Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best late season resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Planning to go mid april for a wkd, was wondering which resorts are the best for that time of yr?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Impression I am getting is the year any where that is open will be great as the snow has been good. We are going to Belle Plagne flying out on the 14th April and judging by conditions reports on here and webcams is should be great. We should have been going to St Anton but got changed but that is looking it should be equally great.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Val Thorens
Tignes/Val D'Isere
Verbier
Chamonix

Although this year lots of others will be in great condition still
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obertauern, Austria
Kaprun, Austria
Hintertux, Austria
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd add places like Les 2 Alpes ,Zermatt, Saas Fee, Ischgl to the list
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pitztal, Obergurgl, Solden, & Hintertux in Austria, in France Val d'Isere a pretty safe bet.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep, this year = pretty much literally anywhere.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Off-piste La Plagne.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tange, .................. Schrocken.

A veritable snow hole with 315cms at 2050m at the mo.

Yup that's @ 2050m. Much better snow depths than resorts with 1000m more vertical.

Resort snow depths at 1200m has 190cms at the moment.

Loadsa OP hardly touched by hoards of punters.

WTF go to France????????????.............. Overpriced, crowded, full of Russians!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think my local has about 300cm at 1800m ish. Also I haven't noticed many Russians, but I did spot a Lithuanian the other day.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So I know it's been a great yr so most resorts should be ok but would still prefer to go somewhere that has a reliable April record purely because two weeks of strong sun can ruin everything. Is it a decent rule of thumb to go to the higher resorts?

Is st Anton usually considered ok in April? Arlberg only goes up to 2800, is that high enough?

Also samoens is supposed to have an excellent snow record but the grand massif is really not that high at all
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My local at 1100m - 2500m this year absolutely PUMPS all over Tignes at the exact same time last year (which is where I was) in terms of snow cover and quality. Forget what you know about 'late season' skiing. Just go wherever tickles your fancy.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Where are you?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many places close after Easter irrespective of snow covereage.
Not sure about France but in Austria many small resorts have shutdown already and I think most resorts close around the 7th April. The weather can also change very quickly, if I was booking now for mid April I'd go for the higher resorts.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I ski at La Clusaz and Le Grand Bornand a lot. You could ski out of my front door in Annecy only a couple of weeks ago. This year's snow is ridiculous, and I was putting down fresh tracks this morning at 1400m.

Most years, go high. This year, go anywhere with a lift.
latest report
DB wrote:
most resorts close around the 7th April

I... the.. what?
snow report
The snow this season is so amazing. I could not believe the coverage in Val/Tignes last week.

I'm so glad I've got one last week to go, it would be a crime not to squeeze in one last cheeky trip in a season as good as this.

I'm going to the eosb in Val Thorens but I'm sure pretty much anywhere will be just fine in mid-April.
latest report
Quote:

pretty much anywhere will be just fine in mid-April.

but DB is right about the need to check closing dates. Useful list here http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/resort-opening-closing-dates.htm

Most French resorts will be open for a while yet. Even Les Saisies will be open until 19 April. Many till later in the month.

Slope aspect becomes more important than altitude - you need a variety.
snow conditions
Quote:

pretty much anywhere will be just fine in mid-April.

but DB is right about the need to check closing dates. Useful list here http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/resort-opening-closing-dates.htm

Most French resorts will be open for a while yet. Even Les Saisies will be open until 19 April. Many till later in the month.

Slope aspect becomes more important than altitude - you need a variety.
latest report
^ indeed, somewhere like Alpe d'Huez suffers late season. Very south-facing.
snow report
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
I ski at La Clusaz and Le Grand Bornand a lot. You could ski out of my front door in Annecy only a couple of weeks ago. This year's snow is ridiculous, and I was putting down fresh tracks this morning at 1400m.

Most years, go high. This year, go anywhere with a lift.

La Clusaz/Gd. Bo. often has better skiing than Val Thorens mid April. Normally I only go somewhere like Val Tho or Tignes when absolutely everywhere else is closed. So if the OP can book the week before they should do so.
latest report
We're going to Belle Plagne on 14 April too (with Esprit); with awesome snow season it would be rude not to fit in another trip.

And if it's a bit warmer the kiddies will still enjoy!
snow report
boardiac, excellent so are we.
latest report
skimastaaah, shhh. Don't spoil the secret.
snow report
I've skied mid-thigh pow in Engelberg, CH in mid-May if that's any help.
latest report
Davos is my April resort of chioce
snow conditions
Go to a high altitude resort: Zermatt, Espace Killy or Val Thorens. Altitude is everything late season because you can get rain or really high temperatures at lower elevations. I was in St. Anton last week. The base was fine and we got fresh snow on 3 of the six days but overall the conditions were just OK and not nearly as good as they look on paper. Temperatures got up to +8 degrees and the snow gets baked by the sun really fast.
latest report
Paradiski is looking amazing for this time of year. If I could sneak another week in, I'd be there.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just booked Chamonix (was offered a chum's apartment - so no accommodation worries!) for 11th-14th.

Even if it's a slushfest, don't care - as long as it's sunny. No in the clouds-zero visibility nightmare that was Portes du Soleil 10 days ago, please...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy