Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 Sidestash - Rolling Stones

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I just got a pair of K2 Sidestash Rolling Stones skis as a gift from my wife. They look fantastic.
However they are without bindings. (unlike my wife !!). I am not sure whether to put touring or regular Din bindings on them. I am 180 cm and 90 kg and a fairly aggressive skier. I do touring once in a while but these skis seem a bit too big (184 cm) and a wide center for a dedicated touring ski. Any suggestions ?

If you think I should put touring bindings on them what brand do you suggest considering that I will most probably be using them as multipurpose ski anyways ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In my K2 Backlashes, the midpoint is embossed in the clear material covering the topsheet, not printed on the topsheet itself. Don't know if this is standard K2 touring ski practise, but hold em up to the light and take a peek.. have a look around the little K2 logo and 'made in china' note.

They're a little heavy for touring skis (and the topsheet is entirely too dark for sunny weather), but the waist isn't unreasonable if you anticipate 3d snow. I'd get binding inserts put in them for dynafits and whatever alpine binding takes your fancy. Dukes or Guardians would do the job, but they'll make for quite a hefty load!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It sounds like you'll be doing short tours (an hour or two) once in a while. In which case, stick a pair of Barons on 'em, and ski them like an alpine set-up the rest of the time.

If you're touring primarily for good snow, definitely not an unreasonable size - I'm smaller and lighter than you and just bought some 110 underfoot 188 long skis as my main touring rig. The length makes elegant kick turns a bit more challenging, but if I'm lugging skis up a hill, I'll be dammed if I take ones that don't maximise the fun of the down.

Plenty of people touring on bigger skis too. Don't think these guys wished for smaller skis:

Early morning session from Windbroproduction
http://vimeo.com/59998886

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 17-03-13 11:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Marker F12 EPS 2013/14 would be perfect, we have these, next years models if you fancy a pair, 329 Euros RRP.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999, Thanks for the info. What's your opinion of Diamir Pro bindings ?

They seem to be made of metal so I would think they are more rigid. What's your thoughts on that ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Puffhead, Sorry, no experience with them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Puffhead, agree with Clarky999, done some day tours with him this season and I was on 184 Mantras with Marker Dukes, OK only 1-2 hour ups max but like he says the ups are to get to the downs so its not a great hardship to have an Alpine set up!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Puffhead, Sidestash are just under 4200g a pair in that length so pretty good weight wise for a ski of that size & with that downhill performance. They've also got quite a bit of tip rocker which effectively moves the mounting position back giving a shorter tail so you'll have no problems doing kick turns. Baron's would be ideal for sidecountry stuff with excellent downhill performance.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Please don't buy Fritschi. For us at least, the Baron is defunct, if you want to ski harder than a F12 EPS can take then you need Duke.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CH2O, Why not Fritschi ? This is just for my own info. Also for the Barons, do you suggest an AT boot or an alpine freeride ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Puffhead, Narrow template, high ride, Marker wipe the floor with them, plus they're lighter and cheaper. With Baron/Duke/F12/10 any boot can be used, part from a couple of superlight Randos.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks a lot. Barons it is.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Marker F12 EPS 2013/14 would be perfect, we have these, next years models if you fancy a pair, 329 Euros RRP.

Is the 13/14 season model going to be any different to the current one?

What does the EPS stand for?

Where are you based? wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy