Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the cheapest week to ski and where?

Poster: A snowHead
I`ve been looking at booking next years ski holiday (Alps) and was yet again struck by how much more expensive school holiday times are.

I idly wondered what every ones opinion was on which is actually the cheapest/best value week to book a holiday?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Normally the week before Christmas and the first two weeks after new year week, for absolute cheapest.

For next season the cheapest school holiday week is 13th April. I have booked what I consider a pretty good deal for that week with Mark Warner - we are going to Les Deux Alpes but had the same price for Tignes and Le Plagne.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First two weeks of December (depending on resort). Limited opening though
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Normally the week before Christmas and the first two weeks after new year week, for absolute cheapest.

I agree.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Our apartment in Val Thorens was fully booked in early december this season. The only 2 weeks we were not fully booked were 2nd and 3rd week of Jan.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CaravanSkier, end of January is also quite cheap. The week after New Year has been moved up into High Season in many areas because of the demand from Eastern Europeans (it is their Christmas and New Year). As Easter is quite late next year you may find that the first week of February is also in the low season bracket.

Other times for cheapies are usually middle of March but after the Fasching Holidays over here, but with Easter being so late next season that may not happen and the Easter week itself could be cheaper. Who knows really how the TOs operate to fix their prices. School holidays always seem to be the highest prices which was why, when I was teaching we always went DIY if I was not already fixed up with wok somewhere. We dealt direct with hoteliers who work on the resort pricing models NOT UK school holiday pricing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think I might quite like the idea of a week in early Jan, without all the family in tow it might be quite nice to look forward to it after Xmas.

Do we think it varies at all from country to country. I know the French school hols push prices up in France whilst they are on. Is there a similar effect in other countries?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CaravanSkier, yes. Resorts frequented by Russians will get busy the first week in Jan - Russian New Year, I think
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Where do the Russians go?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CaravanSkier, Famously to Courchevel 1850 but probably other posh resorts too. Not Les Saisies, thankfully. wink Cheapest times round our way are any time other than New year and the 4 French school holiday week. Easter is low season for renting apartments, even this year when it's early and snow should still be pretty good.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bansko has a large number of Russian tourists. I have hard mention of Courchevel on here.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CaravanSkier, Loads of Russians in Canazei (Dolomites) this January, and that was after their New Year break too. Quite a few in Ischgl the other week too - I guess that might count as a 'posh' resort, but Canazei definitely isn't.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CaravanSkier, loads coming into Austria throughout the season, but the main season for families is their Christmas and New Year weeks. The Salzburg Ski instructors association is even running Anwärter courses in Russia and bringing those who pass over to teach Russian speaking guests throughout the season.

The ones I've met have not been at any different from any other nationality - there are loads of Brits, Germans Dutch, etc who can be loud and chavy or whatever you want to call them. I think a small number of extremely rich oligarch types did end up in Courchevel and they flashed the cash and bought in hookers etc if the gossip rags are to be believed. But I also heard at the same time that a 10% rule was bought in to prevent the place being overrun (could also be gossip I have no idea). However the stories have grown in the telling! I was told recently that the price rises in my favourite hotel (a lovely 5*star place right by the lifts) were being driven by the Russian clients, but when I popped in to say hello most of the clients were Germans and Austrians! I think they are some people's bête noires and blamed, possibly unjustly for exorbitant prices rises! wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarlet wrote:
CaravanSkier, Loads of Russians in Canazei (Dolomites) this January, and that was after their New Year break too. Quite a few in Ischgl the other week too - I guess that might count as a 'posh' resort, but Canazei definitely isn't.

Same 4 years ago when I was in Canazei in Jan, they all looked so glum waiting for their flight home at Verona airport.

You would have thought a fun week away would have lifted their spirits, but I suppose another couple of months of a harsh Moscow winter isn't much to look forward to!

That was the year the famous Italian skiracer Alberto Tomba had an altercation with a Russian tourist, so maybe the welcome wasn't so warm in Italy.

http://sport.sky.it/sport/altri_sport/2009/01/14/Tomba_ko_lite_parcheggio.html
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Interesting. I would not particularly mind what nationality was making a resort busy, but I do prefer the quieter places and times if I have an option.

I have just been looking at packages for over Xmas and I think I`ll struggle to beat the price I got last Xmas (around £1,300 pp) arranging it all myself, hence the question about cheaper weeks. Looking at the ads I had wondered in the present economic climate if a package might be cheaper, but even accepting some compromises it seems not. At least over Xmas!
latest report
CaravanSkier, depending on your accommodation requirements you could definitely do Les Saisies (and plenty of other places I'd have thought) for less than £1300 a person. Packages will be expensive at Christmas because it's school holidays but if you DIY, especially if you can avoid Sat/Sat, you can do quite a cheap holiday and Christmas costs less than New Year for private rentals. I have a friend whose apartment is let on a flexible basis but it's already booked for 10 days for next Christmas by my niece - so they can drive on quieter roads and ski on 2 Saturdays. Ski passes - a major component - cost the same any time of year (something that has always puzzled me, actually - you'd think there'd be some mileage in elastic pricing of ski passes).
latest report
I am tempted by Les Saises as I`ve said before I love the ski area there. BUT its the getting there! Transfers from Gen airport are just so expensive and I can not fit everyone plus ski gear in the car, even just from the airport. Its a 7 seater 4x4 with roof box but we struggled to get 5 in last year for the drive down and once we had all met up at Bourg train station my sons took the bus up to La Ros whilst we shopped then drove up with just 4 of us in the car. I would happily self book if I could find somewhere with an easy, not hugely expensive transfer from an airport, that some of the family can drive to. rolling eyes Don`t want much do I? Very Happy
latest report
Some areas do have peak/off peak pass pricing – Dolomiti Superski is one, also Ischgl and I'm sure there are others. The saving isn't massive (about €25 in the Dolomites, I think), but it all helps.

I also noticed that the price for airport parking was higher in February than January, and they still overbooked the carpark. rolling eyes
snow conditions
CaravanSkier, Our cheapest, best value week was last season, starting 21st April in Livigno. Two bedroom apartment for four of us, including 4 six day lift passes, all for 690 euros! And we got to ski fresh powder every day.
latest report
RobinS that was a real result!

Scarlet, e25 would not really tempt most people I don`t suppose, if other factors come into the equation. But as you say every little helps Smile
snow conditions
CaravanSkier, book cheap flights for everyone, well in advance, then hire cars from the airport. And I thought you were looking for a cheap quiet week "without the family in tow"! How many people do you need to transport?
snow report
It is amazing most of January is low / cheap season, when it is such a great time to ski.

Prices also depend where you are coming from; French school holidays drive accomodation costs, but eg this year flights from here at Easter are far more expensive than Feb flights
snow conditions
There are two distinct possibilities Pam! I don`t know yet which way the wind will blow! If I sneak off without the kids I would go at the cheapest time, otherwise I am constrained by uni term dates. The party could be as few as 3 (cheap week) or up to 9 with everyone.

Car hire works out expensive because of the whole young driver thing with under 25`s!
snow conditions
Quote:

Car hire works out expensive because of the whole young driver thing with under 25`s!

I had you down as older than that, CaravanSkier wink
snow report
Very Happy Thank you Pam, that made me laugh!
snow report
CaravanSkier wrote:
I idly wondered what every ones opinion was on which is actually the cheapest/best value week to book a holiday?

Usually the cheapest way of booking a holiday is close to departure date. Tour operators always have excess capacity in low season weeks particularly january that they have to sell off. doing it this way gives you the added advantage of skiing wher you know the snow has fallen rather than guessing in advance where is going to be good.

Unless you are determined to go resort x with a large number of people or you have a particular low useage regional airport that you have to fly from picking up last minute packages is generally cheap and more snow sure.
ski holidays
Thats a thought, I have received lots of emails offering last minute bargain breaks for the last few weeks. Hmmmmm much to ponder Smile
snow conditions
I got a good deal booking for week starting 18 Jan next year in Meribel. Waiting until the last minute wasn't really an option for me as I need a single room and it's part of a big Europe trip coming all the way from Australia and I had my heart set on 3V or Val D'Isere. It's not like I can just go to France any time I want. So jealous of you guys there in the UK!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, the question of single rooms! Few and far between it would seem! I would love to find more catered chalets that offer single rooms but those that do seem to offer a broom cupboard with a shared bathroom at the bottom of the garden for which you pay a lot more money! Very Happy
ski holidays
CaravanSkier,

I haven't been here, but this looks amazing, especially if going solo, and won't break your budget:

http://www.nagens.ch/accomodation-and-rooms.htm

I'm thinking of going myself next season, likely solo, mid-week or something, just to spoil myself Little Angel you know I deserve it!
snow conditions
Apparently the room I've got as a single in Meribel is an ensuite and has a balcony. It has however already sold out for not only that week for all weeks around that date which says something I think. I've also got my eye on a nice looking place with an ensuite single room in Saalbach. After 2 weeks sharing rooms during a trip to Japan a few years ago never again! Obviously not everyone is in the position to book so early though.
snow conditions
Wow that looks spectacular Heidi! And of course you deserve it Smile
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
CaravanSkier, book cheap flights for everyone, well in advance, then hire cars from the airport. And I thought you were looking for a cheap quiet week "without the family in tow"! How many people do you need to transport?

Shocked Very Happy Just realised son no 1 is now out of the young persons range of being charged a premium for car hire. How on earth did that happen Puzzled Very Happy
However,if he comes it does indeed open up the opportunity for hiring!
snow report
just back from a tour of Austria taking in a total of about 10 resorts stretching all the way from Gaschurn in Montafon Voralberg to Kleinarl to the east in ski amade. had another post where I was looking for info on some resorts and thanks to Samerberg Sue, for some great inside info. having visited many resorts we went all the way back to Gaschurn which had the best mix of good sking/snow cover, prices, and nightlife. anyway to my point CaravanSkier,
looks like a lot of the accomodation are doing special offer accom+cheap lift pass for the week 18th -25th jan 14. we worked it out a decent (basic)apartment and lift pass approx 280eur. ryanair do cheap Memmingen flights and also you have Zurich airport which is a short train journey away. really nice resort with zero Irish or British skiers , and you can get a main course for 15 eur approx. a 5cl beer from 3 eur in the locals only bar to 3.10for 3cl in the boom boom bars.Samerberg Sue, sorry didnt get the chance to meet up but didnt stay in your part of the world, this time!!
snow report
Sounds wonderful value garc. Just need the family to let me know now weather its all of us at Xmas again, gulp! or 3 of us for a cheap week (not skimping on accommodation quality) early in the new year! The pockets want one choice and the heart the other Smile
snow conditions
In low season you ought to be able to get basic, decent, accommodation and lift pass in a whole range of places for 280 euros a person. You certainly can here. A ski in/out apartment like mine - two bedrooms and a sofa bed - can be rented for €350/400 in low season and the whole area lift pass is 184. Most renters put 6 people in the apartment, using the sofa bed, which makes it €250 a head. "Plat du jour" lunch from €12 - 15. The beer is more expensive but maybe wine is a little cheaper? wink

I think some of the Austrian places win out on much shorter and cheaper transfers. Taxis to get out here are certainly expensive, though hiring a car between 4 is not ruinous. It is actually not possible now to get to Les Saisies by bus from Geneva - or not at most times of the day. I tried for friends in January, after I'd been injured and couldn't drive. It used to be possible via Albertville but rather oddly there are now no buses from Geneva which stop in albertville (though vast numbers of them go through Albertville to get to the Tarentaise etc).

It's a pain, but does keep the rabble out. wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy