Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Double ski bag advice/recommendations please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hiya

OH and I have just bought our own skis ready to go to Italy on Saturday but the shop didn't have any double ski bags left, so I'm hoping to order some online for delivery by Friday.

Just after some advice on what are good makes, and whether the hard cases last better or protect better, or are they likely to be cracked if handled badly at the airport like I've had a suitcase get cracked? Am I best to get a soft one with lots of padding?

I've seen some posts about max weight of a bag and am wondering how much two sets of skis and poles weigh?

Thanks

Debbie
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151010173665
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160991730704
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190813239646
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
debbiem,

2 sets of skis (one cross country), 2 pairs of boots (one XC again), 2 pairs poles, a few items of clothing (trousers, jacket, fleece) in a big double ski bag weigh about 19kg. My bag is an Evoc Snow Roller (softish padded roller bag) which I would recommend. You do need to watch the weight of the bag itself as some of the bigger/grander ones weigh a fair bit on their own. Another major consideration is how long your skis are. Both mine and Mrs M's are quite long, so we had to choose carefully. Most bags are OK with diddy little carvers, but Mrs M's XC skis are about 2m and as I a bit heavy git mine are about the same.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
debbiem,

Yup, with 2 sets of alpine skis+boots+poles you'll be over the 20kg limit (at least on Ryanair that's the limit).

I have a Snow+Rock branded roller bag and am very pleased with it.
Similar to this one from EB I'd say: http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/eb-team-edition-double-roller/6519

I pack 2 skis + poles + and anything else (jackets, pants, backpacks) up to the 20kg limit.
And take the boot bag (with boots + helmet + goggles) as my hand luggage - they're quite compact and never had problems at check-in / boarding.

I once packed a pair of boots in there too, but found it was unbalanced and hence very unpractical to move around Geneva airport at a busy time (for those part were you cannot pull it but have to lift it)

I recommend to get one with wheels...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just a word about the EB/TSA own brand bags, I'm using their non-wheelie snowboard bag, and halfway through the return journey on my first trip with it across the Swiss railway network the shoulder strap detached from the bag. At the start of the second one, the second strap mounting point came off, and its about to have its final 3rd trip this weekend before retirement. That was with 13kg of board and associated clothing plus boots in, and as far as I could see, no manufacturing defects. They're not really designed for serious carrying, but they're fine if you're just doing airport trolley and carrying into the resort or home from the car type stuff and because they don't look very fancy they don't attract much attention from the minority of light-fingered ones amongst the baggage handlers.

Thus it's definitely worth getting the roller version to keep the weight off your shoulder and the strap mounting points! I find wrapping my pants and jacket around either end of the board protects it as well as any padded bag would do.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got the dakine fall-line bag. Had it four years and done a season in which I travelled across Switzerland by train and bus weekly from resort to resort. It's still going strong and not a rip or tear on it despite the abuse and my ability to load it up beyond 25 kilo's regularly. Bomb-proof bag and well worth the money.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got the Dakine Concourse - you can get 2 weeks worth of kit in this and travel with just hand luggage. It is massive. Most I've had is about 40kg weight-wise (needed some crafty footwork at the airport scales).

I gave my brother the fall line, as I thought the concourse was just a bit too big (it encourages me to take way too much). He had problems getting his boots in, the pockets were just a bit too tight. Maybe they've improved this more recently?

I'd recommend testing them boot pocket out before puchase
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy