Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying skis without boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We have decided to get my wife skis but for her to continue hiring boots. I know this is the wrong way round, but there are good reasons for it.

Is there an issue in getting the skis and binding set up if she is going to use different boots every holiday? I know the binding can adjust, but does that throw off the centering of the boot on the ski?

Many thanks for any advice.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Is there an issue in getting the skis and binding set up if she is going to use different boots every holiday?

some shops will refuse to sell you skis unless you can give them a boot for them to set up the bindings. Simple way round this is to borrow a boot from a friend, the right size.

Then there's no issue and you can get them set up each time by the shop where you hire the boots. The bindings will have enough adjustment to cope.

I think if you buy skis online you can give them the sole length and your stats.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lorenzo.

I see your in Scotland. Greaves sports had some unbelievably cheap ladies boots (lange for £60 last time I was in).

One thing would be to go in with your wife. Say you want skis just now but would like a measurement for a boot. then buy the skis based on the boot size. I find all the Scottish shops are great if your up front with them EG EB in Braehead, Rob in Blues Glasgow is great.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies. I have plans to get skis in Blues in Perth. I know them pretty well. Part of the reason is that they are currently the same price as about two hires, and I have space in ski bag for an extra set when we travel. I'll speak to them and I'm sure she can try a boot for size to get the initial sizing done. Anyone else looking for a bargain should give Blues a visit. They are below 50% in some cases.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lorenzo, be aware that hiring boots on their own can be surprisingly expensive. Don't seem so bad as part of a package.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If the binding is on an adjustable track, you should be fine, but you'll need to check the forward pressure every time you change boots, if you have to adjust by much, it would be good practice to check the dins also.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, Hmm you're right, I assumed they would not be more than the add-on when hiring skis. Will have to check it out. Thanks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blues have a 70% sale just now. And a further 10% with an outdoor experience card.

Caccchhhhhiiiing Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy