Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Isola 2000 HELP

Poster: A snowHead
Couple of questions :

We are arriving at 12 in the afternoon next Saturday but our apartments don't open their reception until 17:00 for check in, does anyone know if there are lockers available to hold our luggage for the afternoon so we can get some skiing in ?

Also, any recommendations on places to eat while we are there ?

thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
final patsy, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead It's normally not possible to get access to apartments before 4 or 5 o'clock. How are you arriving? I don't know about Isola but when we did something similar in Valmeinier they had a room we could put stuff in and change. No lockers though - just a big room full of everybody's stuff. Have your ski things easily accessible and don't take any valuables you can't stick in a backpack and take with you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi thanks for replying. We are on the ski bus from Nice. I'll put all our ski gear to the top of the bags so we are ready to go and take your advise re valuables.

We are staying at apartments C2A if anyone has any other info ...

thanks snowheads
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was there the other weekend and couldn't see anything at or around P1 - I just left all my stuff in the car. It's one of the big day resorts round there with Auron, Valberg and to a point Greolieres too.

Seems odd not to have lockers for a day resort but everyone just turns up on the ski bus and goes home again, or does the car thing. Are you planning to try out any of the others in the area as well?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi, We are flying from Ireland for the week, so will have luggage and don't fancy sitting around for the afternoon when we could be getting some practise in before Sunday...

still looking so....

would you recommend any of the other resorts ??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've not managed to board the others yet, but Auron could well be included on your lift pass if you have a Stations du Mercantour one rather than just an Isola specific pass. Auron has a more aesthetically appealing village, and to be honest both there and Isola are interchangable for the locals. They're geographically pretty close. I'm pretty sure you can get on the ski bus and go to Auron. Have a look at the piste map on their website and see what you think Smile Isola is relatively small, so if you find you want a change of scenery later in the week it could be an option.

I loved the Isola blue runs because they're wide but still have trees on either side, they're gradual and they're really good for building confidence. If there's a boarder in your midst then there's not many flat bits so they'll appreciate that Wink The lifts are pretty vintage but they all work, and they're not overwhelmed by people by any means. The gondola from P1 is pretty quiet and ends up in more or less the same place as the one from the centre and it's a pretty compact resort so getting between the two isn't a problem.

If the weather closes in and you don't fancy the pistes or you fancy a change hop on the ski bus back into Nice - you can get the shuttle from the airport to the railway station and go pretty much anywhere along the coast from there as well. Isola's location is pretty much unbeatable from that point of view.

The locals are avid users of the ski bus and they obviously do weekends up there too so I'd be surprised if the C2A apartments didn't have some kind of arrangement for you to leave your things there.

Have a great time! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are some lockers in a cabin in the centre close to where you buy lift passes, though I think they are just for skis. Never really investigated them. Not sure how long you can hire them for either.
The apartments we use in Isola do have a room where you can store cases before entering the apartment, but no idea about the ones you are staying at.
There are a few places to eat and a few bars in the centre, but the night life isn't great, at all. It is a very quiet resort, mainly because no ski companies go there and there seem to be a lot of families.
All the bars by the slopes serve food and aren't that expensive, but it's not a pretty resort buildings wise.

We have been every year for the past 6 years and are actually going next Saturday for a week as well.
We actually chose it because we have two boys, who are now 6 and 8 and so were 6 months and 2 when we first went and so we wanted a quiet resort.
They first learnt to ski there and last year were skiing the easier reds.

I was a bit dubious about going to a resort so far south at first, bit we have always had brilliant snow conditions, and they look even better this year.
The resort caters for most skiers and actually is bigger than it first seems.
I have skied many resorts around Europe and really enjoy Isola, but I am getting older now and have a young family wink. The lift system is good and there are never any queues, even during 'busy' periods.
It probably is best for intermediates, there are only a few black runs, but they are very difficult and some of the reds are comparable to blacks in other resorts I've been to. On the other hand, some reds are quite easy so is difficult to judge if you don't know them. It probably is the worst resort I have been to for grading runs. As mentioned above, the blues through the trees from the long drag lifts by the ski school are nice.

If you are half decent skiers I would suggest you try the cime de sistron, from where you can see Nice. Chair lift up is old and slow and the run back is quite narrow with a drop on one side but worth it. Col du Lombarde also good. More for the history of what happened there during the war than anything. Tour de France went over it a few years ago as well.

I have never tried Auron, and always say I will, but to be honest Isola is fine and if you head up the main gondola and over the top to cistron, merlier and mene you can ski plenty of decent runs with very few people around.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I like the Col de la Lombarde too. Word of warning though, one of the blue runs (looking at a map, I think it's Sierra where Chevrette joins it) has a RIDICULOUS steep bit where it passes the houses near the bottom though! OMG. That focussed the mind a bit! On the plus side, the chair up to there has a great flat landing and it's pretty slow as well so it's really good for people who are crap or nervous with chairs.

The snow was absolutely superb the other weekend when I was there - it seems a real contradiction considering the location! simonpa, what's the "calada" red like to get to the St Sauveur chair from the Mercantour gondola? Is the Sistron red particularly steep, or is it just narrow? Can you elaborate on which reds are particularly scary?

BTW, you also have to do the "coq" run just for the very silly innuendo and adult humour Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Calada red is ok actually, it probably looks worse that it is from the top, our kids skied it last year but if you wish to go on to that side of the hill and avoid the reds there is a blue all the way down to the St Sauveur chair. Rather than going down the red just stick to left and stay on the blue. Is a nice blue and the cafe halfway down does a good bbq for dinner.
The sistron red isn't that steep, but is quite narrow, but real issue is the drop on one side. Plenty of good skiers snow plough down there. The problem with sistron is actually getting there. The drag lift up has a very steep bit at the start and only good skiers who are over 12 are allowed on it. Worth doing once at least, but not my favourite run, not least because top of sistron is high and narrow and I'm not great with heights.
The reds to avoid if you're not confident would be blanchon, which is difficult. Steep and usually very bumpy. Merlier the same, especially at the bottom by the lift cabin as you get on. Melezes and Stade slalom both quite steep, but wide enough to pick your turns.
On the other hand, reds such as sapins and cloutas are fine.
Never skied bartavelle, but hope to this year.
There are plenty of good blue runs though, some with a few steepish sections, as you have found, but generally fine and makes them a bit more fun. Best blue is grizzli, which is fairly steep at the top, but then goes through the trees by a stream. Cuggia also good as are Combe and Lavent, but have quite a long drag lift to get there.
Need to use your own judgement though really and plenty of good runs to ski and new areas to explore without needing ski reds or blacks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks, that's really great info Very Happy I've actually booked a crafty day at Isola this weekend after seeing the fresh snow dump earlier in the week so I was planning on trying to get up to Sistron. Then again the forecast is sounding fairly crap for visibility on saturday so it might have to wait until next season! The drag you're talking about is the one labelled St Sauveur on the piste map? I'm fine with drags on a board thanks to re-learning in a fridge in the UK but it sounds like it's going to be worth a look on the various ski lift nerd sites to see if it's worth the hassle.

Have you done a late season there? I'm considering a quick trip the second weekend in April depending on the snow but don't want to end up with completely unusable slush or ice...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
final patsy,

Luggage and ski storage are listed under C2A's facilities:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/residence-c2a.en-gb.html?aid=347016;label=hotel-238060_T-2_Pool-couk_Slice-99999;sid=03fa04c16189b874adeaa1720649f3cf;dcid=1;srfid=95de9b197c20912bf6e3082855bf17e04297ee9aX1#HotelFacilities
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Unless there has been a recent change, there is no bus between Isola 2000 and Auron
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi thanks... yes they do luggage storage but reception is totally closed from 12 until 5 on a Saturday.

Thanks for all the info.. we were fairly comfortable on blues last year in Samoens but some of the reds were too much for me so I am hoping that this will be a great resort for us.. My two 11 and 8 skied for the first time last year and can't wait to get back. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ccl wrote:
Unless there has been a recent change, there is no bus between Isola 2000 and Auron

You're entirely correct, for some reason wedged in my head was seeing the sign on the front of the bus indicating it went to one and then to the other. That must have been a really long time ago!

Current bus services between the resorts and Nice are listed here: http://www.lignesdazur.com/reservation/?rub_code=139

Have a great time! Sounds like there's going to be a mini snowheads invasion on Saturday snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
call me dave, Yeah, that's the drag lift, Right by the cafe and the only tough bit is the bit you can see, once you are up the steep section at the start it's much much easier so you will be able to judge if you think you can do it ok. If poor visibility then Sistron is usually shut.
We usually ski in late March / April in Isola and always been great. The season is usually set to end mid April, but virtually always extended. It is sometimes warm and slushy in the afternoons, but I have also frequently skied in freezing conditions and snow storms so impossible to say really. Last year was probably the poorest conditions we have had when we arrived, but it then snowed for 3 days solid so was fine again and the season was extended again I believe.

final patsy, You'll like Isola I think. Is good for kids and plenty of blue runs. Do try and explore the resort, there are plenty of good runs and you can ski all areas just sticking to blues and greens if you want.
The Grand Tour is ok, and use the 6-man Combe Gross chair lift then ski back via Lavent. Lombarde is good, but as previously mentioned, there is a short section on way back that is probably slightly harder than a standard blue. The Vallon run is great as well. Take the gondola up the mountain, turn right then go straight on, staying on the blue.

We are heading out this weekend and can't wait. We might just see you in the bar at the end of the day, which is where we usually end up wink Just hope we can actually get to the airport given the weather forecast!
latest report
You guys picked the right week, this week has had the road closed for avalanche poking on I think Monday and Tuesday. I guess 85cm of new snow will do that Wink

Agree with simonpa, you'll definitely like Isola. The only people that don't are surely the ones who find drag lifts annoying, who want uberchallenging runs everywhere and who like pretty little car-free resorts. To be honest personally I'd rather have the beach and a decent sized airport on the doorstep Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy