Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying my first board, options?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I've been on one snowboard holiday to morzine earlier in the year and loved it. I plan to hit the indoor slopes over the summer with a view to go on another holiday next year.

Having got the bug, I'm really torn about whether to get some gear. Since I started I have just used rental gear, but I keep on hearing that rental gear isn't the best. So I'm thinking if I am going to make a habit of this...why not fork out some cash and get my own stuff. I already have some boots, just after a board and bindings.

What are your thoughts? Am I silly buying gear or shall I keep on renting?

I've been to a couple shops and seen some deals on old season stuff. Such as:

K2 lifelike
K2 anagram
K2 ray gun

Plus many more. Generally going for 50% of the retail price at the start of the season. Despite this it isn't cheap. Just struggling to justify spending the money.

Thoughts?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chaniobi,
Buy gear if you can afford to; I started on an Anagram & now have a 'raygun'; Anagram is a good place to start , if you're interested in buying a second hand one pm me.
Mitch
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Id have a look on Ebay for some cheap second hand stuff for your first board, see whats available then do abit of research on them. I got a forum Manual with Burton bindings for around £120 and it seems infinity better than the rental boards especially as Ive had abit of time to get used to it now.

It doesnt have to be the best board though, look what this guy can do on this thing:

Colton Maddy Kmart Board #2 from Graphic Science
http://vimeo.com/66612120
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
buying last season (or even before that) is a great way to get some good gear and progress. Rental gear Im guessing is not the best unless you stay at a sponsored chalet such as Rude Chalets.??

I bought a 3 season old Custom wide this year for 70% off and its an amazing board. Much better idea than spending a little more for a lower grade board just because it is next years model

Go for it, you wont regret it!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chaniobi, Yup, go for last season or even the one before top line board and you can't go wrong. Don't fall into the hype of the next best gimmick(sp?) Buy a traditional camber/rocker board with a normal edge profile . . . this means that you learn all the standard skills for board control without developing the bad habits that some of the more market hyped kit will give you. By all means buy into the BS once you have the skills to break the rules but to begin with, a really well made 'vanilla' snowboard is a great and long lasting tool to learn on and develop with . . . and don't skimp on the boots and bindings. Find the best fitting boots you can and go for mid range or better bindings, same rule apply, last season high end, will give you a full season's worth or 6 years+ of trips . . . good value for money. . . . welcome to the Zen of snowsport Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It depends where you rent your stuff. You can rent the best of this year's gear, and if it's not brand new or properly serviced then get them to sort it out. I've heard from people on here that that isn't true in some parts of Europe, but in North America it's not a problem at all.

The advantage of renting, other than not having to lug your boards about, not having to service them, and not having them depreciate rapidly, is that you can pick and choose what you ride. I rent powder boards all the time, hence each season I check out what's around and pick the best board from that year's selection to ride. I have my own quiver of powder boards too, but mostly I rent for these reasons.

As far as buying stuff's concerned... after a week or two's riding you're probably still a beginner, so you need to buy a board that's good for beginners. If you're any good then you should improve rapidly at that point, so you will likely outgrow the board fairly quickly. In another week or two your experience will have doubled, and you may need a more advanced board at that point. Factor the cost of renting for a couple of weeks against buying and selling a new board and you'll see why buying is an expensive option. It's worse if you buy a board without trying it first, as it may simply be the wrong size or otherwise not what good for you at this stage. With boards you don't "grow into" them - if they're hard to ride, they're hard to learn on. See the number of threads on the net about people asking what size board to buy and you'll understand how common a problem this is.

If you're rich then I guess you can buy a handful of boards in the UK, take them to a resort, then throw away all but the best one.

My advice would be to spend the money on good lessons, rent different boards, take advice from your instructor on what you're riding and what might work. Then try a few boards so you get a feel for what works for you. When you find something you're happy with then buy it. Don't buy at the start of the season or in the UK unless you don't mind paying more than you need to.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

My advice would be to spend the money on good lessons, rent different boards, take advice from your instructor on what you're riding and what might work. Then try a few boards so you get a feel for what works for you. When you find something you're happy with then buy it. Don't buy at the start of the season or in the UK unless you don't mind paying more than you need to.

My advice would be to NOT rent in Europe. You do not have a real choice of boards 99% of the time and will be lucky to get one in the right size let alone pick anythign else! Unless philwig can recomend some good places to hire from in Europe?

Buy yourself a last-season mid-range intermediate board in traditional camber/rocker and it should do you just fine for a few years.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

don't skimp on the boots and bindings. Find the best fitting boots you can and go for mid range or better bindings

cheers for the help everyone. I've had a good scan through the bindings and spoilt for choice tbh. Any idea on how the flow bindings are? Found a decent deal on the nitro zero bindings, anyone had experience with them?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flow bindings are about as marmite as you can get. Some love, some hate. Not tried nitro bindings.

Buy your boots first.

This will to some degree affect your choice of binding. My first boots were paired up with some Burton Missions, changed boots and found that my boot would slide around sideways in the bindings and eventually had to change them for some Union Forces which i quite like (although they've got a couple of issues). So boots first, then bindings to fit.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good point. I've got a pair of size 9 Thirtytwo 86ft boots. Never thought about the fact that different boots may fit better or worse in certain brands of binding!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chaniobi, if you can head into a local shop and try different brands it'll give you some idea of compatability - you might even bag a bargain at this time of year.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy