Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland gears up for phenomenal Easter/post-Easter skiing [re-titled thread]

Poster: A snowHead
Ricklovesthepowder,

I remember that storm and there is defo more snow now as it KEEPS snowing, I went up yesterday and when arrived on Wednesday morning, there was another 2/3 inches from the night before......seriously, it is now the BEST I have ever seen it, not just for this time of year but ever.

I was in heaven. It was ace.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is the Flypaper open at Glencoe or was that too windblasted? Being keen to ski steep off-piste I'm very unsure if the next weekend after Easter I'll ski a day in Glencoe. I don't really know any Glencoe off piste except next to the pistes.

What is the latest on Nevis (from someone who has seen it if possible) particularly the Back Corries? I'm thinking my original idea of a day there is perhaps not suitable (?).

I certainly want to spend a day exploring Coire an Sneachda at Cairngorm which I've never skied, but otherwise unsure. After being ill for so long I'm not fit enough for long tours, but happy to do an hour or so of skinning.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scotland stoke! snowHead "Bonne Ski!" to all you guys Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowball,
Quote:

Is the Flypaper open at Glencoe or was that too windblasted?

Winterhighland is saying that the flypaper is open I'm hoping to get up there tomorrow. snowHead snowHead
Working rest ofweekend, forecast looks good. Sad Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball, when are you going up ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm going to Cairngorm this weekend.
Anyopne about?

cheers
bob
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
More photo evidence of the stupendous skiing conditions at Glencoe this Easter ...

http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=893

And a rare sight at Cairngorm. Long-time skiers of the 'gorm will confirm that it's a special treat to ski the full length of the Coire na Ciste ... though I think I saw it reported that there's a brief heather-hop right at the end ...

Note the snow cover higher up the Ciste - the gully well-filled (the Cairngorm operations team reckon the snow's 12m+ deep in the middle of it) and the East Wall - left of gully. This is magnificent terrain. Should be great skiing up there, through to late April or beyond (if April temps are normal).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spent today at Glenshee. Snow on the way up the road didn't look too promising, I was surprised at how little there was. But once at the ski centre carpark all my worries evaporated. Pistes were in great condition, lots of snow, mostly dry compacted powder. With this being Easter I was expecting big queues but the only the Glas Maol poma and the Cairnwell single-seater chair had more than a few minutes waiting time. Side of piste off-piste was hard to distinguish from the pistes. Some big cornices on Glas Maol and warning signs for high-avalanch risk, so off-piste a bit limited.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
glasgowcyclops, great to bump into you today! Today was great wasn't it?!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sofia wrote:
glasgowcyclops, great to bump into you today! Today was great wasn't it?!

Great to meet you to. I got back and the first think my wife said was..... Factor 15 not enough Happy

Sunny day, great snow and great company.

Met Roga as well.

Off again now.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi all

if anyone is about say hello

I'm wearing a Blue salomon jacket and yellow norronna trousers and a black Giro helmet with yellow Ripcurl goggles.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hello
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was there yesterday, there was a bit of a chilly ind blowing at times but it was a blue sky day.

The area in Comedy Goldsmiths' picture was really good. All the gullies were covered with nice snow and it was possible to ski down to the bottom car park without touching much more than a couple of strands of heather.

I managed to totally miss Moffat Ross though Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Unusual piste-shaping on Cairngorm today, thanks to the sculpting potential of the deep snow cover ...

It's the Coire na Ciste bowl, for those who don't know the mountain. Over the horizon of that photo you enter the Ciste Gully - a thrilling run.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/CairnGormMtn
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another significant boost to Scotland's five ski areas is the major VAT reduction on ski lift tickets, which the budget activated two days ago. The cut is from 20% to 5% ...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/vat-cut-boost-for-scotlands-ski-centres.1365007176

Quote:
The Highland MP [Danny Alexander, Chief Treasury Secretary, visiting Cairngorm today] said: "This is an important change which offers support to ski resorts which play such a vital role in the Highland economy, creating jobs and bringing thousands of visitors to the mountains each year.
snow report
The VAT switch to the reduced rate has full effect for four of the Scottish Snowsport Areas (and covers non snowsports use of the Nevis Gondola and chairlifts elsewhere). On CairnGorm the Funicular was already zero rated and snowsports tickets on CairnGorm attracted a notional VAT rate of Approx 10% and this will reduce to a notional rate of just over 2.5%. The rate being calculated as a 45%/55% between surface lifts and Funicular.

This reduction does not change the belief that the interpretation of what constitutes a single transport system was flawed and HMRC's interpretation both non-sensical and without support in law and I believe the issue is set to go back to a Tax Tribunal again. A gondola system is a single transport entity with a single drive, the gondola cabins are comparable to the seats on a train or a bus, take the seats out of either and their not going to transport you very far!!

Regardless of any further tribunal outcome, at least the 5% rate makes cableway transport systems much more viable for mass transit solutions across the UK.
ski holidays
shoogly wrote:
hello
Good one Happy
snow report
Just had 2 cracking days in Glenshee. The pistes were well groomed and although a little icy in the morning they softened as the day went on.

This was the view this morning from the Meall Odhar Cafe looking towards the Meall Odhar Poma

From the same location this is the Caenlochan Poma

The view from the top of the Cainwell Tow shows how extensive the snow cover is.

And finally Glas Maol was simply stunning.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 4-04-13 21:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Gaza, fantastic day at Glenshee aswell the slopes were ace for this time of year don't you reckon?.
latest report
meandrew I agree with you 100%. Very Happy I can't recall every skiing at Glenshee in such great conditions. I even managed the a couple of runs on the Tiger yesterday although I passed today as I had a bit of a twinge in a thigh muscle this morning and didn't fancy pushing it too much on the bumps!
ski holidays
I was at Glenshee as well today, wow conditions are superb Toofy Grin

photo 523631_637329016284622_2129637254_n_zps8f7d6577.jpg

This was Glas Maol from somewhere just under it.
snow conditions
Not sure if you are meant to post offers but my holiday home in Aviemore has become available next week. I'm offering a 30% discount to Snowheads off the published price (for w/c 6th April). www.holidayinaviemore.co.uk - pm me if interested.

Mods if I've transgressed please delete and accept my apologies.
ski holidays
Scottish skiing is still going strong with plenty of snow (especially in the East). It looks like continuing several more weeks (despite the BBC wrongly saying last weekend would be the last)..
I skied Cairngorm last Saturday and did Aladins couloir. The first 20 metres to the spine was very hard and a bit scary in consequence, but after that it was lovely with only a few tracks in loose powder. We were able to ski out without taking our skis off.
We also did a number of other off piste routes such as the Head Wall and Laogh Mor (pronounced Louis Mor).
Then the next day I skied Glencoe in the cloud which was less fun.
snow conditions
Well despite a stormy and mild week since the great conditions / weather last Saturday we're certainly not done yet as we move into the final third of April (well apart from Nevis Range which it turns out pulled the plug on the season last Sunday... Shocked ).

Some pix from CairnGorm Mountain on Friday, which is still offering top to Daylodge riding with 1750ft vertical on the lifts on the Cas side. Ciste Gully still loaded to well below the boardwalk. Funicular, Sheiling Tow, Fiacaill Ridge Poma, Cas Tow, M1 Poma, West Wall Poma, Ciste Tow, Polar Express Trainer Tow and Ptarmigan Tow scheduled for Saturday. Carpark Tow closed for the season, but machines might have a go at patching the break in the Daylodge Poma track just above the loading area tonight.

^Looking up the White Lady.

^Ridercross course still there in the Ciste Bowl.

^Ptarmigan Terrain Park being rebuilt for the weekend - piste basher hiding in hollow behind the rails!

Full report and lots more pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=898

Elsewhere Glencoe is going for a full house on the lift front at the weekend, the full on mountain vertical of 1400ft back to the Top of the Access Chair is on offer. Though Plateau Run is narrow in places, most of the main area runs are still in great shape, huge snow depths still on the upper mountain - both top tows will run if demand.

Glenshee will have the East side of the A93 fully open out to and including the Glas Maol Poma, with the sole exception of the Meall Odhar T-bar. Still loads of snow on Western Aspects esp and Sunnyside is still fence to fence so good for early intermediates. Still options for runs down to further out parts of the Carpark down Sunnyside well beyond the fences.

The Lecht has closed the mainside of the hill, but the Buzzard runs are still complete and offering nice spring snow (likely to start firm first thing). Will be the last weekend of the season at the Lecht unless there is significant new snow to justify re-opening the main area.

CairnGorm Mountain, Glenshee and Glencoe remain in daily snowsports operations.
ski holidays
Are there any bumps around currently???
snow conditions
After being StormBound on Monday the wind has eased a bit each day and should be even less Thursday, and there's fresh snow forecast tomorrow and Friday so looking very promising for the weekend, esp Saturday at this stage with a ridge of high pressure settling things down, just a few snow showers and good sunny spells with light winds expected Saturday. This was the pick of the day when I was last up CairnGorm on Sunday:

^Absolutely perfect granular spring snow on the West Wall, CairnGorm, Sunday 21st April.

^White Lady from the Sheiling Shred on the lower slopes on Sunday - features now moved to the top. In answer to kitenski, the White Lady has been unpisted recently and bumps are starting to build!

^Cas Gunbarrel on Tuesday afternoon (photo by H11lly). Still wide and flat and the Zig Zags are still fully complete and in good shape providing a green route from the top to mid-station.

Lots more Pix from Sun: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=899
...plus Tuesday (not as sunny!): http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3581

Should be up tomorrow... will get some more photos. We're far from done yet, Glencoe will also be open this weekend. Nevis Range and Glenshee will review the possibility of weekend snowsports later tomorrow or early Friday. Stay tuned.
snow conditions
Winterhighland wrote:
In answer to kitenski, the White Lady has been unpisted recently and bumps are starting to build!

I need to spend virtually a whole day skiing bumps for my BASI L2, wondering about skiing Tues 30th, so thanks for that Smile

Greg
snow report
Offer of a lift on WH from Yorkshire for this coming weekend - going up Friday 26th: http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?3,156752
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Winterhighland, thanks but have a prior engagement Saturday.
snow report
A few convective snow showers this morning between sunny spells on CairnGorm. Will have pix later, a few bits of useful info. Winchcat is at work on the Westwall Poma track moving snow from the side of the Aonach Bowl to increase the depth, with a frost overnight thus should consolidate to strengthen the track, which is good cause the Ciste Gully is absolutely loaded.

On the Cas side the upper M1 is full width, out via Horizon Road to the Gunbarrel. White Lady in superb shape, bumps beginning to form - head for M1 for a red groomer! Fiacaill Ridge Poma uptrack is still complete for the weekend. So looking at Train, Fiacaill Ridge Poma, Cas Tow, M1 Poma, Ptarmigan Tow, Ciste Tow, Polar Express Trainer Tow and Westwall Poma.

Over at Glencoe looking at a full house of main lifts, all except the trainer rope tow.
snow report
it's looking more and more like we'll be trying for a road trip of the StarWars weekend - Friday scoot up to Crianlarich area, overnight B&B, glencoe on Saturday then maybe over to Aviemore for Cairngorm on Sunday.
snow report
The mix of snow showers, a couple of hail (ouch) and bright spring Sunshine continued all afternoon, always nice when April showers are of the solid precipitation type! snowHead

^Prepare for all seasons, you'll likely encounter five! Toofy Grin

^The White Lady on top form like much of this season. With piste bashers banned, small spring snow bumps building now on the Lady, addictive fun all afternoon.

Snow expected tomorrow, could be some heavybursts around part of the range with a chance of thundersnow! If you want something steeper without bumps, the upper M1 RaceTrack is fence to fence out via Horizon Road. Ciste Gully hasn't seen action apart from those putting in some leg work in recent days so should be fairly smooth, as should be No 1 Gully. Still some fun lines on Coronation Wall, silky smooth spring snow with a touch of fresh on top this afternoon. I see from H11lly's post on Facebook Aladdin's Couloir has seen some turns:

Full report and Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=900
ski holidays
Glenshee has now closed for the season:-

Quote:
No useable runs remain, only large patches of snow. It has been a good season for snow so here's hoping next season is the same. A big thank you to all our customers from the staff at Glenshee.

The webcam backs that up. Sad
latest report
Winterhighland wrote:
I see from H11lly's post on Facebook Aladdin's Couloir has seen some turns:

I did that for the first time nearly 3 weeks ago - quite exciting and the top pitch to the spine a bit icy - but lovely snow after that (there were climbers with ropes and ice-axes going up the top pitch as we went down). Winterhighland's great photo shows the top third or so. We were able to ski out all the way to the lifts which I am told is unusual.

I met H11lly for the first time just before we did it. What is her Facebook address?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 26-04-13 15:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
A few clips from yesterday, and a wee reminisce about this time last year! Sorry was having a bit too much fun on the White Lady to get better footage...

http://youtube.com/v/8WM4vijZc_I

snowball, PM sent.
latest report
hmm, plans are being hatched Smile

What confidence in the metoffice forecast for Tuesday which currently states:

Tue 30 Apr

Tuesday looks more settled with the snow showers decaying to leave much dry bright weather, best of sun from Lochnagar southwards across Perthshire. Fresh Northwest winds will fall lighter. Freezing levels around 800 metres.

Issued at: 0345 on Fri 26 Apr 2013
snow report
Winterhighland, thanks.

Slightly scary jump over the snow-fence there (I've seen photos of a guy who impaled himself on one of those - they cut the post and took him to hospital with it still inside him Shocked )
Who did the guy going up on the rocks borrow the board from?
ski holidays
Hi im new here so hi everybody, im thinking of going up to cairngorm next week, driving up monday staying somewhere monday and tuesday night and skiing the two days, I will be going up with my girlfriend and just wondering if anybody could advise some cheap accommodation in the area. Thanks
snow report
If your within 1 to 1.5hours of Glencoe and CairnGorm, get on the road in the next 10 minutes..... snowHead

^Looking up the Main Basin at Glencoe earlier this morning.
latest report
Ah still looking good at Cairngorm, sadly I've ran out of pennies for any more skiing this season, need to get saving for next season Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy