Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva Airport

Poster: A snowHead
I am picking up my daughter at Geneva airport on Tuesday morning. Is this likely to be a nightmare or is it simply short term parking?
Have felt a few bad vibes about the place.
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mike3000, shouldn't be too bad, busy weekbut probably worse thursday
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The usual outdoor arrivals area is all closed. Arrivals parking is now in P1 - what used to be the main long-stay car park.

So as you enter, expect a short queue, and maybe a minor interrogation by some womble, to check you're not trying to park in P1 for a week on the sly... , so instead you'll go down a clockwise downward spiral ramp into P1. Grab a ticket, follow the signs, and it's usually easy to park. The you're up an elevator to where arrivals used to be. Add an extra ten minutes for negotiating that, but it's not a nightmare scenario.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike3000, or simply head to the departures car park if there are spaces, but charges for overstaying your 30 minute welcome are a bit steep. Nothing compared to Heathrow though. wink And even P1 is not a big problem (though they wouldn't let me in there last time I tried, saying I was overheight, though I don't actually think I am). I wouldn't be bothered about Tuesday. I have to go on Friday, to meet both a flight into the airport and a subsequent train into Cornavin Station in Geneva town - that'll probably be a bit busier but still manageable I hope.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unlikely to be any problems on a Tuesday morning. The '-1' floor in P1 is the temporary designated arrivals parking, usually loads of space apart from on a Saturday, but any of the other floors in P1 are OK.

If she has already arrived, there is a quick drop area on the departures floor ourtside where you can meet her without stopping, follow signs for the sweetly named 'kiss and fly' area.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Unlikely to be any problems on a Tuesday morning. The '-1' floor in P1 is the temporary designated arrivals parking

Yep until March 31st, guess who's going to pick someup up on April 1st - Any guesses as to where the car park will be that afternoon?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, good point!

I'm guessing it means the traditional area outside will be back in operation again, but failing that any of the six levels in P1 will be ok for arrivals. I often used to do that anyway as the outdoor arrivals parking was often rammed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
as you come off the motorway you'll go over the flyover and come to some traffic lights. get in the left hand land for the arrivals car park. you go down the ramp and the arrivals car park is on your right. as you go into the car park get into the left lane and then you are in the arrivals part of the car park.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the help. Great info as usual
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So glad this was posted, as picking friends up on Saturday.

Is P1 on the French or Swiss side? They arrive 7am Sat, we're hoping to get there for around 8-9 (they probably won't be actually out till after 8 anyway), will we struggle to get a parking space? How much is the parking? Do we have to be organised with coins? We will probably want to stop and park, rather than the "kiss and fly" (love that !!) area, as we will need to organise their luggage in the car and get the skis on the roof, so don't want to be getting rushed off.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
P1 is the Swiss side. It has a 2m height restriction though.

You should be ok on still even on Saturday although it will be busy. It's not actually to expensive if you're there for less than an hour. You won't be allowed to go to the kiss and fly drop off as its taxi, transfer companies and coaches only at weekends. If you're over height then you can use p3 which is about 2.6m I think but it is more expensive and will be full at the weekend so you'll have to queue. If you struggle with parking or youre going to be a while head to p26 as its cheaper and you can always get in but you have to walk a lot further.

The old arrivals area is shut so p2 arrivals is now on -1 of p1.

Here's a link which has the car parks, tariffs and maps

http://www.gva.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-65/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
3VVs, Thanks so much for the info, Would we be better here than the French side? We'll have to pay the vignette on the Swiss side, don't mind, but if going to French side is ok, then we may do that.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Going to the French side fairly tricky as to avoid Switzerland altogether is a very long way road. If you want to avoid the vignette then you will probably be best to go through st julien. If your coming from annecy direction then stay on the green roads to Geneva rather than getting onto the toll road and go through at julien. It takes longer but saves you 6.50 in tolls and the vignette. You can come off before the border and go into Geneva but its a bit of a pig
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you drive over the Jura and come down the Col de la Faucille into Ferney Voltaire you will hit the French side first, of course.

It's probably worth getting the vignette to avoid the hassle, especially as it's so quick to get to Bardonnex and on the new motorway towards Annecy. If you are heading Chamonix way there's not so much in it - going through Geneva is not a big problem and is what I have to do on Friday as I am picking up someone at the central station after the airport (fingers crossed....).

Though when I bought a vignette at Ferney Voltaire ten days or so ago they were in no hurry to sell me one - unlike Bardonnex where they leap out and slap it on the windscreen at the slightest provocation.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you're not familiar with driving around Geneva I would recommend just chancing it and going the normal route on the motorway. You might be lucky and get away with it anyway
snow conditions
Quote:

If you're not familiar with driving around Geneva I would recommend just chancing it and going the normal route on the motorway. You might be lucky and get away with it anyway

You would almost definitely get away with travelling away from Geneva but getting through Bardonnex on the way back would be less probable - and if you end up buying one there on the way back you might as well buy one to start with.
latest report
Gilly28, Regarding what time to arrive......Geneva can be pretty quick in getting luggage to the baggage hall, although admittedly Saturday mornings are peak times. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if they're through into arrivals in 30 minutes or so.

You can pay for the parking with coins & notes (I think Euros as well as Swiss Francs), but it also takes credit cards, even for tiny amounts. The parking is very reasonably priced, unlike the bandits at UK airports.
snow report
3VVs wrote:
Going to the French side fairly tricky as to avoid Switzerland altogether is a very long way road. If you want to avoid the vignette then you will probably be best to go through st julien. If your coming from annecy direction then stay on the green roads to Geneva rather than getting onto the toll road and go through at julien. It takes longer but saves you 6.50 in tolls and the vignette. You can come off before the border and go into Geneva but its a bit of a pig

Stay on green roads most of the way following signs to Geneve. Come off right at a roundabout that says Annemasse instead of Geneve. Turn left at a hotel/restaurant with a big pair of Desperate Dan cow horns on it. Follow satnav from there.

In fact, just follow satnav from Annecy selecting 'avoid tolls' It's a great (free) route. Barely 15 minutes longer.
snow conditions
3 different routes explained in detail here

http://www.gva.ch/fr/Portaldata/1/Resources/fichiers/publications/af.pdf
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy