Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help Needed - Snow Chains!!!!! Ford S Max

Poster: A snowHead
Car is Ford SMax Titanium X with 18" wheels.

Going to Montchavin at Easter for 2 weeks, we had been thinking of winter tyres, and we were re going to buy 16" winters tyres and wheels as not much diff as just 18" tyres on their own and if tyres on their own we'd be forking out each time to change over. Decided against that as the computer would have to be reset each time we changed size of wheels. So for this trip as it is just our 1st to see how we get on with the drive (from Glasgow so might not do again) we decided to go for chains only just now, and would spend a bit more on self tensioning easier fit ones.

Anyhow, now we go to buy them and refer to our manual it says you can't fit chains to 18" but can on 16"!!! Obviously don't want to go down that route, as they cost around £500 for wheels and tyres and then £180 each time for computer to be reset.

The website we were going to buy from recommended them for the car and size of wheels, but handbook doesn't.

Any ideas???? Anyone else with an SMax?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
£180 to reset the computer? Rip off, and you can do it massively cheaper at any garage with the right plug in jobbie.

Just get chains, don't bother with winter tyres. You will only be using them in the most severe conditions unless you are planning to do a season, and at Easter it is almost certainly going to be fairly clear on the roads as the weather warms up a bit.

The restriction in wheel size is because the chains will hit the inner wings on full lock, so just don't use full lock with the chains on.

Or get confirmation from the company selling the chains, and if they destroy the wheel arch you can sue.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well the computer reset was ford quote, thought OH would have checked elsewhere as friends own garages, so now he says yeah they might!! Men!!

Also he was onto one of the chain co's and the guy was very informative, works for mountain rescue, and suggested hire chains that don't go around the back of the wheel, buy snow socks, auto socks seemingly approved in France, and he did mention just can't use with full lock.

Situation not looking as dire!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just a word of caution, I'm sure the s max has the brakes off a focus ST. That means that a 16" wheel won't fit over the brake Calipers.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm doing a season in Montchavin at the moment. Though we have had snow recently and conditions remain excellent on the mountain the snow has been very light down in the village and not lasted more than a couple of hours if it has settled. Last time we had snow requiring chains/snow tyres to get up to Montchavin was the first week in Feb if I recall correctly.

... if you need either to get up here over Easter I'll eat my (woolly) hat! I really wouldn't bother.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ricklovesthepowder, hubby says they make them with 16 and 17"??
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
annaski, yes hear you but I think u need to have them?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gilly28, I don't know then. One way to find out, is go to euro car parts website, stick your registration number in and price up some new brake discs. If it comes back saying the brake disc size is 320mm then you have focus ST brakes in there and an 18" wheel is the smallest you can go down to.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Had the same issue with my Ford Kuga - biggest issue with chains is the ability / lack of ability for them to wrap around the inside of the tyre - and then the issue with filling the arch...
I bought Thule K-Summit which bolt onto a wheel nut and then go only as far as the top of the tyre...

Also - noticed that they were unniversally £289 - but found P F Jones selling them on ebay (I used the company to fit my towbar and they were great) - for c. £30 less - ONO, so I knocked them down even more!
I am hoping to not need them, but will carry them...

Alasdair
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gilly28, yes, you need to have them, but just buy some that fit and chuck them in the car. You are very very unlikely to need them. I have chains for my Mondeo that have been in the car for 4 years now and never been used, despite regular trips to the alps.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We have had an s-max for 6 years now, driven to alps and andorra many times with snowsocks getting us through the worst the weather could throw at us. We have now fitted the car with goodyear vector allseason tyres 235/50*17 and leave them on all year. In quite deep snow we find the lighter car on wide tyres copes better than our van on slimmer tyres
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Why would you need to reset the computer?.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is the computer for tyre pressure monitoring?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get autosocks from the roofbox company - they come with a certificate you can show the gendarmerie if needed . Have a look at their website.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Basil, to do with speedometer I'm told.

tangowaggon, Thanks, feel better now!

We're thinking we might go with socks this year, hopefully not even open the pack and return if we don't use. Then if we decide that we would do the trip again (thinking mostly Easter hols as son gets first two weeks in April each year no matter what date Easter actually is, but maybe odd Xmas and NY), we would get winter tyres and chains, but as we will have to get more expensive chains that don't go right around, it gives us time to shop for some second hand ones, sound like an ok plan? Or maybe just usual ones and dont do full lock.

annaski, I'll be picking your brains next on Montchavin tips!!
snow report
Gilly28, Get the right size wheel/tyre combo and surely no need to adjust speedo.
ski holidays
Try this: http://www.willtheyfit.com
snow conditions
Gilly28, Had the same car as you. Swapped to 16" steel wheels & winter tyres (+ chains if needed, only once in 4 years) no problems at all. Still got wheels & tyres (& chains I think) so give me a shout next winter as I'll probably still have them!
snow conditions
Gilly28, you need chains if conditions require them. When there is snow on the road up the mountain the Gendarmes will be on the road stopping cars without winter tyres/chains and requiring you to either put the chains on or turn back. But only if there is snow - they will not be there checking you are carrying them just in case.

I think your unopened socks idea is a good one - the cost of chains for your car seems extortionate for something you are highly unlikely to use. Actually if it came to it, it would be considerably cheaper to leave your car at the bottom of the hill in Landry and get a taxi up!

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Montchavin Very Happy
latest report
Nick D, thanks for letting me know, will keep it in mind should we decide that we will do the trip again( don't see why not). Mind send you a pm incase you decide to sell before next winter, so you remember me!
snow conditions
Basil wrote:
Gilly28, Get the right size wheel/tyre combo and surely no need to adjust speedo.

Spot on.

For everything you ever wanted to know about tyre sizes try:
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

Part way down there's a tyre size calculator where you can put in the numbers for both sets of tyres and calculate the difference. If the circumference is within a couple of percent then I wouldn't worry about it.
snow report
Gilly28, if you let me know what wheel size you have I have 2 sets of chains (different sizes as this year we broke down and had to get a hire car which has different wheel size) both the self tensioning ones (1 set Konig and the other Wessenfeld) neither ever been needed and don't fit our new car - was going to ebay them next winter. pm me if interested.
ski holidays
gvj wrote:
Get autosocks from the roofbox company - they come with a certificate you can show the gendarmerie if needed . Have a look at their website.

+1
latest report
I've driven to the austrian alps at Easter for the past 3 years, have never needed chains. I have a pair in the boot, but you just don't get the freezing temps combined with constant snow at that time of the year. Even when it has snowed heavily the roads have been fine, even up high to the likes of Zurs.
latest report
Gilly28 wrote:
Car is Ford SMax Titanium X with 18" wheels.

Going to Montchavin at Easter for 2 weeks,

Montchavin is at 1250, you're going at easter - I d be more worried about whether there is enough snow on the piste to ski all the way to Montchavin then whether there will be snowchains needed up and down the mountain.

Save the money and spend it on tartiflette
snow report
bertie bassett, yeh yeh ok, u seen calais this week ? Stranger things have happened?? Laughing

I know it's unlikely but jeez! Imagine driving from Glasgow and getting turned back at the last hurdle coz we got that wished for snow!!!! Razz

The way I see it, no matter that it is unlikely we will have snow on road, there is always the chance and the bottom line is legally we need something, so the cheapest/best scenario think is autosocks.

Thanks yet again for the great advice on here
latest report
annaski, just a quick post to say hi before I bug you with all my questions!!

But.... My first all important one is do u know the 3 glaciers apartments? Would be interested in how much ( or not) it is to ski from and to it is, and to and from the all important town bars.

Gillian
snow conditions
Gillian, the 3 glaciers apartments are up on the hill above the Montchavin ski lift. It's probably under a minute to ski to the lift but about 5 minutes to walk. I think for Easter you will probably have to walk (it looks pretty sketchy even now). The Montchavin piste itself is still in very good conditon though so I'd be surprised if you can't ski down into the village in 2 weeks time.

There are a couple of restaurants at the bottom of the slope and in town. All restaurants are within about 5-10 minutes walk down the hill from the apartments, as far as I know there isn't anything actually on the hill. There are two bars in Montchavin, Base de Camp at the bottom of the gondola, and the Dos Rond on the main high street (also has a nice restaurant upstairs).

Feel free to ask anything else.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
annaski, Thanks would we be able to ski back to the apartments to save walking up the hill with boots and skis? Any good child friendly restaurants (think I read re a pizzeria) to go for dinner on my sons birthday?

Really looking forward to it, we were in La Plagne for New Year 2011, but only skied down to Les Coches once as kids were in morning ski school so we always had to get back.
ski holidays
snow socks from halfords easy and quick to put on work well used them several times this winter
latest report
I don't think you can ski back all the way to the apartments but you can ski to above it and walk down. If you take the Mont Blanc piste, there is a footpath off to the right at marker 3. This would be a shorter gentler downhill walk vs going all the way to the bottom of the piste and walking up.

There is a pizzeria on the main high street (La Zaccota] which is good, the restaurant opposite (The Dos Rond) is also nice and child friendly.
snow report
annaski, Thanks for that tip re coming back to apartment! Looks like snow forecast low down this week, maybe we will be able to ski down to lift after all Razz
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy