sense and maturity apart from the skill...and that isn't there yet,

Why? Certainly not a good idea on their own but, even if you and your friends don't ski off piste, they could join beginner off-piste guided groups couldn't they?
snow report
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
I think they are too young to start on serious off piste stuff, that requires common sense and maturity apart from the skill...and that isn't there yet

My other half says that about me but I still go offpiste. snowHead
ski holidays
Not sure about the accepted wisdom that "earlier is better" Puzzled . Certainly if the motivator is absolute technical-level rather than enjoyment it holds true, but there's no reward for just "level" before achieving instructor status or above.

If it's about fun, most of the people I have ever skied with who really love their skiing started as adults, when the full magic of the whole experience can be appreciated. I've met a lot of people who started young and are blasé about their skiing, or bored with it, or gave up as soon as their parents let them/stopped paying! The adult starters will never reach the same level, but if it's about a lifetime of enjoyment I would say be careful what you wish for!

[Of course mini-shep will be starting next season at two and a half Laughing ]
ski holidays
Great little skier. Mucho talented. Enjoy being the proud dad! Get him racing and give him a couple or so years, he'll hang you out to dry! *

*unless you raced too wink

BTW I think the age thing is only true if you did lots and lots of skiing as a kid or you didn't learn until impending greydom or after. If you learn as a youngish adult, focus can get you easily as good as someone who's skied from childhood but not in a focussed manner (even without doing seasons).
snow report
Chattonmill, at least you clearly ski well enough to keep up with him - I assume you were doing the filming? It's when you get in my situation when at 10 and 13 the minimums spend half the holiday waiting for me to catch up that it becomes a problem,
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slikedges, Yes agreed some motivated adult-starters can and will overtake some of those starting as children (esp. holiday skiers) technically. My point was more perhaps it's not necessarily such a great gift in the longer term to start kids young, particularly if they're pushed too hard (nothing wrong with encouraged!) or spoiled. Not a reference to the OP in any way, your lad obviously loves it Very Happy .
latest report
Megamum, that's me videoing, he still has a long way to go before he gets the jump on me, but........the speed he is learning is phenomenal!
He loves it, I am not pushing him, if anything I am trying to hold him back to perfect the basics. A good base and he can do anything, skimp on that and it would be disaster.
shep, part of the reason for buying the chalet was to leave it for him in the future, he already sees it as home.
Hopefully he can then carry on enjoying my passion without any pressure.
If not it is quite a good income stream!
ski holidays
slikedges wrote:
Get him racing and give him a couple or so years, he'll hang you out to dry! *

*unless you raced too wink

Didn't work for me Sad
ski holidays
gatecrasher, I expect him to overtake me upside down,landing backwards crying 'come on dad'!
I think honey on his skis is the only answer.
snow report
Chattonmill, With that much skiing time he will become unstoppable.

Mine have skied since they were about 3, but they have only been able to do holiday skiing 1-2 weeks per year. Despite this at 10 and 13 now I gave up about 3 years ago trying to do anything close to staying with them. They had every certificate they could get from regular ski school and didn't want to ski race. The other option that was suggested to me was to just let them start exploring the whole mountain under supervision which would help to develop their latent balance, and versatility, basically let them ski what they wanted under guidance. So these days, if they put up with plodding around the mountain with me, I treat them to a private instructor between them for a couple of times during the week to go and ski the mountain. I reason that the instructor will know where it is OK to take them, he will take them where he feels they are able (this seems practically anywhere - I showed them SH's piccies about a week ago of some fresh tracks made in deep off piste powder and was informed - 'yeah, we skied that sort of snow with the instructor!!) and be able to coach them if any skills need a tweak. They consistenty return with nothing, but praise from their instructor so they must be OK.

If your son is getting all the skiing that you say I don't think it will be long before you need to let him explore in the same way. My kids got there just by being holiday skiers, if you are lucky enough to have a chalet and therefore loads more skiing for him, he will rapidly reach where my kids got to - just much earlier.
ski holidays
shep, yeah, I have seen kids lose interest though not often, and even incld race kids who burn out and race brats who get bored

gatecrasher, trying to learn to race as an adult or racing as a child?
ski holidays
I would love him to join me exploring the mountain, the only issue would be what to do with Mum!
latest report
Chattonmill, mum? 20 Euro note and the bar selling the best gluwein on the mountain!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 29-03-13 19:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Why is racing so often seen as the holy grail for kids that ski well? I gave mine the option and they picked to explore the mountain. Their instructors have always said that it is a perfectly valid thing for them to do and will develop their skiing in all sorts of ways. I can see why that would be the case too. It must develop their confidence and associated skills to be able to cope with whatever is thrown at them, and must tick the box for character building to be shunted out of their comfort zone every now and again (assuming that happens - they are pretty good)
snow report
slikedges, learning to race as an adult, yeah yeah I know...the first and biggest hurdle to get over is the fear factor for most of us oldies, I concur with the kids burn out/bored bit, mine went from training 2-3 times a week to... not wanting to ski at all, actually I asked her if she wanted to come down to our local slope with me tonight for a free ski? Answer...nope! rolling eyes Confused
latest report
A guy at work was telling me how his son was in a child's ski group. They were all Austrian locals. One child of 4 who's father worked for the mountain rescue (had a mountain rescue jacket on) was an exceptional skier for his age. The children set off and were told by the ski instructor to follow each other down in a line, the 4 year old was at the back. The pace was too slow for him and he overtook everyone. The instructor had a word with the 4 year old saying he had to keep in line at which point the child picked up his skis and said he'd had enough and was going home. Laughing
snow report
Chattonmill, Excellent, he and mini-shep will grow up as neighbours! I was hoping to stay in front until she's into double figures, but if she has any aptitude, being an older dad and younger child your clip makes me realize I may be deluding myself snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy