Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying to Geneva March 2006 short break accomodation in a snow sure resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am flying to Geneva March 6 2006 with 3 friends. We will hire a car and travel what is necessary. (Did Barcelona to El Tarter last year so distance isn't a big issue) We are looking for a hotel in a snow sure( if there is such a thing) resort, that will accept a four night booking Mon-Fri in France, or Italy at a push. We don't really want to leave it to the last minute to book. Has anyone any suggestions?

We went to Andorra last year and got fantastic snow over the same period, but want to try something new.

Thanks

Very Happy Puzzled

Oh by the way we are not a Scott Dunn types and we are looking for something reasonably priced. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chamonix rocks in March, however we're not really a family a family resort. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is a lads trip, taking the family in half term. One of us is a learner though and I thought Chamonix was for serious skiers?? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mfamily2 wrote:
This is a lads trip, taking the family in half term. One of us is a learner though and I thought Chamonix was for serious skiers?? Very Happy

That's nuts. We are not a 'Ski resort' as such, more of a mountain town. The sking is not for the elite, it's just a little dis-jointed and will require a car and good organisational skills to get everyone on the hill together, but then it's like that always with the boyz, no? If you wan't to ski and give the Apres ski a bash, i think Chamonix is hard to beat. Being a proper town and being a group of lads, i guess the nite-life might be quite important. Chamonix is unbeatable for a nite out. There is some gentle skiing too, nah, there is some awsome skiing. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't see a problem here. Just decide where to stay. 4 nights maynot be popular with the in-resort accommodations so staying away could be a way out, especially if you got a car.

There is a Ibis in Sallanches (bottom of Chamonix) that takes any number of night at 50 Euro per room per night.

From there within 45 minutes you can hit

Evasion Domain (Megeve/St. Gervais/Rochebrune) 6 miles to St Gervais,
Les Contamines 14 miles (same road to St Gervais),
Grand Massif Domain (Flaine/La Carroz/Morilon/Sameon) 16 miles to La Carroz
Chamonix valley 17 miles,
French side Porte Du Soleil (Avoriaz/Les Gets/Morzine) 23 miles to Les Gets.
La Clusaz/ Le Grand Bonand 28 miles to Grand Borand,
Italian Courmayeour through Mont Blanc tunnel is 29 miles away

Some of these place bound to have snow in March. If not how about driving 2 hours or 58miles to Courchevel (3 Vallees).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Deary me it's late and I've had a couple of glasses.

Snow sure doesn't really exist anywhere without a glacier, but at that time of year you should be pretty much snow sure most places. Easy to get to places include Morzine, Cham', Flaine, Les Gets, etc. I would be tempted to leave booking to at least January (to see what base is developing) as you are missing the holiday season (IIRC?) so shouldn't have too many accomodation probs.

Aosta isn't un-doable as Champoluc eg is about 3 hours drive. PM me if that becomes an option and I will recommend hotels. Can't guarantee availability tho!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From past experience in the area Les Contamines, being deep in the end of the valley and not crowded, has been surprisingly good with snow. Grands Montets is one of the highest and has been described by ifyouski" often the best late-season conditions in Europe".
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mfamily2, HOTEL TELEMARK, LA TANIA, 3 VALLEYS, FRANCE describes itself as "FLEXIBLE ACCOMMODATION IDEAL FOR SKI WEEKENDS IN COURCHEVEL AND MERIBEL". Shouldn't be a problem with snow in the 3 valleys at that time of year ...

the mountain centre also in La Tania, operates on a similar principle but appears to be cheaper.

p.s. I wasn't shouting, I just copied off the website ...
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I stayed at www.lagalise.com in Val d'Isere for a 4 night break a couple of years ago. It's reasonably priced (for Val) and very well located. Mind you prices seem to have gone up about 50% in under 3 years !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mfamily2, if you're really worried book the flights and car hire now, then book accomodation nearer the date when you know where the snow is.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Ibis hotel I suggested in Sallanches is a bussiness grade proper hotel taking any number of days of booking. It is part of the Accor chain that owns Formula 1, Etap, Mercure, Novatel..... and bookable by Internet.

Sallance is the entrance to Chamonix Valley, cross road to Megeve and one motorway junction further than Cluses ( for going to Flaine and Let Gets areas). It is a less than an hour drive from Geneva by tolled motorways. Sallanches is a decent size town with loads of shops, restaurants, couple of hypermarkets and big places to get skiing gears.

I have been visiting skiing resorts from Chamonix Vallley for a number of years and would rate Sallanches strategically equivalent to Bourg St Maurice of the Tarantaise. Both are at the middle of a huge skiing region. Bourg is 120 miles from Generva and requires a solid 2.5 hours drive but you can walk to the funicular to Les Arcs. Staying in Sallanche the nearest skiing opportunity is 5 to 6 miles up the mountain to St Gervais/Megeve. The smaller Les Houches is about similar distance up the Chamonix Valley.

With a car one can hunt down the resort with the best snow and thus choosing an expensive in-resort accommodation can be risky, unless it got runs at high +3000m altitude like Tignes/Val D, Les Arcs/La Pagne and 3 Vallees.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Try www.skivillaroger.com - 5 minutes to lift into Les Arcs, plus the rest of Paradiski area, then Ste Foy, La Rosiere, Tignes and Val all within 25 minute drive.....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Out of high season you can rent apartments for short breaks in Flaine direct from the estate agents. I've used Astrid Immobilier (see www.flaine.com ) for details. Flaine is pretty easy to get to if you've got a car and the skiing is great.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Only just registered on this site recently and its mind blowing how helpful everyone is many thanks for the replies!!!!!!!!!! Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy