Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding mounting question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going to mount some dynafits to my new Movement Sluff's later. Done this before. Trying to find the middle point longitudinal of the ski, measured them lengthways and then popped a mark half way along. Thing is that the ski information on the top sheet which I assumed would be in the centre is quite far back and there is a small arrow on it that looks like it is meant to mean something. If I mounted them there I would be like some mono boarder. Any ideas or tips to get the true midpoint.

Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
blobbi, No expert but I think you normally find the middle by "pressing" the ski down on a "flat" surface and mark the contact points where the tip & tail edges just leave the flat surface, the middle point being between the two marks. Confused
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blobbi - i am no expert either however, having mounted bindings before, the information on the top sheet is where the binding should typically be mounted. As in the centreline of your boot ( there will be a small line on the boot or raised plastic line) should sit above this. What you will find is that for park skis this is typically more towards the centre of the ski, to produce a neutral feel for riding switch and balancing the skis for rotations. Piste and big mountain skis this will be more towards the back.

Where you select to mount is based on style and skill level. Usually taking it back increases float if you're just pow skiing at the sacrifice of onpiste and vice versa
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Line up boot mid-point (marked on your boot) with ski mid point (marked on the topsheet).
Then use that to work out where the toe and heel piece of the binding need to go.
It is wise to check the ski mid-point is the same on each ski with a tape measure : top sheet graphics can have errors.

Some people prefer to mount +/-1,2,3cm (etc) depending on the ski and preferences.
If in any doubt mount on the manufacturers centre line.

TGR fourm has paper templates for dyanfit which make your life much easier.
Would also recommend a proper ski drill bit. You need to be sub 0.5mm accurate as any error will integrate along the boot length - especially with dynafit. Best plan it to mount the toe, insert boot & lock toe, then mount the heel.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
paper templates.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/153971-Binding-Mount-Paper-Templates
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
blobbi, the arrow is the correct boot centre line. As said above, best to measure with a straight/taught tape from the tip from both skis as most manufacturers allow upto 5mm of top sheet movement & it still be an A grade ski.

If you plan on installing Quiver Killer inserts then for Dynafits you should mount the heel holes (only) 5mm forward so you won't have to won't have to wind the heel turret fore/aft to access the screws to remove the bindings etc Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks to you all, helpful, will mount where they suggest and hit the pow pow this Sunday.....5mm forward, cheers spyderjon Little Angel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, are sidewall marks more reliable? i still measure, but are they better?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
carroz wrote:
spyderjon, are sidewall marks more reliable? i still measure, but are they better?

Usually yes, but they still have errors.

The big issue is if there's a good few mm between the two skis then which one is the correct one, especially as most manufacturers don't publish their mounting location dims.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, Thanks........ I have been doing an average between the two if they are different, my coreupt pows were different, however i had some armada jj the other day mounting them for a mate and one ski was 4mm total length shorter than the other! They were also made of sawdust, no resistance to drilling at all, like some kids skis.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
carroz, Are you sure you are drilling in the binding mount?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cynic, yes, in the right place, and with the correct bit, just compared to some others (fischer for example) it was like sawdust. Screws went in ok and torqued ok at 4nm, and they have held, so no problem, but it was like drilling into well nothing! I don't know if the skis were seconds etc, especially as one was shorter than the other, they were a pair, but they ski ok so thats all that matters really
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carroz, regularly drilling in to skis, & especially tapping them for inserts, gives one a pretty good heads up as to core quality etc. I often come across poor or inconsistent construction, which is often masked by a metal layer. The worst cores by a country mile are in Line skis.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The worst cores by a country mile are in Line skis.

Agreed.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
To give u some feedback...drilled as advised at balance point which is marked on ski. Spoke to movement (after bindings mounted) and they said I could mount a pure alpine binding anywhere up to 3cm forward of this. Any how's, been riding then this week and they feel great where they are. Thanks for the help.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy