Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow threatens to seal off earthquake victims ... world's largest helicopter flies in supplies

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
With imminent heavy snow threatening to cut off remote villages in Pakistan and Kashmir, the United Nations World Food Programme (UNWFP) has deployed an MI-26 - the world's largest helicopter - to fly in relief supplies. The MI-26 can carry 20 metric tones, or ten times as much as the MI-8, the standard UN helicopter used during emergency operations.

But the UNWFP is said to be 90% short of the funds it needs to finance this operation. According to this report from Pakistan Link "WFP has only received US$ 9.8 million of the US$ 100 million it needs to run its Pakistan air operation. The MI-26 alone costs US$11000 per hour to operate."

It is reckoned that four weeks remain before snow hampers these helicopter operations.

This report from ABC News Online puts more detail on the financial problem faced by the relief effort:
Quote:
United Nations disaster relief coordinator Jan Egeland says the UN has received only a quarter of the funds needed in Pakistan to help victims of last month's earthquake.

Mr Egeland says many countries have failed to understand the scale of the tragedy.

The UN is calling for more than $400 million to pay for tents, warm clothing and stoves to ensure people survive the coming winter.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, this is truly awful, and all skiers know what it's like to be cold. Unfortunately just as I was going to send warm clothes I saw people walking all over clothes on the ground of Muzzarabad (spelling?), so I took them to the local charity shop. I wonder how many others did similarly?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy