Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which way around should skis go on a roof rack?

Poster: A snowHead
How can I not know this? It's usually MrI's job but this time falls to me and apparently it's not an urgent enough question for him to interrupt a meeting to answer.

So, tails facing forwards or tips?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tails forward, as the tips could catch the wind and vibrate (but twin tips confuse the issue).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good, that's the way I've done it. Don't have any true twin tips but most 'twinned' set I have don't have bindings on them. I'll be most blue if I lose them en route.

Thank you Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are you Parisien?

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tails forward, and bases up if there's room, keeps the wind resistance down.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
.albinomountainbadger, genuinely LOL
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
albinomountainbadger, Shocked Laughing ! Good magnets Skullie
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
albinomountainbadger, If only they'd rotated them 90 degrees they could have used them as a rear wing Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Neither, get a box.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Always point them down hill.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Basil, Are you of Irish descent? To be sure, to be sure, to be sure Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The roof wrack is for the children. Keep the skis nice and safe inside the car.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mcspreader wrote:
The roof wrack is for the children. Keep the skis nice and safe inside the car.

I take it you don't have kids?

Keep the skis and the kids safe inside - OH gets the cold windy seat on the roof Happy
ski holidays
Thornyhill, Ha ha, or should that be ha ha ha. Seem to get repeat posts when using phone, especially abroad.
latest report
Thornyhill, Ha ha, or should that be ha ha ha. Seem to get repeat posts when using phone, especially abroad.
snow report
snow report
snow report
Thornyhill, OH is working so no need to find space for him Smile

mcspreader, I would NEVER put my kids on the roof rack, that's a horrid suggestion. A box however........... *makes mental note to get a roof box*
snow conditions
MeMyselfandI wrote:
Thornyhill, OH is working so no need to find space for him Smile

Upgrade your OH to one who understands skiing, then put him on the roof Happy
latest report
Quote:

The roof wrack is for the children

the back seat wrath usually served for mine.
snow report
albinomountainbadger wrote:
Are you Parisien?

In fairness, it has to be a case of magnetic rack, sunroof, oh f**k it it'll get us there. I hope.
snow conditions
Quote:

I take it you don't have kids?

Not sure. They were there when we left Calais.
snow report
....love this

http://www.evoqueforums.net/forum/attachments/evoque-accessories/35d1324284039-cheap-ski-rack-solution-skirack.jpg

text reads:

I've been looking for a ski rack (cheap) for my new Evoque. If you know the Evoque, you know we're talking hundreds of dollars. My Evoque is bare on top so, I would be looking at rails, cross rails and a ski rack for the roof top solution. There are some vertical racks available on the internet for around $200, but they all seem to need the vertical bar. I'm not sure whether one of these "boxes" would work with my 15 year old bike rack.

I had the "stock" 1 1/4" receiver installed on my vehicle. I had an old 1 1/4" bike rack. I was thinking of building it up vertically until today when I tried laying my skis horizontally. With the built-in rubber bike straps, they seem to hold my skis very securely. However, I'm going to add a locking strap in case the rubber straps let go.

The bike rack appears to be leaning to the right in the picture. Part of that is caused by the bar not being fully in the receiver and it may be slightly bent also. No big deal either way for me.

Because I'm standing close to the vehicle, the skis appear to be sticking WAY out. However the tips are no further out that my side view mirrors. Optical confusion.

I'll post a further report after my first run in this configuration. However, I'm expecting no problems. My skis are about 6' in length. I'm guessing if I were a snow boarder, this would method would work also. The whole purpose here is to have the rear seats being available. I think I would be only able to handle 2 pairs of alpine skis in this manner, but that's all I would ever be toting so that's no problem. '

This is wonderful - should read 'I've spend a fortune on a car and won't spend a tiny proportion of the purchase price on a safe means of transporting skis...'
Well, should have bought an old Passat or similar and stuck winter tyres on it. or (since they are in the 'States) a Subaru or a Jeep cherokee and then put a proper rack on it.

Final bit....We use a friend's Suzuki jeep when in CH sometimes - It has a vertical rack at the rear, fine until you put Black Crows in it - MUST REMEMBER NOT TO DRIVE INTO GARAGE is then written on a big note on the dashboard - otherwise....aargh
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy