Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Downhill skiing in Antarctica? A rare photo

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not sure I've ever seen a photo of downhill ski tracks on Antarctic snow (the pristine environment is protected by strict controls which limit tourists to very low numbers) but here's one, published today...

Quote:
A downhill ski run photographed from an over-snow vehicle near New Zealand's Scott Base on Ross Island in Antarctica

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/20/42/05/4333940/3/628x471.jpg

Accompanying story: Antarctica concerns grow as tourism numbers rise
http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Antarctica-concerns-grow-as-tourism-numbers-rise-4363161.php#photo-4333940
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Comedy Goldsmith, really? There is a cruise that goes there every couple of years that is massively well publicised and has much more exciting skiing than that. Lots of ski celeb guides and the like. Not to mention a cottage industry in sail-ski trips.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris Davenport has been down there a few times, he says it's amazing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
meh, you're quite right. Had a quick Google ...

Source:
http://www.tetonat.com/2009/07/27/iceaxetvs-2009-antarctic-ski-cruise/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

See this TR on TGR (with no simple link because the SH forum software can't cope with links containing brackets rolling eyes)

Shame about the price tags of those sorts of trips... probably won't be something I'll get to do unless my other half becomes particularly rich one day wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe not that expensive. A friend of mine got back after being away December and January and he's unemployed. Still French unemployment benefit is excessive. He's just one of a few locals I've heard of going there this year. Antarctica is the new Greenland, in fact I'll have to add it to the punter list. Most people seem to sail from South America.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking at iceaxe's prices, which are probably representative, they'll sell you three weeks in Antarctica with a guide and a boat for $18k, leaving from Ushuaia, which means you'll also need to spend a 4 figure sum for return flights from somewhere less exciting.

Half that amount of money will buy you a lot of very good skiing elsewhere in the world.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Serriadh, I remember reading that trip report and wishfully thinking how great it would be to.

Plenty of sking going on down there.

Comedy Goldsmith, its always surprising what you can learn on snowHead Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
French unemployment benefit is excessive.

So I'd been told. Yet to receive a single centime though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
So I'd been told. Yet to receive a single centime though.

You need to not work harder.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy