Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel / Val Thorens for 2014, which one to chose from for cruising?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All
We are looking at next years holiday already (25th January 2014) and I think I have made my mind up to try Courchevel and have been looking at the piste maps and reading threads on it. My question is which part of the three Valleys would best suit our needs.

Top prioirty:
Must be cruisy
Must be easy to get around

Would prefer:
Tree lined runs
wide runs

This will be our 5th week skiing as a family with our 2 boys who will be 13 and 15. I would like to look at getting private lessons for the famliy group as we are much at the same level. We are probably early intermediates but much prefer cruising round enjoying the ambiance than anything tricky (well I supposed if the kids had their hands on this thread they would problaby say the opposite lol). Previous places I have been before for lovley cruising areas are les saisies and valmorel. Places I didnt enjoy as much as they didnt really meet the criteria I was expecting were Ellmau and Niederau.

On looking at the piste map it seems that Courchevel 1650 and 1850 look really nice with some nice green/blue runs and also i have read that these are good confidence builders. Or should we be looking to stay at somewhere in the middle of the three valleys? I remember someone who used to go skiing to la tania said it was great but likened it to "skiing on the moon"? Not really sure why. I am also looking at la praz.

Any advice would be welcome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I should preface by saying I'm a skier with similar experience (but a bit more adventure, perhaps) than your family, and the following is my opinion following one week earlier this year in 3V...

Given your requirements, definitely 100% Courchevel, as opposed to VT. VT has little tree cover and (for my money) isn't as "classically" picturesque as Courch, which has more tree-lined runs and is better in adverse weather (we found VT perishingly cold in Feb).

La Tania is lovely, inexpensive, and has three of the best runs in the resort running into it (the blue and red (Bouc Blanc, I think) to the bottom, and above that the black Dou Des Lanches). It is apparently very british, I think a lot of brits who love the 3V but baulk at paying Courch 1850 prices end up there. I think it's a bit easier to get into the heart of Courch/3V's from La Tania than it is from 1650 as well (on the other far side) as you can get over the Meribel or the main part of Courch (IIRC) in two lifts.

La Praz has some nice runs into it but they're mostly tricky reds (I think one of the blacks - Jockeys? - goes into it as well). When we went, early Feb (so similar season to you) we found the La Praz gondola was ludicrously busy when we skied down to it one morning, so I'd say probably give that one a miss unless you get a good deal.

I really like 1650, a lot. Seems a lot quieter than 1850, restaurants/bars are cheaper, and the runs would be what you're after - all the blues and greens are lovely cruisy runs, and when I went this year we found the trio of reds on the far left of the piste map (Chapelets, Rochers and Bel Air) to offer a bit of everything (a fast cruisey red, a bumpy unpisted red, and a powdery unpisted red) all off the same lift, although that might've just been conditions. 1650 is a tiny bit remote in that it's a good 3 or 4 lifts from the town before you can get into the heart of 1850 and over into Meribel.

1850 is nice and central, but uber-expensive even by 3V standards. Some good bargains exist, though - we stayed here http://www.skitotal.com/AccommodationDetails.aspx?accomId=3016 with SkiTotal this year, and the price was OK I'd say for 1850 and a decent enough chalet hotel. The runs above 1850 are generally the busiest as well, we found.

Overall - I'd say La Tania or 1650. Probably a bit more local skiing in 1650, but LaTania is a bit more convenient for the rest of Courch and the 3V. They're both small villages, and fairly quiet. You could also consider staying over in the Meribel side, which is a bit cheaper. But you can't go wrong with La Tania or 1650. Job done snowHead snowHead Laughing

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 28-03-13 13:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As to the "skiing on the moon" quote - no idea either. It's quiet-ish but the bars (especially the very good Ski Pub at the bottom of the main blue piste) will be busy-ish in season. The terrain isn't exactly lunar either - both the blue and the red to the bottom are nice, cruisy, tree-lined runs, ideal for intermediates IMO.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1650 would be more cruisey but hardly any trees apart from Indiens. Haven't stayed there but often end up there for lunch on the piste front or on the street just behind.

Good pistes above 1850 for beginners - bellecote, Verdons etc but maybe a bit tame for your teenagers - family park is good fun though

Stayed in La Tania a few times and you can get ski in/out if you pick the right chalet. Ski Lodge does a brisk trade but nothing much else there of an evening. Blue into it can be great fun when in good nick.

Stayed in Le Praz (with Skivo2) several times now - more of a town than La Tania but still rather quite. The reds and blacks into it can be brilliant but can get tricky in poorer conditions.

Courchevel lift system is among the best i have experienced and rarely queues unless there's a hold up. The reds and blacks of Saulire are not overly difficult. Cruex, a popular easier red, is long and cruisy. Saulire is wide and easy once past the top section. There are some nice blues/reds of the top of Chenus with the lower half in the trees and probably more what you are after.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

The reds and blacks of Saulire are not overly difficult.

Isn't the grand couloir one of the hardest marked runs in europe (supposedly; never done it and assume it's beyond my capabilities).

Quote:

Saulire is wide and easy once past the top section.

I'd have said the top of Saulire (the narrow bumpy bit, there is a wider opening but don't think many people take that) is a proper black. It's ridiculously under-graded as a red IMO. I skied a couple of the small resorts near Zurich this year (Engelberg, Flumserberg) and I'd say about 80% of the Swiss blacks there were easier than doing the top of Combe de Saulire at the end of the day when it's bumpy. You're right about the rest of it, though, it's a nice run.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Courchevel every time, and based on the OP requirements, then La Tania.

Grand Couloir isn't that hard.. My 12 year old can do it, as seen here
http://youtube.com/v/k8JhtMjnKRs Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wot!! No huge moguls on the run in??!! Never seen it flat like that!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ansta1 wrote:

The fact that your (presumably very competent) 12 year old can do it in perfect conditions doesn't really tell the OP whether it's within their capabilities (as relatively timid 5-week skiers); I would presume not, especially in tricky conditions.

How many harder marked runs are there in major european resorts? Probably a few I guess, but can't think of any in 3V off the top of my head...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Felonius_Monk wrote:
ansta1 wrote:

The fact that your (presumably very competent) 12 year old can do it in perfect conditions doesn't really tell the OP whether it's within their capabilities (as relatively timid 5-week skiers); I would presume not, especially in tricky conditions.

How many harder marked runs are there in major european resorts? Probably a few I guess, but can't think of any in 3V off the top of my head...

hence the Twisted Evil emoticon at the end.

I was officially banned by the OH from taking her down it, but she was quite happy for the ESF instructor to do so as in her words "they know the mountain and the competence of their students and are in a much better position to assess Her (and the other childrens) ability and competence to do so.

It is officially one of the hardest marked runs in in europe and is I believe most difficult official piste in the 3v's, and until a few years ago wasn't officially a piste, it's steep can be hellishly mogulled and just the run down the ridge is plain frightening and not something I would recommend to anyone who is in anyway at all unsure of their skill level.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah, OK Blush the sarcasm was lost on me... Sorry about that!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
no problem.... But your right, I actually think the top of the Saulire should probably be rated as a Black, steep, narrow and often boiler plate or Ice ridden. I am of the opinion that it's only rated a Red to increase the perceived accesability of Courchevel from the top of the Saulire and also the reason they have the track around the side to cut out that top section.

Having said that Saulire is one of my favourite red runs in the 3v's along with Creaux and Jerusalem. Conversely a freshly pisted Suisse (Black) isn't anything harder than a red, different when icy or mogulled but pisted it's very Red (again IMHO).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think I can say with complete confidence that the Grand Couloir isn't want the OP is looking for. But yes, there is plenty of cruisy skiing. I would definitely advise in favour of 1650, 1850 or La Tania rather than VT - no trees within miles.

Some private lessons as a family would certainly be well worthwhile, and with a group 4, needn't be too expensive either.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah, agreed about Suisse. Did that and the red near it (is it Marmottes?) this year and they were pretty similar, difficulty-wise (both a bit bumpy but fresh snow and nothing too nasty). Creux is a fantastic run as well (and the other red that runs partially parallel to it, forgot the name).

There are also a few more blacks in Courch (Dou Des Lanches, Jockeys) that are only really "black" at one steepish pitch, and more or less a pleasant red run 90% of the way down (like Saulire, I guess) but I suppose you can say that about piste grading in any resort in the world. I really think that Europe should take up the double-black grading used in America. I think there's more difference in the difficulty of marked blacks in some resorts than any other grade of run - I mean, some are basically no more than red runs, but some would be downright dangerous for early intermediate skiers to be on, and often there's no way of telling those runs apart. Seems like a lot of the Swiss resorts are reclassifying hard blacks which never (or hardly ever) get pisted as itineraries, which I suppose means all bets are off, difficulty-wise. I can get down most blacks no problem but I think I'd be well out of my depth on Grand Couloir or the front of Mont Fort (actually, is that an itineraire now, I can't remember...) in bad conditions, but there'd be no way of knowing that without inside knowledge of the resort.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A lot of answers there, thanks for responding. I can definitley say without shadow of a doubt, that I will not be going on that run that ansta posted. (or would i be letting my kids go down it lol), it looked so frightening especially the first part, what would have happened if on that narrow first section, you tripped and tumbled over the side? has anyone done that?

The refernce that the person had made to skiing in La Tania to skiing on the moon I think was saying because it is just baron with no scenery ie trees etc, well thats the way I picked it up lol.

We tend to look at the piste map and try to stick to blues (well, thats an exaggeration, we stick to blues regardless lol and if there is a red run in the way we (well I mean I snowHead ) will go round the world to avoid it.

Felonius_Monk, thanks for your extensive thoughts, it has really helped. One of the things which is another requirement is that we would like ski in /ski out or be at least less than 50 metres from being able to do so. Ideally somewhere where there is an option of more than one lift or gondola out of the valley onto the runs.

We arent too bothered about night life as we rarely leave the apartment, just so long as there is a place to get provisions. we will be doing diy but wont be hiring a car. If we book private lessons as a family, do they normally come to you? or do you have to go to them? we wont be going at peak time, i always look for the time when the least amount of schools are on holiday and book by that so it is normally the last week in January.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Val Thorens is often described as being like skiing on the moon - maybe that's where the confusion came from? It's an awesome place in the sunshine, but with poor visibility and high winds it can be a bit bleak.

La Tania would be perfect, I agree. Lots of trees. All the apartments there are much of a muchness, relatively reasonably priced and pretty well equipped. You should be ski in-out from just about any of the blocks. There's a little supermarket plus a shop that does excellent prepared meals to take away, plus a few decent restaurants and a couple of bars, including the just-lively-enough-but-not-too-lively Ski Lodge, as mentioned earlier.

The runs into La Tania are excellent. There's only one gondola up but it's got good capacity so you rarely have to wait long.

Loads of good ski schools round there. For private lessons most would come to meet you. I had awesome lessons from Ski Marmalade. They're based in Meribel but would probably be able to sort you out given a bit of notice. They got me to the point where I actively do want to do the Grand Couloir next year, so you never know! wink
snow conditions
Definitely 1650. Loads of lovely cruisey runs, plenty of tree-lined skiing if needed and cheaper than 1850.

VT can be very bleak.

ansta1 wrote:
Courchevel every time, and based on the OP requirements, then La Tania.

The video stopped before the actual couloir, I wanted to watch them going down it! Sad

The kids were all doing really well though, there's no way I'd attempt it, I'd die of fright on the way in!
ski holidays
Quote:

We tend to look at the piste map and try to stick to blues (well, thats an exaggeration, we stick to blues regardless lol and if there is a red run in the way we (well I mean I ) will go round the world to avoid it.

Given this, I'd probably say 1650 might be a bit better than LaTania. Most of the extensive green/blue runs are in the 1850/1650 area, and you can ski between the two areas exclusively on blues. LaTania is lovely (not barren at all, it's all tree-lined below the top station), but to get the best out of the immediate area you need to be comfortable on red runs (the local ones all being excellent).

Also, I think there might be an ESF (main french ski school) based in 1650, but pretty sure there isn't in La Tania (would have to go to 1850), although there'll be plenty of private lessons available anywhere.

Even if you do stay in 1650, make sure you don't miss the blue run down into La Tania though (or go down for lunch - the Pub Ski Lodge is really good for that). It's a beautiful, tree-lined, cruisey run. Better than any of the blues in 1650.

Quote:

The refernce that the person had made to skiing in La Tania to skiing on the moon I think was saying because it is just baron with no scenery ie trees etc, well thats the way I picked it up lol.

As suggested, they definitely meant Val Thorens, not La Tania. Don't go to Val Thorens if you want trees/cruising.

Quote:

I can definitley say without shadow of a doubt, that I will not be going on that run that ansta posted. (or would i be letting my kids go down it lol), it looked so frightening especially the first part, what would have happened if on that narrow first section, you tripped and tumbled over the side?

You would fall. A long way Toofy Grin
snow conditions
ansta1 wrote:
It is officially one of the hardest marked runs in in europe and is I believe most difficult official piste in the 3v's, and until a few years ago wasn't officially a piste, it's steep can be hellishly mogulled and just the run down the ridge is plain frightening and not something I would recommend to anyone who is in anyway at all unsure of their skill level.

The worst part of that run is the run along the ridge to it. Terrifying. Run itself is OK if conditions are reasonable.

That ridge though. Had me whimpering like a baby.
ski holidays
Felonius_Monk, There's an ESF in La Tania too. I had decent group lessons there in my second week on skis. Also I don't really agree that you need red runs to get around and about in La Tania - I know on that first trip there I certainly didn't. For an absolute beginner La Tania might be a bit tricky, but for a group that are comfortable on blues there's no issue in my opinion.

You're right tho, in that 1650 would also be great, although I don't know if there are many ski-in ski-out apartments in 1650 whereas there are lots in La Tania.

One factor in favour of 1650 - there are loads of buses between there and the other bits of Courchevel, including in the evening, whereas there aren't many from La Tania. If you want a bit of variety in your evenings, 1650 is better.

BTW, not only is the blue into La Tania (Folyeres) really good, don't miss the green either (Plan Fontaine) - it has lovely swoopy corners and you can take it like a racetrack at quiet times of day. Almost like a giant bordercross, if that makes sense.
snow report
Quote:

Also I don't really agree that you need red runs to get around and about in La Tania - I know on that first trip there I certainly didn't. For an absolute beginner La Tania might be a bit tricky, but for a group that are comfortable on blues there's no issue in my opinion.

Yeah, agreed that you'll be able to get around OK but I think a higher % of the local runs around La Tania are red/black than is the case in 1650. Folyeres is beautiful, but I can't think of very many other blue/green runs to that side of 1850 off the top of my head that aren't cat-tracks. There's a decent blue from the top lift, I think. IIRC a lot of the really nice, tree-lined skiing in the La Tania/La Praz area is reds and black - Bouc Blanc, Dou Des Lanches and Jockeys being among the best from memory. Dou De Midi as well, but I'd class that as a pretty tricky red (if it's not been pisted) so maybe most of those runs (with the exception of Bouc Blanc maybe) might not be ideal for the OP. In contrast, pretty much all the lower skiing at 1650 is blues and greens, and the red runs aren't overly challenging on that side (though I remember Bel Air being a mogully trickster this year!).

I guess you can get up to the 1850 blues/greens from La Tania in two lifts, so that'd work fine for OP. Basically I don't think you can go wrong with either destination!
latest report
On looking at the piste map, although Courchevel 1650 is on the outer bit of the map, I think we will be more suited there. It looks like We can ski on blues right over to at least Meribel (how long would this take in a day on blues?) I think there will be more than enough to keep us busy there. We will be intending on getting private lessons so that we can all ski together as a family. I think the kids said they would like to give snowboarding a go next year so maybe this will be a good place to learn with a lot of greens. But then looking again at La Tania, the positives are it is more central so it means on a given day we could go left to courchevel or right to meribel, with the added bonus of more apartments in La Tania being ski in/out. We wouldnt be planning on getting a ski bus anywhere as that is why I am looking for ski in/out, we problaby wouldnt venture out on a bus in the evening either.

Felonius_Monk, what do you mean by "LaTania is lovely (not barren at all, it's all tree-lined below the top station), but to get the best out of the immediate area you need to be comfortable on red runs (the local ones all being excellent)".

its not that we cant do red runs, in fact the kids and hubby are more than happy to be alittle bit more adventurous, its just I dont like anything to hairy, as long as its wide and I can take my time, I could manage it but I much prefer just mooching on down lol.

So the dilemma now is 1650 or La Tania?
A question for La Tania:
What are the queues like waiting for one of the only two lifts to get you onto the pistes?
Are there lots of ski in/ski out properties?
Are there many restaurants in the area?

A question for 1650:
If your property is not ski in/out what are your options? is there ski bus? or a place to leave your skis/boots at the bottom of the slopes.
ski holidays
Harry Flashman wrote:
The worst part of that run is the run along the ridge to it. Terrifying. Run itself is OK if conditions are reasonable.

That ridge though. Had me whimpering like a baby.

This made me lol Very Happy Shocked

I completely understand, just looking at it on that video makes my feet tingle and stomach churn. All those "what if's" that run through your head when you are going down the ridge.

Ansta I am not surprised your wife banned you from taking your 12 year old down it, but I also wouldnt have let the instructor take her down, after all, if she trips or slips on a ridge and goes over the side, what exactly is the instructor going to do that you couldnt? just watch Im guessing Shocked

But I am a complete wuss so I guess I am not really looking at it from an adrenalin junkie point of view.
snow conditions
Felonius_Monk wrote:
Quote:

Also I don't really agree that you need red runs to get around and about in La Tania - I know on that first trip there I certainly didn't. For an absolute beginner La Tania might be a bit tricky, but for a group that are comfortable on blues there's no issue in my opinion.

Yeah, agreed that you'll be able to get around OK but I think a higher % of the local runs around La Tania are red/black than is the case in 1650. Folyeres is beautiful, but I can't think of very many other blue/green runs to that side of 1850 off the top of my head that aren't cat-tracks. There's a decent blue from the top lift, I think. IIRC a lot of the really nice, tree-lined skiing in the La Tania/La Praz area is reds and black - Bouc Blanc, Dou Des Lanches and Jockeys being among the best from memory. Dou De Midi as well, but I'd class that as a pretty tricky red (if it's not been pisted) so maybe most of those runs (with the exception of Bouc Blanc maybe) might not be ideal for the OP. In contrast, pretty much all the lower skiing at 1650 is blues and greens, and the red runs aren't overly challenging on that side (though I remember Bel Air being a mogully trickster this year!).

I guess you can get up to the 1850 blues/greens from La Tania in two lifts, so that'd work fine for OP. Basically I don't think you can go wrong with either destination!

You must have read my mind lol.

On looking at La Tania, I think it would probalby just be a base of getting easily into courchevel or meribel easily.
What I tend to do before I go on holiday is look at the piste map and just use a highlighter to highlight all the blues to make sure we can get about easily and look at how many various options we have.
latest report
The question about difficult ski runs should always be considered along with the conditions. Courchevel is north facing so the runs hold up well. Saluire is high and doesn't cut up and get icy really so is a realitively easy black. The red down to 1850 is steepish and a run where you need to use energy to keep your speed down. The runs to the side of 1850 will be your best bet. VT is high a the snow is awesome. There are no trees and if you drop lower you go to one of the ugliest resorts in the world. If you want to cruise through trees teh La Tania and over teh Meribel are you best bets. Meribel is a through way and isn't positioned grealy for the sun so thenow conditions are often the worst in the 3 valleys. Hence, the French left it for the English...
snow report
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
The question about difficult ski runs should always be considered along with the conditions. Courchevel is north facing so the runs hold up well. Saluire is high and doesn't cut up and get icy really so is a realitively easy black. The red down to 1850 is steepish and a run where you need to use energy to keep your speed down. The runs to the side of 1850 will be your best bet. VT is high a the snow is awesome. There are no trees and if you drop lower you go to one of the ugliest resorts in the world. If you want to cruise through trees teh La Tania and over teh Meribel are you best bets. Meribel is a through way and isn't positioned grealy for the sun so thenow conditions are often the worst in the 3 valleys. Hence, the French left it for the English...

so are you saying that meribel isnt a good place to ski? its a pity coz it looks great on the piste map
ski holidays
polo99, cameronphillips2000 hasn't the first clue what he's talking about. The stuff he's written is so inaccurate I think I'd have a heart attack if I addressed every point. Ignore him. If he's skied more than 2 weeks in the 3Vs I'd be amazed. Felonius_Monk gave some pretty fair advice. For what you want, there's no question that C1650/La Tania (or even Le Praz/1550) would be better than VT, especially in January. The Meribel valley is often the best place to be in January - VT is too exposed, wind blown and basically bloody cold, Courchevel only gets the sun in the morning, but Meribel gets the sun on one side of the valley in the morning and the other side in the afternoon. Pr**ks who come on here slagging off Meribel's snow have only been there in spring (when it is the worst, no question).

If you'd like some honest, objective advice from someone with 50+ weeks experience in the 3Vs, PM me and I'll happily answer any questions you've got by email or phone.
snow report
polo99, i have done the run a few times and ski with my daughter regularly. I also have spent many weeks in Courchevel so have a reasonable appreciation of when the conditions suit certain runs. I would certainly have gone down the run on my own before considering if it was in a suitable condition to take her down.

As for the instructor, he walked the ridge down to the tipping in point first, and i have real confidence in the ESF instructors that Esprit use year on year. They are hard, fair and enjoy teaching the children as well as being very knowledgable in my view. If the instructors firmly believe the children can do a run then i have faith that they can.

Of course accidents happen, but again i feel the instructors in this case would be extremely capable in dealing with any issue. In fact lots of the children did fall over during the decent, nothing serious obviously, but all dealt with on the way down.

Following that run, which was in the instructors words, "to stretch them a little" all of the children then did all of the blacks from the top of 1850 and to a child said that they were all "easy peasy" after the grand couloir.

Also my daughter said she wouldnt let me take her down it after that and she would only go down with someone qualified to do so. as i dont have any qualifications (o levels, a levels and other work related qualifications aside) that excludes me..
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
Following that run, which was in the instructors words, "to stretch them a little" all of the children then did all of the blacks from the top of 1850 and to a child said that they were all "easy peasy" after the grand couloir.

I spent much of my BASI 'shadowing' time with the ex ESF ladies downhill champion. She absolutely took no prisoners and had 4 day skiers going down red gradient off piste. At first it shocked me but after a few days I found myself wondering how much quicker I would have progressed in my skiing development if I had had someone like her teaching me. The ESF get slagged off for a lot of things but I reckon there's a reason you never see a bad French skier...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raceplate wrote:
polo99, cameronphillips2000 hasn't the first clue what he's talking about. The stuff he's written is so inaccurate I think I'd have a heart attack if I addressed every point. Ignore him. If he's skied more than 2 weeks in the 3Vs I'd be amazed. Felonius_Monk gave some pretty fair advice. For what you want, there's no question that C1650/La Tania (or even Le Praz/1550) would be better than VT, especially in January. The Meribel valley is often the best place to be in January - VT is too exposed, wind blown and basically bloody cold, Courchevel only gets the sun in the morning, but Meribel gets the sun on one side of the valley in the morning and the other side in the afternoon. Pr**ks who come on here slagging off Meribel's snow have only been there in spring (when it is the worst, no question).

If you'd like some honest, objective advice from someone with 50+ weeks experience in the 3Vs, PM me and I'll happily answer any questions you've got by email or phone.

thanks for the reply, forgive my ignorance, but does that mean that when you say courchevel only gets shade in the morning, then the rest of the day its in shade?
ski holidays
Quote:

Saluire is high and doesn't cut up and get icy really so is a realitively easy black.

Combe de Saulire is a red. And it's a REALLY nasty one, at the end of the day, when it's bumpy and/or icey. It's harder than most of the blacks in Courchevel in those conditions I think... OP should probably aim to avoid it, I'd have thought. The right-hand side of the piste map (above La Tania) might be a better option as a Courch/Meribel link, or you can always download in the gondola from the top of Saulire (the Saulire link requires steep-ish reds both ways - from Courch to Meribel and from Meribel to Courch, whereas the link over above La Tania is blue runs on both sides).
ski holidays
On looking at the piste map I would probably miss out the whole section that runs above from the bottom of the saulire lift and make my way into meribel via the blues along the col de la loze and down the boulevard de la loze then is it possible to ski down the bourbon busset and connect with the roc de fer lift? not sure how we would get back over to courchevel from meribel back on blues though? its hard to tell what way the slopes go.
snow conditions
Much of the Col De Loze side in Meribel is blues and greens, and they're all pretty gentle. You can definitely ski most of that side & then get back over the ridge via the Loze chair. Looks like you can ski down the blues to Chaudanne and get the Roc De Fer lift if you like, then take Olympic up and over to Val Thorens. If you're going that far afield, it's useful to be able to at least ski red runs competently, as the links are occasionally closed due to high wind etc. and it's nice to be able to get back on varying routes if this happens.

If the Loze lift is ever shut from the Meribel side, you can ski down to Chaudanne and get the Saulire Express, and download in the Gondola back to the top of Verdons in Courch 1850.
latest report
polo99 wrote:
thanks for the reply, forgive my ignorance, but does that mean that when you say courchevel only gets sun in the morning, then the rest of the day its in shade?

Correct. 1850, and in particular the Combe de Saulire are always in shadow by about 1pm at that time of year. The 2 main entrances to it are pretty steep and can bump up but there is a path available that avoids those sections and comes in lower down if you look for it. Same for the trickiest part (just below the top of Pas du Lac) of getting to Creux into 1850/Biche into Meribel - there is a path that avoids that too.

1650 will still be nice though; all the cruisy Blue runs there will stay in good condition. Avoid 1550 in the morning and stay away from Le Praz, you won't like the Reds there (too icy).
latest report
Can't knock Meribel or Motteret in January imo. I would not write these options off if you can find accommodation that meets your needs. The advantage of these, particularly in January, is that you are only one valley away from the whole 3 Valleys system (or 2 if we count Orelle) so over 6 days can divide the 3 V's into 6 sections if you like. There is some very good cruising above Les Menuires and St Martin, or you can cruise Courchevel all a lift or two away. Although quite British(!), Meribel town center is more attractive than others, and there are chalets that are ski in ski out if you look (check out Ski Cuisine).

There are tree lined runs lower down, and the run down from Col de Loze to Meribel Village is almost totally tree lined.

Three or four years ago I was beginning to tire of the 3V's, but the more I get to understand it and know where the best places to ski, eat and drink are, coupled with the awsome investment in the lift system, the more difficult it is to justify going anywhere else.

Hope that this helps.
ski holidays
Agree with David Yacht (on several. VT and Courchevel offer better skiing (largely due to being less crowded), Meribel is the best place to stay as it gives to access to all of the 3V with relative ease. Orelle and back was a simple day skiing, for example. Can't say that if you stay in Courch...

Cruising back to Meribel Village along the easy Altiport and Lapin runs, in the sunshine past the trees is a great end of day, followed by a beer at Lodge du Village (one of the cheapest bars in the whole 3V, and very fun/friendly)

Lift system is brilliant, too. Even big queues move fast.

Meribel for skiing was pretty rubbish - crowded, full of beginners falling over and making random turns, better skiers going too fast for the crowds/conditions, ski school snakes and all sorts of other impediments/dangers. But as a place to stay and a base, best in the 3V.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy