Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do I become a braver skier?

Poster: A snowHead
Nope - you continue skiing quite happily until something happens where you stop .... Then physically can't start again (someone ahead falling,or skiing nervously/ out of their depth classic triggers for me.... If they are struggling so might you rubbish going on.... Quite what how crap anyone else is has to do with me I don't know!).

And yes I agree good instructors will help..... But it isn't a 'oh fine I have done that now I won't be scared' thing. Well not for me anyway. I have my list of situations I want to work with my instructor on, list of things to do when I freeze that I have built up, 2 crazy kids who are good ski buddies and have made loads of progress. Have only been skiing 4 years (ok have maybe skied 3 times a year in last 2 and will be 4 times this year Very Happy ) but was brilliant to ski things without even thinking of being scared this Feb that 12 months ago would have seen me thinking twice (or actually not even attempting)

Surely everyone has something they find hard that is like this? My husband hates flat light- doesn't bother me. He isn't daunted by steepness - I am.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There needs to be some mention here of the knobheads who take patricksh advice WITHOUT the ability.

Control is all.

For me, a slope is spoiled by the tits (normally male, 12 - 30) who are just getting down the slope with only the vestiges of control. They THINK they are skiing properly, but one glance at their technique and their speed and you know that they aren't. Oh look, a crossing piste and they don't even slow. And gosh, can't they go fast on a green or blue back into the resort? Clever, eh?

If you have fear, then chucking yourself down a slope where you don't feel in control is not the answer, enjoying your sking on a slope that you are comfortable with, is.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski resorts are full of people who take a half hour to come down a blue run, and look at others going down blacks and off-piste and saying: well, their technique is poor, therefore I am a better skier. Thet mustnt be in control cos they are going so fast, therefore they are bad skiers.

Don't you love it?

(Disclaimer, I am not advocating we should all rip down slopes beyond our ability level; but I do think that anyone who says they are good enough to do a black slope, or ski fast, but won't do it because they are too nervous, or want to stay in their comfort zone, is bit of oxymoron)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
patricksh wrote:
I do think that anyone who says they are good enough to do a black slope, or ski fast, but won't do it because they are too nervous, or want to stay in their comfort zone, is bit of oxymoron)

Haven't met many people like this ^

The ones that can do it are probably not so bothered about constantly skiing steep or fast because they've done it all before & mostly know It's a big fuss about nothing, like most things in life...once the unobtainable becomes obtainable, your goals tend to be focused elsewhere.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
patricksh wrote:
Ski resorts are full of people who take a half hour to come down a blue run, and look at others going down blacks and off-piste and saying: well, their technique is poor, therefore I am a better skier. Thet mustnt be in control cos they are going so fast, therefore they are bad skiers.

Don't you love it?

(Disclaimer, I am not advocating we should all rip down slopes beyond our ability level; but I do think that anyone who says they are good enough to do a black slope, or ski fast, but won't do it because they are too nervous, or want to stay in their comfort zone, is bit of oxymoron)

....and therefore should NOT be encouraged to "just do it you'll get over it and be OK", which apparently was your advice.

The OP asked how to improve their confidence so that they were happy skiing slopes that caused trepidation. That suggests to me that they will do much better building confidence and technique on blues & reds to the point where a black is just another slope.

And for however many people take half an hour coming down a blue I'd rather have them that those who ski beyond their ability to control their destiny (and mine!!!) and there are an unfortunate number of those knobheads. Say there aren't and you are either a liar or as bad as them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ham wrote:
For me, a slope is spoiled by the tits (normally male, 12 - 30) who are just getting down the slope with only the vestiges of control.

<shrug> They all pay the same as me for a lift pass. Just ride as if everyone else is an idiot, then you'll be safe enough.

---
On the original post, if it's not now too late...

I think a lot of UK people have that kind of problem. If you don't have enough time on snow each year it's hard to "ratchet up" your experience. Using a snow dome or plastic slopes would help.

As far as when you're at a resort, this week.

• I'd avoid slopes which you find hard. You'll learn more having fun on slopes you're happy on that you will sliding down out of condition mogul fields on your back bottom.
  • Ride the slopes which are in condition, forget about what grade they are. "In condition" means most fun to ride. A slope can be a blast or a chore, depending on how soft the snow happens to be. You want it to be "just right". Look at how the sun moves, work out how long it takes for a slope to come into condition (and to pass out of it), and ride it then.
  • Finally, try riding with tunes. Get a headset and play some rhythmic music you like. I still remember the first day I did that, it transformed my riding completely. And yes, it's perfectly safe as you absolutely cannot rely on your ears for hazard location.

(Hey, it replaces the letter sequence a-r-s-e with "back bottom" automatically. Weird. Although it's an entirely legitimate word used in a non pejorative manner. Strangely it does not replace the American pejorative "Ass" with Donkey. Ok, it's your notice board, but I could just use medical terminology and that sounds a lot ruder.)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Are ski resorts full of people like that? I've skied a great deal and never met one. I like watching people on tough runs. Some of them are clearly fully in control and a joy to watch. Others are scary, especially the ones who zig zag down in a semi snowplough at high speed (sometimes following mates who fall into the first category).

One or two people I have skied with who have taken ages to get down a blue run were very nervous beginners and really aware they were poor skiers (that lack of confidence was a lot of the problem). They certainly weren't watching people skiing fast and thinking their own performance was better. What they were often doing was looking admiringly at the 7 year olds in ski school classes and marvelling at how good they were.

On the other hand, I have also watched really good skiers taking it easy down blue runs (instructors, sometimes) and admired that too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey guys, I think quirkybird has left the thread. Probably becausw she's 20 and wants to be advised by people her own age!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^ or took it from her own age and for some reason is now unable to comment! wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
patricksh, maybe because she's gone skiing today!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HutToHut wrote:
patricksh, maybe because she's gone skiing today!

Exactly!
quirkybird wrote:
I'm due to go away this Saturday

In fact, not just "maybe", but DEFINITELY!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ignore all the psychobabble, instruction recommendations and technique tips.

The solution is simple

It's zirbenschnaps.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, if anyone sees a scared girl with a white face standing a-top a black slope over next week, say something - encouraging...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
patricksh, 'Not you again?! It's LEFT at the junction, ffs' - that sort of thing?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Best advice i can give is think postive when going down the mountain . Enjoy the speed and wind wiping through you hair . The more postive you think the less mistakes you will make and the more you will enjoy it and start to want to ski down good . Best safety tip is learn to turn into the mountain if you think you are going to fast or are going to crash. Also its easier to turn and control when you are going a little bit fast but not too much . Going slow is harder to manouver . I am 16 year old lad who only had 1 lesson of ski school but learned from my grandad because i didnt like ski school and now on my 4th ski trip this is how i learnt how to control my fear
snow report
patricksh, thank you for upgrading me to the status of oxymoron - I shall sleep easier tonight rolling eyes Oh, yes, I am over 40 too doesn't that just prove that you are right rolling eyes

Give me strength someone, please!

If the OP does reappear another thing that I know you can get is a self hypnosis download from the internet that you can listen to before you go - it gets good reviews and for less than a tenner must be worth a try if someone is defeated by any other advice that is offered. http://www.selfhypnosisuk.com/overcome-your-skiing-nerves.html
snow report
patricksh wrote:
Hey quirkybird, I have just returned to thread and see everyone disagreeing with my advice to just do the blacks, get down by hook or by crook and just keep doing it until you overcome your fear and carve in style. They are even suggesting you practice on blues.

My advice remains the same. You said you were good skier, so why not skip the blues. Fear is what is holding you back and one way to beat this is repitition, familiarity and experience. You must get used to being outside your comfort zone without freezing. How can doing a blue help you overcome fear of blacks? But abc may well be right and your problem is a serious flaw in your skiing technique you are not aware of so that should be borne in mind.

Of course, you don't have to do blacks but you sound like you want to

People disagree with your comment, because you are plain wrong and I'll explain why below. You also make me think you don't understand what effects fear has on people.

It doesn't matter how good a skier you are on blues and in comfort. The moment fear comes into play the very good skier suddenly is not able to ski all that well. Of course that makes the experience on that slope even worse. Repeating that is not going to help, as every time the person tries, he or she won't be skiing well.

An instructor who understands fear properly, and someone like Easiski does, can help a person to apply the skills they have and then manage the fear (It won't disappear for most) and ski the difficult slopes with more pleasure, and that is what it is about in the end.
snow conditions
doesn't matter how good a skier you are on blues and in comfort. The moment fear comes into play the very good skier suddenly is not able to ski all that well. Of course that makes the experience on that slope even worse. Repeating that is not going to help, as every time the person tries, he or she won't be skiing well

Ronald, o yeah, I see your point. When going gets tough, best to just back away. Kinda like England against Wales yesterday
snow conditions
Quote:

When going gets tough, best to just back away

rolling eyes or rather, as you clearly didn't read it properly the first time,
Quote:

An instructor who understands fear properly, and someone like Easiski does, can help a person to apply the skills they have and then manage the fear (It won't disappear for most) and ski the difficult slopes with more pleasure
latest report
pam w, well that is true. But nothing like facing something on your own and beating it to control the demons. At some point you gotta do it without someone holding your hand
snow report
patricksh, what makes you so sure? Are you an instructor or qualified in teaching nervous skiers? The
snow report
patricksh wrote:
At some point you gotta do it without someone holding your hand

Why? You plan to live the rest of your life alone?

Do you also propose everyone to learn to ski by just doing it? Lessons be damned? After all, "you gotta do it without someone holding your hand".

kitenski wrote:
patricksh, what makes you so sure? Are you an instructor

Or a psychologist? Toofy Grin
snow report
Perhaps not to overlook the obvious; just ski in resorts without steep runs. Cockoo clock small Austrian resorts all the scenery non of the stress. Or as suggested de-sensitisation is by far the best provided one has the skill set appropriate for the task ì.e. short radius turns with strong pole plant for steeps.
snow report
patricksh wrote:
pam w, well that is true. But nothing like facing something on your own and beating it to control the demons. At some point you gotta do it without someone holding your hand

At no point did I suggest they will only ever be able to do it with the instructor.

I had a client once, not very experienced, skiing the flat village runs in fine technique. The moment it got no more then mildy red or the steeper sections of a blue steep she totally paralysed... If I had told her to man up, she wouldn't have done it. Fear can be so much stronger then you realise Patrick!

I was able, after a how to discussion with other instructors, to help her get the confidence to apply what she could there, and afterwards she could ski the steeper sections behind me, in front of me and suprisingly quick and smooth and must importantly She actually enjoyed it. Volunteering for an extra run even!

You stated you never had proper professional instruction, you simply don't know what a real good instructor can build in a client, no matter what you think.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy