Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Folgarida MdC Advice Please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I,m considering an offer for the hotel Madonna Delle Nevi in what i think is Folgarida 1400 for New Year.

Anyone been?It seems to get good reviews on TA.

It appears to be very convenient at 50m or so from the lift which is very important for the group.

Folgarida 1300 appears to be more of a purpose built area with a central square, but i cant seem to find much info on 1400.The map seems to show more of a village so how does this compare with 1300 with regard to bars,apres,restaurants etc.We dont need much but acouple of apres beer venues would be good.

Two questions come to mind are we better based in 1300/1400 or even M d C for a mixed ability group?

Is the red 3 run into 1400 very difficult as we have a couple of fairly timid intermediates in the group who can ski most blue/reds but may struggle with steep pitches or moguls?

Getting over to MdC looks acheivable even with lower intermediates in the group,how busy is it likely to be over New Year in the area and are there many oppportunities for offpiste in the area as we also have a couple of dads//teens who are more than capable.

Ideally oportunities to dib off for an hour or so whilst the girls skii some easier pistes would be ideal.

Any thoughts much apreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hedley wrote:
I,m considering an offer for the hotel Madonna Delle Nevi in what i think is Folgarida 1400 for New Year.

Anyone been?It seems to get good reviews on TA.

It appears to be very convenient at 50m or so from the lift which is very important for the group.

Folgarida 1300 appears to be more of a purpose built area with a central square, but i cant seem to find much info on 1400.The map seems to show more of a village so how does this compare with 1300 with regard to bars,apres,restaurants etc.We dont need much but acouple of apres beer venues would be good.

I've stayed in 1300 several times and been to 1400 - it is livelier in 1400. The Apres is 1300 is really either the Eta Beta bar/club (which is actually not bad), or the hotel bars or a rather good pizza restaurant...but that is your lot!

Quote:
Two questions come to mind are we better based in 1300/1400 or even M d C for a mixed ability group?

Is the red 3 run into 1400 very difficult as we have a couple of fairly timid intermediates in the group who can ski most blue/reds but may struggle with steep pitches or moguls?

Depends to some degree on what one really means by timid intermediate.

1400 or 1300 would be fine - easy access to generally fairly easy blues and confidence-building reds (i.e. consistent gradients and wide)

Blue 2 drops all the way to 1300 on the way back and all bar the shouting to 1400 as well, thus avoiding red 3 should one wish. I don't recall blue 2 ever being that chopped up, but you're looking at a busy week - may be a little more challenging, but it is a very benign piste.

As for staying in MdC. Well, there is much more to offer and access for all abilities, but it is usually a fair bit more expensive - certainly more so than extending a lift pass from Folgarida/Marilleva to the full MdC for a week. Nice town though with loads more going on.

Quote:
Getting over to MdC looks acheivable even with lower intermediates in the group,how busy is it likely to be over New Year in the area and are there many oppportunities for offpiste in the area as we also have a couple of dads//teens who are more than capable.

Getting to MdC is pretty easy - red 10 is the only connecting route and, bar one very short section that one might call steep (it is very wide so easy to traverse with wide turns), not really a problem. On the way back the bottom of red 15 is fairly steep and can get chopped up for about 100m. Again, the piste is very wide here. Might give really cautious skiers pause for thought, but if your intermediate description is correct, it shouldn't be an issue. Might be worth not leaving it to the end of the day to be on the safe side for the first trip out that way.

Plenty of off-piste options between pistes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chasseur, thanks

Its much aprreciated you take the time to reply in such detail Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hedley, no problem. Fire away if you have any other questions. There are several other snowHeads who also know the area, so you should find answers to most things.

Overall, I rate the area - plenty of variety and options to ski with mixed groups. Probably not one for a group of experts IMV.

One thing worth remembering (unless it has recently changed) Folgarida 1400 and 1300 are served only by one cashpoint (in 1300) - the two areas are not really within comfortable walking distance of one another - maybe as much as a mile apart by road....well it felt like that when I walked uphill from one to the other, once (cos the cashpoint had broken down rolling eyes) Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chasseur, you forgot The Cake Shop!
In 1300, Café Roby serves the most fantastic cakes, made in-house by the owner. For me (and Gregory, my son), this was a major plus of the village, sweetening the end of each day as we bore the inevitable disappointment of the lifts closing.

We were there on a pretty busy week and the only significant queues we encountered were on a couple of chairs, returning to Folgarida from MdC at the end of the day. They really need to upgrade those slow 3-man chairs!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
admin, that's cos I don't eat cakes! Beer and Williams at the Eta Beta, gazing at "Gina Bellman" sweetened the end of my day well enough Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
have also had my eye on this resort for a while.Chasseur, you say ''it is livelier in 1400. The Apres is 1300 is really either the Eta Beta bar/club (which is actually not bad), or the hotel bars or a rather good pizza restaurant...but that is your lot!'' but whats in 1300 to make it livelier? a few bars, more? also what would I expect to pay for a pint or a burger. thanks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
garc, I assume you meant what is in 1400 that makes it livelier? If so, then a few more bars essentially. Neither are really what one would call "banging" regarding apres/evening entertainment if that's what one is after.

I don't recall the price of the beer exactly - €4.50 - €5.00 perhaps. Can't say on the burgers as don't tend to eat them. Sorry!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy