Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please help with this short survey on skiing balance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can you help with this short survey? It's to discover where skiers believe they should focus their fore/aft balance - in other words, the center of pressure on the sole of the foot (or ski boot) while skiing. 

To the best of our knowledge, this hasn't been researched before. The plan is to present the findings at the International Science and Skiing Congress In St Anton this December. We'll make the results public on the forum after the meeting. 

We plan to post the survey on a number of English-speaking ski forums, in the UK and internationally. We would like to get as many responses as possible, from skiers of every standard. We're looking for responses from beginners and intermediates, just as much as from experts.

There are 3 questions to answer, and 3 optional questions (age, gender and country). It really shouldn't take more than a minute or so to complete. No personally identifiable data is collected. 

The link to the survey is www.surveymonkey.com/s/BDTCJR7 

If you can encourage your skiing friends to complete the survey too, whatever standard they are, that would be great!

Many thanks for your time and help with this
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
balance survey,
Welcome to snowHead
Done and a good short survey but I suggest you make the link click through and I would have thought that The Piste or Bend ze knees would get more views and a better response.

Would be interested in the answers to the survey when complete, please post.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Done: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BDTCJR7

Thanks to everyone who's completed the survey so far. Responses are currently running at 95% advanced/expert skiers - so if you are a beginner or an intermediate, this survey is for you too! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
balance survey, problem is the question refers to a "turn". The balance point can be different for different types of turn - a race carve turn can be very different from a pivotted turn.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
balance survey, I'd say that there is a similar problem with what is 'skiing in a straight line', because my balance point differs if I am in a tuck, or if I am cruising at a relaxing speed; the latter consisting of a terrible habit of pretty much standing up straight with boots hardly done up!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I also completed then survey based on the assumption that it was your most common/comfortable turn, on a smooth pisted slope

Offpiste, difficult conditions or complex terrain will alter things somewhat
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Again, thanks everyone who has completed the survey so far, and for comments here and on the survey site itself

For the purposes of the survey assume that it's alpine skiing, not telemark or cross- country (sorry guys!), and also that it relates to skiing fairly comfortably within your limits - not top-velocity aggressive skiing or particularly complex terrain.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Done.

I try to have my fore/aft balance through the length of my foot / ski boot, so from A-C / 1-12.

Enjoy the Congress. I was at the first one in St Christoph in 1996.

Tremendous time.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry, far too technical for me. I'm only an intermediate skier.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Sorry, far too technical for me. I'm only an intermediate skier.

Yeah seriously, I don't see how a beginner or intermediate can answer these questions. I've taught racers and Im still not sure about the answers...

Also quite amazed it hasn't started a mundane debate about the definition of a "standard turn"
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In my defence I have very little feeling/sensation in my lower legs and feet. Yes I can turn on skis, but I can't tell what my feet are doing! I'd even go as far as suggesting that my body weight and upper legs are doing more of the work than my feet...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Our survey is still active on Survey Monkey www.surveymonkey.com/s/BDTCJR7 - so if you haven't yet had a chance, we'd be grateful if you could take a minute or two to complete it

There's been 328 responses to date, so a big thanks to everyone who has responded.

A common theme is that fore/aft balance can be complicated by many factors - terrain, conditions, intent etc. For the purposes of the survey, assume that it relates to skiing straightforward turns on uncomplicated terrain, very comfortably within your limits.

All the data from the survey will be made freely available to the site in late December

Thanks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Done.
Actually, im far more interested and actively /constantly involved in LATERAL movement of pressure across the foot during turns than fore / aft pressure points. Appreciate that pressing shins and pressing balls of feet can assist in ski shovel early engagement AND I AGREE - it helps and gives me a buzz, but, pressing toward heels on exit of GS types turns to accelerate (very slightly) you out of the turn just doesn't do much for me. I can feel it, but for me, the gain isn't worth the effort to re center my balance afterwards.
I would say on a constant pitch slope, my lateral , compared to Fore/Aft active pressure change is at least 10:1, maybe 20:1.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy