Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

almost definitely a stupid question - medial sprain

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I sprained my medial ligament yesterday (diagnosed by doctor after x-ray & manipulation). My knee feels totally stable, just twinges when walking down stairs and I have a VERY slight limp. I'm doing the whole PRICE thing, there's no swelling or bruising. How stupid would I be to ski gentle runs using a hinged brace when it feels better without painkillers? The doctor wasn't too forthcoming, he said wait until Friday then gave me a letter saying do no exercise for a month......

As far as I can translate from his written diagnosis there was good stability under manipulation and no visible damage from the x-ray

Obviously I'm childishly angling for people to tell me to go forth and carve Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've had a similar injury and IME if you've got a GOOD brace it'll be fine. A good brace IMO has 4 straps around the leg (2 above and 2 below the knee), metal hinges plus a patella stabiliser AND crossover patella straps. French pharmacists sell them for about €150. A piece of neoprene with a couple of hinges is a waste of space.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

The doctor wasn't too forthcoming, he said wait until Friday then gave me a letter saying do no exercise for a month......

well you might need to be prepared to ski uninsured - if you were doing it against medical advice.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
and another thought. If you can't walk without limping then you're not moving symmetrically - which could affect your carving. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, good point 're insurance, bums. I wouldn't ski if still limping, was just wondering if it improves enough to walk/skip/hop on without any pain whether it would be safeish to ski on. We're here for two weeks...

Raceplate, I've got an HG80 which is pretty meaty.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 26-03-13 13:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Weakness in the MCL will put extra load on the ACL and you will have an increased possibility of knee injury. Life is a gamble.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MeMyselfandI wrote:
Raceplate, I've got an HG80 which is pretty meaty.

I'd put that in the waste of space category.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's naturally very frustrating but made more so now by the fact that 27 hours after the fall I've got full range of movement and no pain. Is that normal? If I hadn't been to the doctor I'd have rested it again tomorrow then skied Thursday...as it is I'm now uninsured for 30 days.

Double bums.

Thanks for the responses.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MeMyselfandI, go back to the doctor and explain how it feels now, sounds very minor if the pains now gone, as there were no signs of damage or anything to be felt by the doc, maybe a std response by saying a month because most minor injuries take 4-6 weeks to settle, as there was no obvious swelling etc. He can only go on what you were feeling at the time, how did you feel at the time? Go back and explain how you feel now, maybe you will get a more favourable response.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
MeMyselfandI wrote:
I sprained my medial ligament yesterday (diagnosed by doctor after x-ray & manipulation). My knee feels totally stable, just twinges when walking down stairs and I have a VERY slight limp. I'm doing the whole PRICE thing, there's no swelling or bruising. How stupid would I be to ski gentle runs using a hinged brace when it feels better without painkillers? The doctor wasn't too forthcoming, he said wait until Friday then gave me a letter saying do no exercise for a month......

As far as I can translate from his written diagnosis there was good stability under manipulation and no visible damage from the x-ray

Obviously I'm childishly angling for people to tell me to go forth and carve Laughing

It depends on your attitude to risk.
I would think quite high risk of further injury, mainly because I have seen it happen.
But.... Some do get away with albeit with pain.
Oh, by the way, the literature on bracing has in most cases been funded by, you guessed it, the brace manufacturers.

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still a bit of pain when releasing from fully bent but its loads better. I'll see what the physio says on Tuesday and then maybe book another week but leave skiing until then Smile

Luckily the weather is utterly pants so I don't feel I'm missing out on too much!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MeMyselfandI,

Had a shocking attempt at skiing in CHX today. Wet,heavy and brutal winds at Le Tour
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well I saw the doctor again yesterday and he signed me off (on?). Bluebird day today, great joy. Plus the insurance claim from my week off will pay for another week here! Greater joy Smile

Thanks for listening to my whining.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MeMyselfandI, Happy days, take it easy on those jump turns eh! wink Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy