Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help my kids !!!

Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all

The wife and I had our first ever skiing experience in February in bansko and loved it. So much so we have now decided to get the kids a few lessons and take them next year.

Could you please suggest a location that matches the following criteria;

Family friendly
Shortish transfer
Lessons for a 5 and 7 year olds
Good snow - of course Very Happy
Short waiting times for lifts and gondola's
Nice hotel 3/4 star plus
Not too busy during half term in feb 2014
Budget around £1500-1800 for all four

I look forward to hearing your ideas

Thanks

Neil
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nellybear, what are you expecting £1800 to cover? If it's everything, I'd say you have no chance at all of getting all that at half term in one of the main countries (France, Austria, Switzerland, Italy).

Back to Bansko might be your best bet, or look at the options for driving from the UK, renting a small apartment and self-catering. Still be a slight struggle though.

Prices will be lower and lift queues shorter at Christmas.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree, you won't get a 4* hotel during half-term for that kind of money. You need to budget at least £700 per person for a basic skiing holiday at 1/2 term.

To give you an idea of prices during half-term £3,500 for half-board at a 4* hotel in Montgenevre. So you're talking £1400 per person.
A one bedroom apartment with bunks in the hallway will bring you down to £800 excluding flights, but including transfer, ski hire, lessons. Montgenevre is about 2/3 of the price of the major resorts.

As you are beginners, go somewhere small, check the european holiday calendar and avoid other countries, half-terms. British tour operators' prices are highest that week as well.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It can be done. I've averaged about £450 a head for travel, transfer and self catering accommodation (but often the apartment would take more than 2) for my daughter and me at half term over the last few years. That has taken in some pretty tasty resorts; Zermatt, Laax, St Anton & Alpe D'Huez. You need to get in really quick for flights though and accept reasonably basic accommodation. That doesn't include lift passes, hire (we take our own), lessons (we don't usually have any at half term), food, etc though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's possible to get good value, even in school holidays, but I've not yet come across that kind of value. I did see the "Help my kids" as a challenge wink so I googled some things this afternoon...

I started with booking.com and I found 3 hotels that came close to your budget, all offering something a little different. These are all just to give you an idea. And, it's always possible I miscalculated something Blush , if so, I'm sorry.

E = EURO

- 1: BRIANCON, FR

Hotel: Suite Home Briancon Serre Chevalier *** : 1 km from the lifts by skibus, 630E for 7 nights in 4p room

Forfaits: Serre Chevalier Vallee (250 km pistes)

Moins 6 ans: gratuit avec parent
2 adults: 214 x 2 = 228 E
1 child between 6 en 11 = 171 E

= 399 E

Skirental: Prices not yet available, based on easter price 2013

SKISET: Man and woman budget ski: 69,22E x 2 = 140 E
1 minikid (3-5J): 44,70E
1 kid (6-11J): 63,30 E

= 140 + 108 E = 248 E

Lessons: For any 2 children + 2 adults booking 6 days in group of 10 of 2h30, the 2nd adult will be discount of 50%, 520 € instead of 592 €

4 persons x morning lessons x 6 days = 520 E

Or just morning lessons for children only: 151 E x 2 = 302 E

= 1797 EURO with lessons for 4 persons / 1577 EURO with lessons for 2 persons

This price does not include travel or food. The hotel is logies only in this price.

Personally I often stay in a cheap apartment, which might be more suited to your budget.

- 2: LEYSIN, CH

Hotel: Hotel Central Residence ***

on the piste in Leysin, free wifi, spa and fitness

1002,59 E in 4p room (apartment)

+ 343 E with breakfast only = 1345 E

or in Half Board for 4P = 1547 E

60 km pistes Leysin: 542 CHF (2 children under 9 free, I think, as I haven't found a price for them) = 443 EURO

Ski rental: Alpinresorts.com (skis and poles + boots)

1 x bronze ski: 134 E
1 x first ski under 6 yrs: 49 E
1 x first ski: 107 E
1 x bronze ski: 134 E

= 424 E

Lessons: Jardins des neiges lessons: 3 - 7 yrs: 205 chf x 2 = 410 chf = 335,68 E

= 2547 E in the apartment with breakfast option

So travel and evening meal is not included.

- 3: LIVIGNO, IT

Hotel: Hotel Galli ***

1 family room: 1295 E (with breakfast)

400m from skilift

Skipass: 115 km pistes Livigno: 1800 - 3000 meters height

Adults x 2 : 207,50 x 2 = 415 E (this years prices)

Children born after 2005: free lift pass with adult lift pass

Ski rental: Easter prices 2013

*** cat adult: skis boots poles 110 E x 2 = 220 E

skis boots poles child under 6 yrs: 40,50 E

skis boots poles child under 14 yrs: 54 E

= 314,5 E

Lessons: Morning lessons 6 days ski: 135 E pp with ski school livigno

= 2024 EURO

Only travel is not included in this option.

So, apologies for the very long post wink Basically, I think that if you look around, you can go skiing on a budget. But for the area of 3/4* hotels in february you will have to up the budget. Good luck with the planning Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Best bet with kids that age is to take them out of school for the week (in reality, what are they likely to miss out on?). Prices either side of half term are far less, also less queues and quieter slopes (important for kids to gain confidence on the slopes).

Kids could probably get away with a free lift pass (depends on resort) or for the first few days may only need to use nursery slopes which are free. Adult lift prices in most French resorts will range from £160 - £200 on average. Ski/boot and helmet hire for beginners probably £60 - £100 each, again depends on resort.

As a resort for families in their early ski years, I am biased by my own experiences, but I would recommend La Rosiere. Big enough ski area, family friendly, historically reliable snow depth at 1850m. Easy access to the pistes from much of the accommodation. Their lift pass / ski hire prices are on the lower end compared to the mega resorts. Ski schools (including ESF) have good reputation. Transfer time from Geneva is about 2.5 hrs, from Chambery 1.5 + hrs (but I never trust Chambery as fog often diverts flights)

For a catered chalet, unless you get a good late deal or good early booking offer (with free kids places) you will struggle with your current budget. I suggest get a short list of resorts that suit your skiing needs then shop around the Tour Ops for early deals
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Best bet with kids that age is to take them out of school for the week

yep, much the best bet if you can get away with it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nellybear,

Our first couple of weeks was to Arinsal in Andorra.

Princessa Parc have offered kids (under 11) stay free every year since 2008. No idea if that will be the case next year. Vallnord have been giving away free kids lift passes. We got skis and lessons for about £100.00 each through tour op. If you go in the middle of January and the same deals are still available, you should get away with £1500.00 for flights transfers, board passes, hire and lessons. Mid term will be much more expensive.

Only down side is that it is a 4 hour transfer from Barcelona or Tolouse.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Suite Hotel Serre Chevalier is in the middle of a shopping precinct and wouldn't be my choice of accommodation for a full weeks stay esp as there is a nightclub in the basement.. There's better accommodation in the resort for a similar price for an apartment or studio.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Your budget is tight!, we've done feb half term and Xmas in Arinsal. Feb 2011 in the Daina half board with Thomson came in at £2300 all in lift passes, hire, school, flights and transfers, Xmas 2011 Princessa parc with direct ski, £2400 all in for 2 adults 2 children. We are off to Tignes this weekend with 2 adults, 13, 10 and 8 year olds in an apartment that sleeps 8. All in except for food we've done it on £1600. We are driving and that includes petrol tolls, parking, locker hire, school, ski hire and passes for adults. Free lifts mean the kids will only need passes for a few days. I'm working on feb next years trip and puny st Vincent is coming in around £1200 all in for the 5 of us through Madame vacancies or booking.com. Good luck.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nellybear, I have to say when I started looking a couple of years ago for a family package I ruled out half term fairly instantly and decided to take both my kids (similar ages to yours) out of school and immediately found great packages in mid january. Yes January can be a bit cold but honestly it was the difference between having a ski holiday or not. If my wife wasn't now working in a school I'd have no qualms about taking them out again. The School was fine about it and legally you are within your rights to do it so if your work allows I'd agree taking them out of school holidays opens up a whole raft of holidays for you.

Last year we had 4* half board hotel at La Plagne with £450 worth of vouchers for drinks and lunch to use on top inc flights and transfers for £1600 with Crystal at Hotel Terra Nova. You can get excellent value lessons with ski passes included through Oxygene. I know that goes over your budget a bit but well worth looking at something of that nature as there is no expense on top for catering etc. The hotel is ski in/out and I thought fantastic value. I'd go there again for sure on a budget of £2k all in.

By contrast the exact same package in half term priced at £3600 plus lessons and passes!!! Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JulieAimeLeSki wrote:

- 1: BRIANCON, FR

Hotel: Suite Home Briancon Serre Chevalier *** : 1 km from the lifts by skibus, 630E for 7 nights in 4p room

Forfaits: Serre Chevalier Vallee (250 km pistes)

Moins 6 ans: gratuit avec parent
2 adults: 214 x 2 = 228 E
1 child between 6 en 11 = 171 E

= 399 E

2 adults 214 x2 = 428 not 228 so plus 1 child @ 171 = total of 599 not 399 .........sorry to be a maths pedant!! Embarassed wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ooooooh, my post has just become even more stupid than I already thought it was Wink thanks! x
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JulieAimeLeSki, In all fairness you did pop a disclaimer in and pre-apology for any incorrect maths so it doen't really count as a mistake ...and you went to the trouble of researching all that too! Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would consider taking the kids out of school to reduce the price...
otherwise, if you are happy to self-cater, I have just returned from Chamrousse with Snow Trex - meets all your other criteria if you fly into Grenoble (30 mins away) - though we drove...
11 of us - 7 adults / 4 children (11 / 9 / 2 / 2) including 3 apartments / lift passes (except the twin 2 yr olds) / ski hire / lessons for one child = <£2,500 first week of Easter holiday...
so it is possible to ski on your budget - but the hotel & half term combination is likely to be pricey!

Alasdair
latest report
For beginner skiers, you have more options.

For the first 2-3 years when my kids were learning to ski, I skied at St. Jean D'Aulps, La Grande Terche. This is what I paid for 4 people in a s/c apartment:

Apartment for one week, 3 bedrooms, less 100 meters to the gondola, including an indoor swimming pool 800 EUR. Ski lessons, 105 per child for half days for the week. Ski pass on the family ski pass plan 470 euro for 2 adults and 2 children. Ski rental, 65 per child, 85 per adult for a week.

Two adults 2 children:

800 apartment
210 ski lessons
470 lift passes
300 ski hire

1591 for 4 people, excluding transport, excluding food. I drove, and took some prepared meals and shopped at the Carrefour down the road. There is a small shop next to the gondola to resupply on one offs. Alternatively, you could buy prepared stuff in the Carrefour, it is a mega Carrefour, and eat out a couple of nights as there were some 2-3 pubs around the gondola. The big bonus was the indoor swimming pool in the apartment we stayed in. The kids just loved, loved, loved that one.

St. Jean D'Aulps in the PDS area, but not lift connected. It doesn't matter though, it will take at least another year or two before you out skied the St. Jean D'Aulps area anyway. Enough to keep intermediates entertained for a week.

If you want more convenience, like flying, renting cars or transfers, and catered meals, it's gonna cost. For us, I need to stretch the holiday budget as much as possible. It are the choices we make as a family.

By the way, this was during half term. No lift lines.
snow conditions
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
St. Jean D'Aulps...Enough to keep intermediates entertained for a week.

Whilst I'm very fond of St Jean D'Aulps, I'm going to have to disagree (quite strongly) with that statement. Most intermediates (and I'll set the level at "can ski a red run") would ski it out in a day or two.

I completely agree with the rest of the post. snowHead

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 5-04-13 9:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
FlyingStantoni wrote:
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
St. Jean D'Aulps...Enough to keep intermediates entertained for a week.

Whilst I'm very fond of St Jean D'Aulps, I'm going to have to disagree (quite strongly) with that statement. Most intermediates (and I'll set the level at "can ski a red run") would ski it out in a day or two.

Sorry Heidi, have to +1 this too wink
latest report
Nellybear, to echo what others have said, maybe compromise on the hotel and go for self-catering. Don't compromise on quality tuition for you all. Snowheads is a good tool to use when checking out recommended ski schools/instructors once you have an idea of where you are going. The British ski schools will book up quite a way in advance and in France the local independent schools will need to be booked in the autumn (for half-term and high season) Very Happy
snow conditions
Solution: Go in the Easter holidays. It's less crowded. The weather is usually warmer and much nicer for everyone (cold kids are grumpy kids, and just don't mention the cold wife...!) and it's a lot cheaper. But you may need to go high (live above 1800m) to be sure of good snow. Feb half term is always very busy, crowded, expensive and the staff in resorts get very stressed.
One of the smaller resorts in France or Austria?
Take yourself to a ski show and pick up a bargain, or the early season brochure offers are usually as good if not better than last minute ones.
At 5 & 7 the children may get a bit tired to ski all day. Somewhere with a kids club would be helpful although that will stretch your budget...
snow report
Another vote for taking the kids out of school. Get on the Internet and look for a smallish resort, check the lift passes as you may be able to get both kids free passes in some resorts - I remember that claviere did free lift passes up to 7 when we went but its not the best reort for beginners
snow conditions
jirac18 wrote:
... legally you are within your rights to do it so if your work allows I'd agree taking them out of school holidays opens up a whole raft of holidays for you.

You're not, you know. You're allowed by law to take them out if the school agrees, but they don't have to. Our primary will normally allow it but they stress it's not automatic, and it's a hanging offence at the secondary. If you take them without permission then it's an "unauthorised absence" which is against the law.

As people say at 5 and 7 there's very unlikely to be an issue, but it's not a right.
latest report
Given that Nellybear went in Feb this year without the kids may suggest that the adults are unable to get out of school in term time?
ski holidays
Thinking of taking my 5 nearly 6 year old out of school first week of feb 2014, firstly does anyone know when i should tell/write to the school..... near to the time of departure or with as much notice as possible? Also we would want him to go to ski school too, will there be any other kids in ski school at that time?! we are going to three valleys.
snow report
winnit, the school should have a policy on it? Certainly with ours they say they would like as much notice as possible, they also say they are more likely to authorise it if it is adjacent to an existing school holiday. I put the application to take Ellie out of school in year R in before she started at the school. I applied for taking her out of year 2 (for next week) last May but I had also checked the dates with the head master before putting the official application in.
latest report
NickyJ, thanks for that, will check their policy, all new to me!
snow report
Ours is up on the schools website.
snow conditions
Another vote for Andorra, specifically Arinsal for your budget / experience. But book last minute and you might find Austria a bargain. By last minute I mean a couple of days before.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi.
If your thinking of going back to Bansko (I know the gondola is a nightmare in the morning) but I went twice last season.

My neighbour has an apartment in Fortuna (attached to Penguins bar)

2 bedroom £400 for the week.

I hired a car for the week but I think transfers are £75 for 4 people each way (I would need to check on that)

Give me a shout if you want more info.

Ian
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy