Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Riding on icy patches

Poster: A snowHead
I have recently come back from the PdS, and I have to say conditions were amazing, however, as the days wore on, a few icy/hard patches began to appear... Now I don't normally have issues with icy patches, although I have been known to get put on my backside on occasion, however, on this trip I found myself incapable of riding over them without my board totally going from underneath me. On both edges...

My board was serviced before I left so I assume that all was ok on that front. The areas in question were on quite steep sections, but any attempt to try and regain some control (and self esteem) resulted in me flat on my face or backside... Sad

I was wondering, does anyone have any advice on riding over icy patches... I know the key is to try and do just that, ride over them, but when the slope is steep, an edge is occasionally needed...

I am not a beginner on a board, but by no means 'Awesome' either... I can get down pretty much anything (without having to edge) and ride off piste occasionally... However, this part of my riding really got to me on my last trip... I seemed to be the only one that couldn't get over these sections, still stood up Sad

Thx folks... Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 19-03-13 21:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Could be lots of things, but the most likely candidate is posture.

You need to have your posture sorted and have your weight properly stacked over your board. If you're bending at the waist or sticking your bum out, your centre of gravity will be outside the board and you'll go down.

Have an instructor take a look at your riding.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wot stevomcd said. And it's all about the knees. Bend them some more. Probably a lot more.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Less edge angle will help too - unless you're carving very hard you're not going to get your edge into the hard stuff as well as you would normally, so use a bit of base to give you more surface area to ride on.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AlpineAddict, Glad I'm not the only one!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, I knew this one would come up Smile

stevomcd, I think it is a natural reaction to lean backwards when you feel the board going form under you... Must try harder, thx Smile

jiagedaping, I did try that, but I guess not enough... I barely got on the stuff and whoooooosh, I was away...

Oh well, thx folks
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AlpineAddict, don't be too hard on yourself. There were some brutal ice patches in PdS over the last weekend until the snow came back on Sunday. I have two suggestions. The first one is sharper edges. I know you had your board serviced but if the edges weren't sharp enough, that will have had a massive effect on your stability on hard ice. One day's riding on ice is enough to dull your edges so if you found you were ok on day one and got worse over the week - the edges could be implicated.

The second suggestion is basically what stevomcd, and Lizzard, said, but I'd also add that it is important to load your edges positively in icy conditions. That means you need to attack the hill more and commit to the turns. If the edge doesn't get loaded hard enough at the start of a turn transition, you can skid for miles on ice before it ever digs in. On the other hand, if you load the edge well at the start of the turn, the board is more likely to stick and carve around rather than skid.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Technique-wise, what they said. If you hit an icy patch and your lose your edge, you shouldn't go down if you're in the right place. If you're banked right over you would, but you're unlikely to be comitted that hard if the surface isn't good anyway. Translation: don't push hard in the turn if you're riding on a poor surface, treat it with respect.

I always sharpen my own edges, and I don't detune them, but then I ride raceboards... which are good at riding icy courses by design. Most snowboards are designed for park tricks. If you're riding reverse camber that would make it harder I think.

True ice is no fun for anyone but is extremely rare on public slopes.

Icy patches... the standard trick is to.... not turn on the patches. I know it sounds obvious, but most people don't do it
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

the standard trick is to.... not turn on the patches

That thing. Ride the sides of the piste not the middle and avoid corners which get heavy traffic.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowboard on powder days and ski on icy days! wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OferF'sake!!!! rolling eyes You can board on glacial ice (ie. Tignes, Summer) You just have to relax and absorb rather than stiffen and fight. The more you avoid it the more frightening it gets, go find the crappy stuff and practice riding it. It will do wonders for your technique on the rest of the hill. Snowboarding is not some sort of 'easy option', it requires just as much effort and skills acquisition as the 'plankers'. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
grow up, it was a joke! hence the wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thx all... I think it was just that it was a very steep section and was immediatly over a crest, where we always stopped (for some reason), so it was always as soon as we got up, we hit Ice.. Guess I need to grow some balls and lean into things more as opposed to leaning back and wooooooosh !!!! Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Technique is a funny one. I learnt to board in Scotland, so my habitual technique was quite loose, meaning that I always keep my knees bent and some spring in my back. I look like a monkey riding a board. However when the sound effects tell me its ice, I have the right balance to shove the edge a bit further in for a turn.

However I took a lesson (the first in 6 years) at the Snowheads bash in Kronplatz. (Note: constant well groomed powder) with a one time Olympic boarder (allegedly). He spent the full hour trying to get me to straighten up! Its good fun and do-able on powder. Hit ice and you've nothing to turn with.

Out of sheer madness, I took another lesson in France later in the season, and that instructor said my stance was excellent, and spent the entire lesson trying to teach my daughter to relax and bend her knees on the board...like Dad...
Different strokes..
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Strax, my mantra on the board is " make like a monkey" Laughing
ski holidays
I absolutely agree with the mass here, defiantly sounds like a posture issue, try and imagine you're (excuse the crude) taking a dump strapped into your board, but you don't want any to land on your beautiful deck so your back bottom must overhang the edge!! That should put you in roughly the right position, also try to keep your feet flat through your boots to the board. it's killer on the legs until they man up....
snow conditions
Quote:

taking a dump strapped into your board, but you don't want any to land on your beautiful deck so your back bottom must overhang the edge!!

No, no and double, triple no!

Buttocks/hips stay over heels as much as possible. "Dumping" is very old-school technique and now strongly discouraged as it puts the c of g outside the edge of the board.
snow report
robapplegate, throw fruit at people and show your bottom to passing females? Laughing
latest report
Stevomcd
Is it? Old school ehh? Yes I see your point though, but not entirely convinced as your anus is not directly under you as you squat but out a little. I do agree with keeping the centre of gravity inline and over your bindings (it can't be stressed enough the same as having your knees bent).
I'm not at home at the mo' but when I get back I'll make a complicated system of plumb lines and mirrors Puzzled and get back on this.
snow conditions
Lizzard, Normal behaviuor for some of us Toofy Grin
Centre of gravity will depend not just on position of anus but also shoulders, arms etc. Why not pretend you're picking up a fag butt off the floor for twosies as you take a dump, should keep you CoG about right. Or maybe one of the pieces of fruit I threw earlier Laughing
snow report
On one of my trips my instructor had a fun little game to play with us.

On a fairly gentle slope, he had us stick our arms out like we were being crucified, but otherwise in a normal snowboarding stance. He then had us bend at the waist till our hands touched the front of the board, and then again at the back. If you weren't perfectly balanced, you fell over.
Not terribly technical, and its easy to cheat and adjust as you go down. But if you think you are balanced, its a really good way to check it.
latest report
Quote:

"Dumping" is very old-school technique and now strongly discouraged as it puts the c of g outside the edge of the board.

That's not really true from a purely mathmatical point of view. Whatever position you adopt, your CoG will stay within the base area of the board, otherwise you will just fall over. If you put more weight backwards off the heel side, then you just end up putting more of your upper body weight over the toe side to compensate. If on the other hand you keep your buttocks over your heels, you end up keeping your torso more upright to compensate.
latest report
monkey, when you're moving in a turn, your c of g can be outside the base of your board without you falling over as there are forces other than gravity acting on you.

It makes you very vulnerable to being knocked off balance by changes in terrain though (which is why it's discouraged). As you say, it also leads to "breaking at the waist" and to less edge angle as you can't keep your balance at higher leans.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy