Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zoooooooooooom!

Poster: A snowHead
Alright. You have a steepish piste and then a long flat/uphill. You want as much zoom as you can cope with without losing it, or you'll have a long walk. Which is, of course, tedious.

After browsing a thread which degenerated into a discussion of pole tapping, I noticed a reference to 'punter tuck'. I'm certain I do this. Sounds fun.

Anyway - what are the various methods used in the above situation? What exactly is a 'punter tuck', and why is it inferior to whatever is the better approach? Why do some people cross their hands behind their back (tending not to duck forward/low as much)? How do kids sit on the back of their skis without their knees exploding?

And how does my friend on a snowboard accelerate on flats? Do expert boarders have some secret power?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know how to answer this!
I have never analysed exactly what I do to maintain momentum and avoid poling. I am not a great skier by any means but seem somehow to have gained the knack of being able to glide forever. Maybe its inate laziness on my part?
I know I make an effort to stay centred on my skis and stay parallel, other than that it seems I just let the skis run beneath me.
No help whatsoever! Sorry x
As for boarders secret power, if you discover it, can you please send it on to my other half please? Often either he takes my poles or I end up towing him on the flats!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The most obvious sign is poles sticking up in the air meaning you haven't got down low enough with your hands out in front of you, elbows tucked in and poles roughly parallel with the snow (I think). Something like this

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As opposed to

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Claude B wrote:
As opposed to

Ahha ... so if you were going for a mini zoooom as opposed to a pro ZOOOOOOM is it acceptable to not get so low and poles in air? Or is pole air bad practice either way?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
OliviaDB wrote:
How do kids sit on the back of their skis without their knees exploding?

I can do that. Getting up again is the tricky part.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was taught (many moons ago) to tuck into an egg shape and place your elbows in front/on your knee caps Claude B, love the pic of the girl with her jacket tied round her waist. Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Or is pole air bad practice either way?

ET Home Phone with the poles is bad, either way. Just think to put hands forward when tucked and you won't look silly.

Most punter tucks are also a snowplough too, but they don't realise it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OliviaDB, It's acceptable not to wear a latex suit Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OliviaDB wrote:

Ahha ... so if you were going for a mini zoooom as opposed to a pro ZOOOOOOM is it acceptable to not get so low and poles in air? Or is pole air bad practice either way?

pro ZOOOOOM is always going to be preferable to avoid looking like a punter.... apparently
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No tuck at all is preferable to a punter's tuck, I believe.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pedantica wrote:
No tuck at all is preferable to a punter's tuck, I believe.

... but ... surely that leads to a long walk?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OliviaDB, if you're not doing it properly you're not going to be adding any significant speed anyway - might as well just assume a normal, well flexed skiing stance. But a proper tuck isn't difficult to assume - if I can do it (which I can, comfortably) then you can!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swissie, I think it's a little unfair to compare her to the speedster, since she's clearly on XC kit.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
poles and arms behind the back offers a bit of wind resistance advantage and looks satisfying casual. It's always satisfying to blast past a punter tucker while being very relaxed although in my case I usually have an..erm...physics based advantage anyway.
snow conditions

This kind of Zoom will help Toofy Grin
latest report
Morioka Shitsequeshi tuck by one of the yanks on long flat course is poles out straight behind your backside in a tuck.
latest report
Is there a word for when you tuck too soon, get too much speed and bail before you hit the flat part?
snow report
Claude B wrote:
OliviaDB, It's acceptable not to wear a latex suit Toofy Grin
Oh don't tell her that!
It's the funniest bit Wink

The ONLY way to avoid accusations of punter tuck with all the pointing and the staring and the laughing behind your back, OliviaDB, is to wear latex at all times Wink
latest report
Yes for the ladies, latex suits and Darth Vadar Helmets are all the go these days. The hardest part is deciding wether to go commando or not. No risk no fun, you just have to decide wether you would rather risk VPL or camel toe. wink
latest report
This is how to zoom...

http://youtube.com/v/4NnkhMGXrp8
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
This is how to zoom...

http://youtube.com/v/4NnkhMGXrp8

THAT, I can do!
ski holidays
spyderjon, fortunately she has it Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Do expert boarders have some secret power?

Better boards, faster bases.
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

No then? Do expert boarders have a decent reason for sitting down about 4mm after they fall (erm I mean dismount) from the chairlift?
snow report
Quote:

Do expert boarders have a decent reason for sitting down about 4mm after they fall (erm I mean dismount) from the chairlift?

Actually, I find the off ramp of chairlifts more often cluttered up by a gang of skiers (who have already delayed things once by insisting on sitting beside their best friends) fiddling with their sticks.
snow report
They're not necessarily trying to sit with their friends - they're trying *not* to sit next to you! I've lost track of the number of times I've seen a clumsy boarder just knock a skier out of the way because they have no idea how to get off the lift safely. Some can do it very elegantly, but many just seem unable or unwilling to even try.
ski holidays
Thornyhill wrote:
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

No then? Do expert boarders have a decent reason for sitting down about 4mm after they fall (erm I mean dismount) from the chairlift?

Those wouldn't be experts. The guys I've skied with (them boarding) seem to clear the area better than me. Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Actually, I find the off ramp of chairlifts more often cluttered up by a gang of skiers (who have already delayed things once by insisting on sitting beside their best friends) fiddling with their sticks.

That. And stop waving your sticks about at eye level as well. Twisted Evil
snow report
Quote:

I think it's a little unfair to compare her to the speedster, since she's clearly on XC kit.

yes, well spotted, those disapproving remarks are misplaced. I have just been watching some competitors in the Championnat de France of long distance cross-country skiing and on the downhill sections their stance was a bit more bent over than that (bent at the hips, rather than tucked) and their poles more symmetrical but they were definitely pointing up, much like the girl in that photo. If it's good enough for the best French nordic skiers.......
ski holidays
Lizzard, wouldn't be eye level if you were not sitting down about 4mm after falling (erm, I mean 'dismounting') from the chairlift. Very Happy
snow conditions
RattytheSnowRat, I haven't fallen off a chairlift in five years. Do not use your sticks to point to things/wave at your mates/etc.

Story: got on chairlift with rude fat bird and smallish child. Bird rolled eyes and made all sorts of loud remarks to child about rubbish boarders, always fall off, will knock you over etc etc. I get off at the top as usual then turn round to find that fat bird has fallen over and taken out her own offspring, and the lifty has had to stop the line while she sorts herself out. Skiers, natch. Laughing
snow report
Lizzard, Laughing I once boarded down to our chairlift, passing 3 skiers who were so bad that I overtook them. The piste, and the lift, were both completely deserted apart from the 4 of us. I lined up to get on the chair, then found to my dismay that aforementioned skiers were getting on with me - I was just too slow to realise, and wait behind. I did warn them on the way up that I was a beginner and quite likely to fall at the top. "Oh no," they said "you'll be fine". Little did they know. Anyway, I did get smoothly off the chair but they were both sides of me and I had no idea where they were going and had already seen that they weren't much good, so I just got out of the way and flopped down to wait for them to clear the area.

Why they got on a lift with a snowboarder, when the entire place was deserted, I shall never know. Anyway, have now given up boarding (fractured pelvis makes one aware of one's vulnerabilities wink ) but the experience was fun, and very useful. All skiers should try it.
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
RattytheSnowRat, I haven't fallen off a chairlift in five years. Do not use your sticks to point to things/wave at your mates/etc.

Story: got on chairlift with rude fat bird and smallish child. Bird rolled eyes and made all sorts of loud remarks to child about rubbish boarders, always fall off, will knock you over etc etc. I get off at the top as usual then turn round to find that fat bird has fallen over and taken out her own offspring, and the lifty has had to stop the line while she sorts herself out. Skiers, natch. Laughing

We had the stupid mother small child situ - sitting far left, decided to exit immediate right. Couldn't say exactly what thought because small child might have been traumatized. Took acrobatics not to take child out (mother shoved in front of - like pushing pram into road to stop traffic). *grumble grumble*

They were skiers.

It's stupid people, not equipment specific, right?
snow conditions
Is it only me who shouts "KEBABS! " at idiots flailing their poles about? Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
snowyowl, yes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy