Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Umpf. That can't be the last week. (Tignes, again)

Poster: A snowHead
Well, last week in Tignes was very different to the PSB. Didn't recognise half the runs, and there were several that definitely weren't there during the PSB. They were building all sorts of terrifying looking jumps for the X games, too. A brilliant week, though with a group rather prone to long lunches. Had a couple of lessons with a New Gen guy, failed to traumatise him with my humour/innuendo and learned loads too. (Actually a really decent instructor (Joe, Tignes) - he took most of the rest of the group in the mornings, and it was infuriating how fast they progressed. {Yes, I'm competitive and selfish. And self-aware.})

I prefer the Mooserwirt to the Folie Douce. But it was OK, as apres ski goes. Refused to buy any drinks as they charged to use the loo (only 50c, but I had to go back for my wallet despite being moderately desperate and was annoyed). Actually, this was the first resort where it seemed common to charge for use of toilets in the various restaurants. Is this a new thing, or a Tignes/ Val thing?

Spent much of the week focusing on my short turns, which somehow deleted any ability to carve/do larger turns from my brain. Annoying.

Also - had far too much fun. I was painfully happy, and the no-more skiing till December crash is already horrible.
So. Current goals are:
1) Sneaky long weekends this year
2) Finding cheap good places for late season/summer skiing (if they exist)
3) Working out how to affordably work from a ski slope for a few months (since I'm too grumpy to chalet host, need to keep up my business now it's just got rolling, and want to ski most days if poss)
4) Get decent. None of this fannying around as a post-beginner. I've wasted far too many years not skiing, and need to catch up. Tempted to aim for a basic instructor course, not because I think I'd ever be good enough to teach, but because have found teaching other things has dramatically improved my own skills. Could be a little too much of a reach, though, considering where I'm at. (Must post something in the Bend Ze Knees place at some point ...)

Nicest photo of the week? Hmm. No particularly special ones, but a few I'm fond of:

A couple of self portraits: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/imsomebodyelse/pics%20innit/P1030743b_zps62ce9303.jpg (photoshopped to remove my arm from reflection)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/imsomebodyelse/pics%20innit/P1030745_zpse659b060.jpg

The flying-ski people: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/imsomebodyelse/pics%20innit/P1030790_zps1a97c846.jpg
Nearly the last lift home: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/imsomebodyelse/pics%20innit/P1030821_zps77165cd8.jpg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glad you had a lovely time. Very Happy
To further some of your goals, how about some clinics at Hemel with skimottaret and rob@rar aka http://www.insideoutskiing.com/ ? I guarantee they will move you forward, as well as tell you if/when you might be ready to do BASI 1.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pedantica wrote:
Glad you had a lovely time. Very Happy
To further some of your goals, how about some clinics at Hemel with skimottaret and rob@rar aka http://www.insideoutskiing.com/ ? I guarantee they will move you forward, as well as tell you if/when you might be ready to do BASI 1.

Ooh. Interesting. Will check them out. Though a quick look at their website suggests they only do Monday/Sat (Monday out because of work, Saturday is a senior jiu-jitsu session - ANY other days (except Tues) would have worked) ... and at £99 a day, not something I can do regularly. Will have to explore their website more thoroughly...

Thank you Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Is this a new thing, or a Tignes/ Val thing?

it's a French thing the recession has obviously resurrected. Post war the little old ladies used to clean the toilets, not get a wage and were left tips. This morphed into highly aggressive old ladies charging people to use the toilets. This seemed to disappear; I would guess because the French Govt. came down on it as a tax avoidance scam (little old ladies (‘LOL’) not being the most paperwork orientated individuals) and also because of the EU work law harmonisation – or possibly because they annoyed one French President to many by insisting he pay to use the pissoir. In any event, they seemed to disappear. Lately they seem to be making a comeback. There’s even a harridan on the toilets at Bourg St Maurice station, ffs. I suspect it’s all a scam in that they are not actually legally allowed to charge as LOL’s BUT it might be a way that the various managements’ are squeezing an extra cent out of the tourists and the LOL could be an employee?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OliviaDB, 50% of your first lesson with inside out, if your a snowhead, at the moment. wink
http://www.insideoutskiing.com/snowheads/index.php?page=snowheads&tracking=snowheads
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
Quote:

Is this a new thing, or a Tignes/ Val thing?

it's a French thing the recession has obviously resurrected. Post war the little old ladies used to clean the toilets, not get a wage and were left tips. This morphed into highly aggressive old ladies charging people to use the toilets. This seemed to disappear; I would guess because the French Govt. came down on it as a tax avoidance scam (little old ladies (‘LOL’) not being the most paperwork orientated individuals) and also because of the EU work law harmonisation – or possibly because they annoyed one French President to many by insisting he pay to use the pissoir. In any event, they seemed to disappear. Lately they seem to be making a comeback. There’s even a harridan on the toilets at Bourg St Maurice station, ffs. I suspect it’s all a scam in that they are not actually legally allowed to charge as LOL’s BUT it might be a way that the various managements’ are squeezing an extra cent out of the tourists and the LOL could be an employee?

Hmm ... genuinely peeved me enough that I'd happily react disproportionately and ski elsewhere. When I'm paying 5€ for a hot chocolate and 7€ for chips, charging for the toilet rubs my fur the wrong way. Anyone know if it's appearing at all other French resorts? Austrian?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
anarchicsaltire wrote:
OliviaDB, 50% of your first lesson with inside out, if your a snowhead, at the moment. wink
http://www.insideoutskiing.com/snowheads/index.php?page=snowheads&tracking=snowheads

Happy That would be useful. Now just need to find a Saturday when I'm free! Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Tempted to aim for a basic instructor course, not because I think I'd ever be good enough to teach, but because have found teaching other things has dramatically improved my own skills. Could be a little too much of a reach, though, considering where I'm at. (Must post something in the Bend Ze Knees place at some point ...)

Personally I think this is an excellent idea. Some of the best entry level instructors are definitely not the best skiers, so don't let your current perceived level of ability put you off - you're good enough. The instructor course will, if it's anything like as good as mine, completely revolutionize your own skiing and give you a fantastic new skill: the ability to understand why you (or someone else) is skiing like they are and how to make it better. So once the course is over you'll still be able to improve yourself even if you don't take any further instructor tuition (but I got hooked and keep going back for more).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kieranm wrote:
Quote:

Tempted to aim for a basic instructor course, not because I think I'd ever be good enough to teach, but because have found teaching other things has dramatically improved my own skills. Could be a little too much of a reach, though, considering where I'm at. (Must post something in the Bend Ze Knees place at some point ...)

Personally I think this is an excellent idea. Some of the best entry level instructors are definitely not the best skiers, so don't let your current perceived level of ability put you off - you're good enough. The instructor course will, if it's anything like as good as mine, completely revolutionize your own skiing and give you a fantastic new skill: the ability to understand why you (or someone else) is skiing like they are and how to make it better. So once the course is over you'll still be able to improve yourself even if you don't take any further instructor tuition (but I got hooked and keep going back for more).

Thank you for the bolded bit.

When I get a bit more time, and work out which part of the forum to post in, I might ask for advice on seasoning it/learning to teach.

Gah! The whole being an adult running a business malarkey does seem to interfere with my determined plans to have fun. Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OliviaDB, the very small sweet you were given with the meal gave you a free trip to the bog.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cynic wrote:
OliviaDB, the very small sweet you were given with the meal gave you a free trip to the bog.

Sweet? You got given sweets?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sweets?
Sound more like laxatives to me Wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anywhere that charges me to pee I make sure I urinate round the back of and ensure I splash the woodwork (admittedly not brave enough to try Victoria Station yet but I have jumped the turnstile in emergency for want of change).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OliviaDB, the season is not over until, the EoSB - The last post seems virtually a personal invitation to you
(I honestly didn't make this up)
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=90364&start=760#2262276
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
badmin wrote:
OliviaDB, the season is not over until, the EoSB - The last post seems virtually a personal invitation to you
(I honestly didn't make this up)
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=90364&start=760#2262276

It does, it does! I only have 2 days holiday left though Sad , which while it gets me a week (part-timer), would be a little risky to take now, since it doesn't renew till Jan.
ski holidays
Thought u were 'running a business malarkey'?
Time to implement a 'work from, ahem, home' regime.
snow report
badmin wrote:
Thought u were 'running a business malarkey'?
Time to implement a 'work from, ahem, home' regime.

I do. But because life as a freelancer is terrifying, I do two days in an office to ensure I can eat even if I get no freelance work. (Pays a lot better too, but boring as hell.)
latest report
Oh, that's easy then - 2 days off sick is far more plausible without a note from your Mum than a whole week.
snow report
badmin wrote:
Oh, that's easy then - 2 days off sick is far more plausible without a note from your Mum than a whole week.

Just avoid the goggle tan this time? wink
ski holidays
just walk straight past the pay to pee signs......I was in Tignes/Val d'Isere last week and never paid once Smile
snow conditions
NE1, they've put turnstiles for you in the Datcha
snow conditions
OliviaDB wrote:

Hmm ... genuinely peeved me enough that I'd happily react disproportionately and ski elsewhere. When I'm paying 5€ for a hot chocolate and 7€ for chips, charging for the toilet rubs my fur the wrong way. Anyone know if it's appearing at all other French resorts? Austrian?

I've not noticed any charges for peeing at mountain huts in Austria or Italy, although I've only had half a dozen trips to both.

We did get charged to pee at a service station in Austria though. I paid well through fear the lady may castrate me, she was so scary she made Rose Klebb look like a fluffy bunny.
snow report
Quote:

Anyone know if it's appearing at all other French resorts? Austrian?

No fee to wee anywhere around Serre Che & Monty in January. Also very nice WCs at the base of Monty and Le Grave I thought. Italian holes in the floor not so much.

No charge anywhere in St Anton, Lech and Zurs that I noticed.

WCs generally much nicer than I remember them being a few years ago.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy