Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Instructor Training Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hey there!
Stumbled onto your forums while doing my research and I wondered if there were any kind souls here that wouldn't mind giving some advice! So here I am, on my knees.

I'm a competent skier (9 week long holidays on snow plus some dryslope) and would really love to get into instructing as a career for a few years. I'm looking to study abroad and have been thinking about doing an internship.
I seem to have three options at the moment:
1) Level 1 and 2 course in Canada or elsewhere
2) Level 1 course with a guaranteed job after passing Level 1 in Japan (NZSIA qualification for some reason)
3) Level 1 course with a guaranteed job after passing Level 1 and studying for Level 2 at the same time in Austria

Does anyone have any information on which Qualifications are more transferable or useful? Whats the standard/best/cheapest route to getting a decent job? I do want to train abroad but the cheaper the better so the internship with guaranteed job is pretty tempting.
Also, is there a possibility of part timing in a bar while training/working as an instructor?

Thanks very much for any information you can provide at all!

Much love
Jim
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Man Called Jim, Welcome to snowheads.

It mostly depends on where you want to work long term, so any of those would be OK assuming that you wish to work in those territories. After the L1 or L2 you are looking at ISIA which is sort of transferable world wide, although arguably patchy in Europe. If it's Europe you are aiming for then Austria would make sense, plus a keen interest in Race Training and good German language skills.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A Croatian friend went through the Austrian system has ISIA etc reckoned he saved over £15,000 in comparison with BASI due to the working training support you describe.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Man Called Jim,Hi Vilkomen to Snowheads
Would it be indiscreet to ask what organisations/schools offer training/work or guaranteed employment on qualifying?
I secretly aspire to eventually teach in some guise, having trained as Mountain Leader & Climbing Instructor in the UK.
But with only 4 weeks on snow and poor technique I know it's a few seasons away before I am at level 1 aspirant stage.
Many thanks & good luck
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Age is important over 20 then starting out to be professional fully qualified instructor is unlikely.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cynic wrote:
Age is important over 20 then starting out to be professional fully qualified instructor is unlikely.

This is generally true also in Mountaineering probably more so, however age aside I found the instructor/leader training route an excellent path to high quality training and a much broader awareness of the mountain environment than would be gleaned from purely recreational pursuits.

It's also excellent justification for indulging your passion Madeye-Smiley
I say crack on and aim for your own aspirations regardless and recognise your limits when you reach them. (If you can afford it that is Confused )
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cynic wrote:

Really? What do you think happens when you're over 20? I did my level one when I was 20, after only skiing 6 weeks, I've now done 12 winters in 7 years and am an instructor trainer for one of my schools.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The debate over which quals are better has been done to death, so search around in here a bit. If you don't want to work in France, avoid BASI, no idea why it's more expensive, but it is. It really depends on how old you are (for visa purposes), where you want to work and for how long. If it's just for a few seasons, the answer may be different, if you want to work in the southern hemi, get a southern hemi qual.

I have NZ quals and have instructed on 5 continents, so they're well respected worldwide.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Probably fair to say though that for Euro qualys it'd be desirable to be trying for Eurotest no later than around mid-20s...

If no exacting speed test, then possibilities for older entrants open up.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
slikedges wrote:
Probably fair to say though that for Euro qualys it'd be desirable to be trying for Eurotest no later than around mid-20s...

If no exacting speed test, then possibilities for older entrants open up.

Yes, probably the earlier you can do the eurotest the better, but I'm sure it's been done by people into their 30s before. But you can be a 'professional fully qualified instructor' without ever going near the ET.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jimmer, no disagreement with either of those statements. From the few I've met, I have a high regard for NZ trained instructors' skiing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BASI
4 reasons...

1) Instructor qualification need refreshed every 3 years. If you are based out of the UK this is your best bet.
2) You can do your BASI L1 in a dry slope or dome. This is cheapest way to get a basic qualification and some hours & experience.
3) BASI L2 is not expensive and considered equal qualification and standard to all other systems (i.e NZ / CASI / Austria / USA etc).
4) You can use BASI L2 to teach anywhere in the world (yip - Even in France as a 'stagiere' *if* you pass their test technique)

Euro Test is tough, but you only need it for France. If you are fit then no reason why you couldn't pass in your 30s or 40s as some people have.
However the reality is that those with the skills and race training / background generally to do it in their 20s.

The main reason to do another nations qualification would be if you plan to live there permanently and are fluent in the local language.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jimmer wrote:
It really depends on how old you are (for visa purposes).

Good point regarding Visa's. I understand that if you can reach ISIA / L3 then it makes Visa's easier .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap, yeah but, L1 in a dome or L1 in Japan with a guaranteed job..... I know which I'd take.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^ plenty well paid jobs in Japan for English speaking instructors.
The Ozzies have invaded that part of the world and need taught!
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
BASI
4 reasons...

1) Instructor qualification need refreshed every 3 years. If you are based out of the UK this is your best bet.
2) You can do your BASI L1 in a dry slope or dome. This is cheapest way to get a basic qualification and some hours & experience.
3) BASI L2 is not expensive and considered equal qualification and standard to all other systems (i.e NZ / CASI / Austria / USA etc).
4) You can use BASI L2 to teach anywhere in the world (yip - Even in France as a 'stagiere' *if* you pass their test technique)

Euro Test is tough, but you only need it for France. If you are fit then no reason why you couldn't pass in your 30s or 40s as some people have.
However the reality is that those with the skills and race training / background generally to do it in their 20s.

The main reason to do another nations qualification would be if you plan to live there permanently and are fluent in the local language.

Not all qualifications need refreshing, I can't actually find the prices, but BASI 2 is longer than other L2s and thus likely to be more expensive.

You're much less likely to get a job in Aus/NZ with BASI than you would with a qual from there.

As OP hasn't told us much about himself, it's hard to know exactly which would be best.
latest report
NZ L2 = 8 days.
BASI L2 = 10 days.

I am sure NZ is a great system and well respected.
But so is BASI (loads of L2 working in NZ when I was there waaaaayyy back in 2001).

At the end of the day it depends where you want to teach and what your longer term plans are.
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap wrote:

At the end of the day it depends where you want to teach and what your longer term plans are.

Very much agree.

I think PSIA is only 3 days, CSIA maybe 5.

Definitely a lot of Brits in NZ, a few BASI, but not many L2, possible for sure, just less likely.
snow report
^ I heard from a friend that most NZ ski resorts can only sponsor work VISA's for L3 (ISIA) these days ?
Though you can easily get a job with L2 if you are already in the country on a young persons working visa (<30 yrs).
i.e for NZ getting the visa (not the job) is hard part.
latest report
I haven't worked there for a few years, but they did sponsor L2s, you needed to have got a job there first, which can be a little tricky, but possible, especially with a bit of experience.
ski holidays
Wow, cheers for the welcomes and so many speedy replies! Thanks everyone for the advice Smile

AndAnotherThing..:I’m not particularly aiming for Europe as that’s the only place I have skied so far and I would love to try the snow in other parts of the world. I think I would try and get the ISIA asap as hopefully I can make it a career rather than just an excuse to go skiing.

franzClammer : The two places I have found so far are EA: http://www.easkiandsnowboard.com/ski-courses/ski-internship-courses/ and Ski instructor academy: http://www.ski-instructor-academy.com/. You better not steal all the places from me now Very Happy.

Cynic : I’m male, 22 and English if that helps. I cant imagine being 2 years over 20 will cause too many problems will it?

franzClammer, As far as affording it, I’m kind of hoping that I will be able to get enough money through teaching to get further training so I can teach at a higher level and get more money for the next qualification etc etc. Is this realistic?

jimmer: Like I said, I don’t really know where I want to work. Do you have any advice on where are the best places to teach? I have read a few of the threads on which quals are better, will try and look up some more!

slikedges: Would I be able to do the Eurotest after doing say a NZ qualification?

Haggis_Trap: I don’t really plan on teaching in England as I abhor dryslopes and cant imagine a dome even comes close to a mountain. But if BASI is widely accepted then I might be tempted to do level 1 in dome and then go abroad for one season to do level two and three in one go. Do you think I would be fairly employable abroad if I did this?

God damn it there are so many things to think about. Hope all the places arnt gone before I get all the information I need to decide what to do.
Thanks very much again for all your help, really appreciate it! Yall are awesome.

Much love
Jim
snow conditions
Quote:

But if BASI is widely accepted then I might be tempted to do level 1 in dome and then go abroad for one season to do level two and three in one go.

Not gonna happen. Even if you were good enough to do level 3 with little/no training (and you won't be after 9 weeks and 1 season), there are too many courses that need to be done, and too many hours shadowing, to do l2 and l3 in one season.

Check out the BASI website, there are a lot of hoops to jump through.

Speak any other languages? Austrian system is relatively quick to get through. Apparently the Norwegian system is good too, and I'm sure I heard they run courses in English...
snow report
Unfortunatly I dont speak any other languages except for perfunctory French, but I do have a burning desire to learn something properly, and wherever I go I will try my best to adopt it.
snow report
In my experience, the best places to teach are Chile and Japan, which is why I work in those places. However, if you don't have lots of experience (7/8 seasons) you can't get a sponsored visa in Japan, so can't work more than the one season you get with a working holiday visa. Chile you need to speak spanish and be a full cert, and then have some connections if you want to work in the best schools, so it'll take a while.

Soo, if you actually want to make a living out of it, I'd say do a training course for your L2 this summer in NZ, then Canada or Japan, back to NZ to train for your level 3, that will probably take another few seasons, then once you have that, maybe Switzerland and South America to mix it up. First few seasons you will make next to nothing, maybe around season 4 you can expect to actually save enough to not work too much between seasons.

Obviously there are other ways to do it, but this is pretty much what I did and it worked for me.
latest report
Cynic wrote:

Good grief Shocked You are going to be one miserable baѕtard as you get older . . . Life is a learning experience with the goal to end it as happy and fulfilled as possible. That doesn't mean rich . . . it means that you never stop challenging yourself both mentally and physically. As we age our priorities change, we discover new joys and turn away from occupations that do not make us happy. We can turn onto any path at any age to follow a dream no matter how nebulous . . . it's not the destination that's important, just the journey.

I don't know who's sock muppet you are but any mind capable of conjuring your persona is beyond pity.
snow report
Quote:

Given that you can't even get most entry-level instructor qualifications until you are 18 or thereabouts, you're not really leaving much margin!
latest report
Man Called Jim wrote:

franzClammer : The two places I have found so far are EA: http://www.easkiandsnowboard.com/ski-courses/ski-internship-courses/ and Ski instructor academy: http://www.ski-instructor-academy.com/. You better not steal all the places from me now Very Happy.

I think it's a marvellous idea..........No fear of me taking any places...have you seen my skiing Laughing
I do hope you keep us nosey gits snowHead posted on what you decide.

As far as language is concerned: if it's Austria, I recommend Michel Thomas course on CD, theyre a very good head start. I've done the Italian & French intro courses, I'd imagine he does German too...... in fact, check this link

http://youtube.com/v/kUAe7i-NSEI

I wish I'd done it 20 years ago!
Good Luck Jim
snow conditions
Man Called Jim, as someone said above, check out the visa situation in Japan. I think NZ citizens get a working holiday visa in Japan, which is probably how most doing that course then work in Japan following. The guaranteed job part may not be possible for you which may influence your decision.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Man Called Jim, no, it's for Euro qualys only.
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
Man Called Jim, as someone said above, check out the visa situation in Japan. I think NZ citizens get a working holiday visa in Japan, which is probably how most doing that course then work in Japan following. The guaranteed job part may not be possible for you which may influence your decision.

UK citizens get Japanese working holiday visas as well.

If you want to do NZ quals in Japan, I'd check out niseko instructor academy, their trainees do some work at my school during the busy periods, Niseko is a much more fun place to live than minakami/canyons.
latest report
jimmer, I stand corrected!

In that case I don't understand why there aren't more Brits working in Niseko!
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
jimmer, I stand corrected!

In that case I don't understand why there aren't more Brits working in Niseko!

There's quite a few! Almost 20 at the school I work at.
snow report
jimmer, all I seem to see are Aussies, they're all over the place! I've met one British instructor, he was older and experienced though.

Which ski school do you work for?
snow conditions
NBS, orange jackets, based at the bottom of family run in Hirafu.
ski holidays
Ideally aim for an ISIA qualification. There are two levels of ISIA membership (stamp and card). Stamp issued at most level 3 (which for some associations is the top level) and card at level 4.

Your English speaking options as follows:

BASI ( stamp and card) UK
IASI (stamp and card) Ireland
NZSIA (stamp and card) NZ
PSIA (stamp) USA
CSIA (stamp) CANADA
APSI( stamp) Australia

Norway runs courses in English as is under inspection to issue card as well as stamp

PSG
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap, BASI 3&+ need revalidation yearly
ski holidays
Hi Man Called Jim. I'm new on here so have only just stumbled on this thread. I've not read all the replies but have seen some interesting posts. I have the CSIA Level 2 qualification and I'm training for my Level 3 which I hope to do next season. On the age thing, I'm 55 and last season was my first teaching. It comes highly recommended.

I maybe a little biased but I do have my reasons for doing CSIA as opposed to BASI, based on the whole philosophy and approach. Not to crticise BASI, CSIA just suits me better.

If you were thinking at all of doing a season long course, I'd strongly recommend Section 8 Ski based at Mount Washington BC. (For the record, I didn't train with them, nor do I have any interest in the company - I just happen to teach there) It's a very different location and if you examine the course, it's about the most comprehensive one on the market. The people who run it are outstanding in knowledge and approach. Also it's not the preserve of the young. Last season there was an age range from 20s well into 40s. Just a thought!
latest report
Funny to see this bumped, I'm just in discussions about training the ea course in Japan this year, so you should definitely do that one! Wink
ski holidays
Ade57 wrote:
On the age thing, I'm 55 and last season was my first teaching. It comes highly recommended.

Hello Mate
How long you been skiing???
I'm 48 but only had 5 wks so am not at a level yet to do Instructor course
They all reckon we're too old! NehNeh
ps welcome to SH snowHead
snow conditions
Thanks for the welcome!

I've been skiing a long time but always on a tight budget and mainly with my kids who are now grown up. It's only in the last few years I've been able to really dedicate myself to it. Me and my wife decided that we'd better do a season now or regret not doing forever. We've both qualified in the last few years. We were in jobs we hated so took the risk. It's the best thing we ever did and the best time of our lives. I can't wait for next season.

As long as you stay fit in mind and body and are happy to take lots of advice from people sometimes 30 years younger, there's just no issue.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy