Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

From Snowboarding To Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
slikedges wrote:
thefatcontroller, I'm sorry to have to tell you the position of your experience of learning to board is an outlier Laughing

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=97541

I beg to differ. How long is it since you learn to board or ski?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What does it matter when I learnt to board or ski?* You related your unusual but interesting experience and it's my opinion that you are an outlier. Read the other thread and others on sH. As an (occasional) instructor I can tell you this is also the common opinion of most of my less occasional colleagues. Frankly I think most boarders plateau about week 2, appear quite competent and happily cope off piste. Most skiers plateau after week 8, appear crap and fall about off piste. And that's learning from scratch. Like I've said before doesn't mean the boarders have "mastered" it.

edited to remove impulsive smiley

*Learnt to board I dunno 7-8 years ago? Wildly inexperienced boarder but had no trouble getting around on piste and easy off piste. Still learning to ski after 25 years.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 12-04-13 19:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slikedges, Not necessarily - the population of people who have learnt to board is by definition those that have got over the hump. Those that didn't get over the hump jacked wintersports completely or went back to being narrow minded skiers saying "tried boarding, it was crap" etc. The hump is a big one. It's more than possible on day 3 of picking your bruised carcass off the floor to ask why the hell am I spunking so much money on something so painful? At the same stage a skier will still be pottering around quite nicely, maybe not super fast but not hurting themselves.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, what hump? Most of the boarders I've met have never skied and I don't notice lots of people giving up on boarding 'cos they fall. One of the very first things they're taught is how to fall and they just accept it's part of learning. I guess maybe older people might be put off but that's just being sensible. Most skiers find it much easier than snowsliding noobs.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slikedges, Having spent a season with a few guys who had girlfriends come out to visit and give up after a couple of days, and the odd holiday where new boarders in the chalet have retired hurt after a few days I'm convinced it happens.

I don't disagree with your general characterisation about the plateaux that the average recreational person finds themselves on but I understand whether thefatcontroller is coming from. Until they've developed the finer muscle memory a beginner boarder can go from "this is going alright" to "SLAM" at almost every moment.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, +1

There a lots of talk about 'mastering' skiing or boarding. Who really wants to master either? I bet the vast majority of people going skiing or boarding once a year and just was to have fun and not go home in plaster or on a wheelchair. I bet mastering either is the furthest thing from their mind. Is it easier to look 1/2 good on a board compared to a 1/2 decent skier, yes probably but who gives a poo-poo Toofy Grin

I would encourage anyone who has the time to learn to board.

Can I throw another bomb on the fire. Now that we can board and ski we have noticed one thing.

Skiers are way, way less tolerant of boarders than boarders are of skiers. The looks you get shuffling to a lift if you dare touch a pair of skis on front of you, the look you get trying to exit a lift when a group of skiers have stopped 4 foot from the exit to the lift blocking the whole way etc..I could go on but I think you get the picture. Skiers need to learn to board to broaden their outlook on life and to learn to chill a little. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, well of course they would end up giving up, with their boyfriends teaching them! Toofy Grin When I learnt to board the private ESF instructor I had was (I thought) quite good at adapting his lessons to an experienced skier so got me boarding a blue run in the first session. He didn't however teach me how to fall. I had some more lessons not long after and asked for a run through of what they would have taught a novice and was taught amongst other things how to fall "comfortably", which for the most part you learn yourself after several "uncomfortable" falls, but which I think could have made my first lessons and practise sessions somewhat less physical. I've observed this being taught in all novice boarding lessons in recent times.

thefatcontroller, as someone who can just about do both, I am particularly intolerant of boarders. I'm particularly mean to those I regularly ski with. Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This debate can go on forever - apologies for starting it ... Embarassed

I've decided to take on-board (forgive the pun) some of the advice offered and will book some ski lessons at the Chill Factore this summer.

As the thefatcontroller, as well as others have indicated I'd feel pretty chuffed if I'm able to both ski (to a level where I can confidently come down a blue or a red with our little ones) and board next winter.

Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
franga, THere really is little difference between the essentials of boarding and skiing. As long as you understand the mechanics of edge control and weighting then there is absolutely no problem with doing either as the whim takes you. I even like a snowboard on hard morning cord . . . so much fun to be had trying to get your shoulder down . . . elbow is as far as I've yet got without the inevitable rolling eyes (armour is essential)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowsports suck. Oops, wrong forum!

DB, nice vid! If that was me, I would of slit my wrist with my board after the 3rd attempt Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy