Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Channel 4 skiing starts 20 November

Poster: A snowHead
Once again, Hothouse Productions have been commissioned by Channel 4 to run their ski coverage this winter.

Starting Sunday 20 November, every World Cup race up to the 2006 Winter Olympics will be covered. In addition to alpine skiing, the snowboard, nordic and freestyle World Cup circuits will be included.

A total of 39 programmes equalling 62 hours of coverage will be broadcast on Sunday mornings, Wednesday evenings and Friday evenings.

Presentation is by Nick Fellows, with special guests including Konrad Bartelski, Ken Read and Martin Bell.

The full details are on: http://www.hothouse-productions.com/worldcupskiing

It's assumed that the BBC have rights to the Turin Winter Olympics in early February - details to follow.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great stuff! For when a Eurosport fix just isn't enough! Plus the ES coverage sometimes seems slightly unpredictable (you set video / sky+ and get motocross, or miss the start or end etc) Presumably this is due to them having to abide by whatever foreign video feed they have to take though. Anyone know more about these things ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith wrote:
Once again, Hothouse Productions have been commissioned by Channel 4 to run their ski coverage this winter.

Starting Sunday 20 November, every World Cup race up to the 2006 Winter Olympics will be covered. In addition to alpine skiing, the snowboard, nordic and freestyle World Cup circuits will be included.

A total of 39 programmes equalling 62 hours of coverage will be broadcast on Sunday mornings, Wednesday evenings and Friday evenings.

Presentation is by Nick Fellows, with special guests including Konrad Bartelski, Ken Read and Martin Bell.

The full details are on: http://www.hothouse-productions.com/worldcupskiing

It's assumed that the BBC have rights to the Turin Winter Olympics in early February - details to follow.

I presented a section on Ski Suday once, I looked a right C U Next Tuesday. It did go out on Mothers day though, "Hello Mum" Twisted Evil
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Channel 4 "coverage" is just a spoiler. Designed to take programming from another channel and dump it at the extreme ends of the schedule when only hardcore fans/students or shift workers will bother to watch. Those running the sport are just grabbing the cash and running with no interest in the long term promotion of the sport. I haven't seen any snow sport since the BBC lost the contract and I'm a fan! I'd like to see the viewing figures, they must be apalling compared to the old Ski Sunday.

When was the last time you heard a conversation at work about downhill racing or any other winter sport? used to happen all the time in the good old days

And yes I know I could set a video but my point is only existing fans are going to do that, no new blood will be switching on.

I'll get off me soap box now Mad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rich, I thought videos and DVD recorders were invented for just that. However your point about new views is valid. Unfortunately most of the "new viewers" are only interested in watching the crashes, and don't take up ski-ing - the crashes give them a very false impression of the sport. Most people (I think) now have Eurosport which does televise most of the races live.

I find it astonishing that anyone could defend the BBC's diabolical coverage of the sport over many years - daft comments like "he's carving well, staying off his edges" and so on. David Vine refusing to mention Nigel Smith because Nigel punched him out once - OK not a sensible thing to do, but if you've never done a downhill don't even think you know what it feels like - let alone when someone suggests you weren't really trying! The BBC refused to allow racers to be interviewed while wearing sponsorship logos, thus causing huge problems with sponsorship for the British Team. Britain should clearly focus on the technical events, where we have home training possibilities - no - all the money goes to downhill because people only want to see crashes. Sorry - rant over.

No offence to Martin Bell BTW - big respect.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, I agree that Channel 4's coverage of WC skiing is much better than Ski Sunday, particularly when Ski Sunday stopped being a discrete programme and was subsumed into Sunday Grandstand. I'd like to see Ch 4 improve what they do (compare it with coverage of F1 for example), and it would be nice if they stuck to the same time of day for each broadcast. Last season I missed the start or end of too many programmes because they varied the start time from week to week.

I'm in the category of people who don't have Eurosport, which is a real disadvantage for a wintersports enthusiast.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 3-11-05 11:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski wrote:
Most people (I think) now have Eurosport which does televise most of the races live.

I think not. Far more people only have "council telly" as we call it than have sky or even freeview, despite what Sky et al would have you believe.

C4 coverage is the best it gets for the likes of me Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought council telly was Sky, there's more dishes on the row of council houses just up the road from here than there is houses Shocked

Sky free in my house as well although I keep looking at a TUTV subsubscription for Eurosport to go with Freeview.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FenlandSkier wrote:
I keep looking at a TUTV subsubscription for Eurosport to go with Freeview.

I looked at this, but Eurosport isn't broadcast during the mornings via TUTV so not much point for me if I can't see the live coverage of WC racing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I believe Sky are now (rather late in the day) proposing a sort of "choose your own " package. This may be interesting for many people. I'd love to get rid of all the games and sex stuff off my sky card.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's Sunday morning lie ins cancelled then! The choose your own package might be worth investigating for Sky...I refuse to pay their overinflated package prices for a few hours of viewing each week and we can't get Freeview down here til 2008 or thereabouts Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nbt it was just on our local news yesterday that the "majority" of local people were unprepared for the forthcoming changes to television. It will ALL be digital by 2010 ? I think thats the date anyway.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, sex stuff ?!? Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I love this prog which I watch from my bed before setting off for my Sunday morning jog, with thoughts of skiing spuring me on snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
That's Sunday morning lie ins cancelled then!

You need Sky+ - can't recommend it highly enough, set it to series link and never miss a programme then watch it when it suits you. Greaaat.
latest report
masmith wrote:
You need Sky+

not at 40 odd quid a month I don;t. over 12 months that's the cosy of another ski holiday. hmm, wonder which I;d prefer?
snow conditions
I'm as budget conscious as the best of them, but even I'd struggle to get a ski holiday for £480 (all in).

Besides, Sky+ doesn't cost a penny extra.
latest report
masmith wrote:

I thought it was £10 per month unless you subscribed to one of the premium sport or movie packages?
snow conditions
Quote:
I thought it was £10 per month unless you subscribed to one of the premium sport or movie packages?

So if you do already subscribe to one of those channels then it doens't cost a penny. At least that's the way I justified it!
ski holidays
masmith wrote:
Quote:

So if you do already subscribe to one of those channels then it doens't cost a penny. At least that's the way I justified it!

To get Sky+ 'free' you have to spend at least £34 a month, and new subscribers have to pay a one-off fee of £49 for the box. I don't watch enough TV to justify that kind of expenditure, so I'll stick to Freeview.
latest report
I refuse to give any of my cash to the evil Murdoch empire!
latest report
Quote:
To get Sky+ 'free' you have to spend at least £34 a month, and new subscribers have to pay a one-off fee of £49 for the box. I don't watch enough TV to justify that kind of expenditure, so I'll stick to Freeview.

but if you had that expenditure anyway .....

How much are 'free'view boxes these day btw?

(but I get your point) Smile
ski holidays
masmith, plain Freeview boxes are down to about £30-£40.
latest report
masmith wrote:
I'm as budget conscious as the best of them, but even I'd struggle to get a ski holiday for £480 (all in).

Well, Mrs NBT and I did the EOSB for a tab under £800 for the pair of us - although Ise was kind enough to give us a lift to and from the airport, so it might have been close to £900 if we'd had to hire a car. Still under £480 each though.

and sky+ does cost extra since it means me getting sky in the first place!
ski holidays
homphomp,
Quote:
we can't get Freeview down here til 2008 or thereabouts

We live on the Wilts / Hants border and there are no plans to provide freeview. Shocked Shocked
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
homphomp,
Quote:
we can't get Freeview down here til 2008 or thereabouts

We live on the Wilts / Hants border and there are no plans to provide freeview. Shocked Shocked

What will happen when the analogue broadcasts are turned off?
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, As I heard it that's rather alarmingly soon - 2010 or something? I don't take either sky sports or films, but it still costs be a pretty penny - I'm definitley up for a choice.

nbt, if you got a dish and a free to air box (very cheap) you could get Eurosport on German TV (Astra). I think you can choose the language you hear. It's strange how the UK seems to believe that all sattellite TV is Sky - NOT TRUE, and Eurosport is on every satellite I believe.
latest report
ew've actually got an old analogue receiver and dish from the previous tenants - the only small problem is that the box would have to be plugged in on the other side of the room from the telly, as that's where the cable comes out of the wall Shock(

I'm also rather worried about this whole "switching off" thing- I have 3 tvs, 2 vcrs and a DVD recorder, each of which has a prefectly good bbuilt in tuner - so I have to then tune each one toi a single external tuner that I have to buy?

Someone's making a *lot* of money out of this...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt wrote:
I'm also rather worried about this whole "switching off" thing- I have 3 tvs, 2 vcrs and a DVD recorder, each of which has a prefectly good bbuilt in tuner - so I have to then tune each one toi a single external tuner that I have to buy?

In theory you could distribute the output from a Freeview decoder to the AV inputs on your TVs, VCRs and DVD recorder, but the disadvatage of this is that you would only be able to watch/record the same channel on all of your stuff at any particular time. You wouldn't be able to watch one channel and record another channel, for instance. A better option would be to buy more than one Freeview decoder, ideally one for each bit of AV kit you have.
ski holidays
roll on Nov 20th !!
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:
roll on Nov 20th !!

Yup, that's my first day of skiing this season, so I couldn't agree more!! Smile
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, thats cruel to inform me of that,im sulking now Sad
snow report
Sorry Chris Smile
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
A better option would be to buy more than one Freeview decoder, ideally one for each bit of AV kit you have.

Precisely my point - I have six bits of kit, so even if the cheap boxes are "only £40" that still 6 * 40 = £240!
latest report
We have a dish on our wall from the previous owner but all I get is YORKSHIRE
latest report
Paul Mason, perhaps it's a pudding dish then Puzzled
snow report
I'll say it again because I think Charlotte missed it

SEX STUFF ! Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
Paul Mason, I was ignoring it, not missed! Look at the list of programmes after 22.00 - about 20% of the channels are various girlie (no boys you note) progs - I'm actually quite surprised they're allowed, but there you are, I don't watch them and I don't see why I should pay for them - or all that "reality" TV or .................... too much ranting is probably bad for the soul. Mad
snow report
easiski I'm in bed by 22.00 most nights Very Happy
ski holidays
w00t! skiing on telly! *drools* wish i had sky... never mind, time to set the video recorder (and it had better work this time!)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy